12th man lawsuit settled

cajunaggie08

Seriously, what right does a fanbase have to declare itself so special that only they can declare themselves the 12th man?

You got me.

I think it's very silly. Pandering to the fans. The Seahawks have taken it to a particularly goofy extreme, going so far as to retire the number 12. Desperation shows.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As you know, the 12th Man is more than a trademark, greater than football and certainly more than changing the course of a football game... It creates friendships where none existed before, heals wounds that seemed to be beyond repair and creates a common language that Aggies speak all over the world.

The trademark can make gold from lead. The trademark can prevent divorces. The trademark can help heal the ozone hole. The trademark is all-knowing. We must not disparage the trademark, lest we incur its wrath. All bow to the trademark.

What a joke Mets shoudl sue anyother teams that chant Lets GO fill in the blank, than.

that got me thinking, what would be equivalent in baseball. In the NL it would be the 10th man? and in the AL the 11th man?....

For the Reds, there is sort of a 26th man. The Reds logo mascot, Mr. Red, wears (or at least he used to to do so; I haven't checked in a while) number 27. Numbers 1-25 represent the twenty-five players on the roster, number 26 is for the fans, and Mr. Red wears 27. Kind of a neat explanation.

Just because TexasA&M and the Seahawks settled doesn't make it precedent setting law. There was a settlement because the 1) Seahawks didn't want to get robbed for real cash and 2) Texas A&M didn't want the possibility of losing their trademark protection. The Seahawks could have demonstrated enough in court to show a lack of uniqueness to the trademark. This settlement in no way prevents others from attempting to fight the trademark.

If trademark protection is granted, the owner is obligated to protect that right against all infringement. By the number of teams that use the 12th man reference, it could be argued the Aggies have let their rights elapse. It'll be interesting if another team challenges their claim again.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Here is my view on it (but my grandparents worked at A&M and my Mom went there, so my view could be a bit biased)...

A&M had the trademark since 1990, but could have been letting other teams use it to a certain extent without taking legal action. Once Seattle started using it just about everywhere, A&M took notice and finally took legal action.

And ColeDMD, that was a very educated, well-thought out, and creative insult. Very original.

What a joke Mets shoudl sue anyother teams that chant Lets GO fill in the blank, than.

that got me thinking, what would be equivalent in baseball. In the NL it would be the 10th man? and in the AL the 11th man?....

For the Reds, there is sort of a 26th man. The Reds logo mascot, Mr. Red, wears (or at least he used to to do so; I haven't checked in a while) number 27. Numbers 1-25 represent the twenty-five players on the roster, number 26 is for the fans, and Mr. Red wears 27. Kind of a neat explanation.

Been a Reds fan all my life and never knew that factoid. Thanks. :D

Seriously, what right does a fanbase have to declare itself so special that only they can declare themselves the 12th man?

You got me.

I think it's very silly. Pandering to the fans. The Seahawks have taken it to a particularly goofy extreme, going so far as to retire the number 12. Desperation shows.

Only thing worse is "We retired #1! Because the fans are #1!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here is my view on it (but my grandparents worked at A&M and my Mom went there, so my view could be a bit biased)...

A&M had the trademark since 1990, but could have been letting other teams use it to a certain extent without taking legal action. Once Seattle started using it just about everywhere, A&M took notice and finally took legal action.

And ColeDMD, that was a very educated, well-thought out, and creative insult. Very original.

I'm not sure where "just about everywhere" means. Seattle retired #12 in 1984 in which a banner hangs in Qwest next to Steve Largent's #80. They started the flag raising ceremony 2 years ago before each home game. They have one banner that reads "Welcome to Qwest Field Home of the 12th Man" in the stadium. To me, that hardly rates as everywhere.

so by that way of thinking... the Seahawks would be retiring 54, not 12 ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

This is so ridiculous. Other teams should jump on the ridiculous trademark bandwagon

I propose,

The Yankees trademark pinstripes. Sorry Reds, sorry Astros, sorry suit wearing

business men everywhere.

Chicago trademarks ALL and ANYTHING white sox, as well as actual white socks.

make them pay or make them wear argyle

The Cubs trademark the use of Ivy on walls, sorry ivy league.

The Angels need a lawyer, those Christians have been using their trademark

royalty free for thousands of years.

And I haven't even touched on the Native Americans! Just wait until they realize

instead of fighting sports names, THEY SHOULD BE CASHING IN ON LICENSING

THEIR NAMES OUT!!

wow, only in America.

That might not be laughable if the Seahawks hadn't retired the #12, for "the 12th Man," in 1984. Six years before A&M trademarked the phrase.

As it is, the only thing sillier than Seattle retiring the number is A&M pretending that they have some sort of monopoly on the phrase. :rolleyes:

are they going to copyright "two-percenter" while they're at it?

I don't know, but a trademark for "tea-sip" would be nice, wouldn't it? :D

And why stop there?....trademark 'Ole Sarge', 'humps', 'ssssssss' (good Ags never boo), 'Army', 'Dixie Chicken', 't.u.' and above everything else 'TRADITION'. No one use that word again or the maroon and white Gig'em Kool-Ald police will show up at your doorstep with a lawyer.

newsig.jpg

Archived