MLB honors Mother's Day

HatManTC

whats your take on this? do you think the fans will flip out as they did for Spider-man 2?

ESPN.com article

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Hulking Jim Thome. Rugged Manny Ramirez. Brawny Adam Dunn.

"The thought of these big macho men, swinging pink bats to help women with breast cancer ... what a novel idea," Louisville Slugger president John Hillerich said Tuesday.

AP Photo/Brian Bohannon

Dozens of major-league players are expected to use pink bats in Mother's Day games.

Major League Baseball granted permission for players to use the colorful bats -- baby pink, at that -- for Mother's Day. They're part of a weeklong program to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Derek Jeter, David Eckstein and Marcus Giles are among dozens of players who intend to try them Sunday. This is the first time pink has been approved for bats -- dyed at the Louisville Slugger factory, they're usually black, brown, reddish or white.

Kevin Mench was among several Texas players who wanted their mother's names burned on the bats. The Rangers slugger, who homered in seven straight games earlier this season, also planned to have a bat for his grandmother, who died from breast cancer.

"My mom is the glue of our family, and I just want to do something to thank her for all that she has done," Mench said before Tuesday night's game against Minnesota. "At the same time, we are raising money for a great cause."

Howard Smith, senior vice president for licensing for MLB, said the idea for the pink bats struck a chord with commissioner Bud Selig and other executives. The question was how many players would use the sticks.

"It takes a big man to swing a pink bat in a major league game," Smith said.

More than 400 bats were being made for 50-plus players. David Ortiz, Jim Edmonds, Mark Teixeira, Michael Young and Hank Blalock were also on the list.

The Louisville Slugger factory started making the bats last week. Players were still placing orders as of Tuesday, and bats will probably be made and shipped overnight until Thursday or Friday.

"The response has been phenomenal," Hillerich said.

The bats posed something of a logistical problem for Louisville Slugger. Each player uses a different model and size, so coloring, branding and shipping them for Sunday's game has been a challenge, company spokesman Dan Burgess said.

Along with the pink bats, players and all on-field personnel will wear pink wristbands and a pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness on their uniforms. The pink ribbon logo will appear on the bases and on commemorative home plates, and the lineups will be written on pink cards.

The bats, along with the home plates and lineup cards, will be autographed by the teams and will be auctioned later, with the proceeds going to the Breast Cancer Foundation.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Fans better not be outraged for this as they were for Spider-man...

I'm praying to god that Barry Bonds hits his 715HR with the pink bats. Now that would be funny.

Oddly enough the Daily Quickie in ESPN.com raised those same issues this morning.

MLB Going Pink

When MLB puts breast-cancer awareness logos on the bases this Sunday, I hope baseball purists won't have the same freak-out they did about MLB putting Spider-Man movie logos on the bases.

MLB will blanket the game in pink: Pink wristbands for the players, pink lineup cards, special pink hats for fans and, in my favorite detail, special-edition pink bats, a first for MLB.

(Can you imagine the mixed emotions from fans if Barry Bonds hit No. 715 using a pink, "Fight Breast Cancer" bat? How could you begrudge him?)

Well, Giants/Phillies wore pink ribbons last sunday (although I think that was early in the game), so.... hey, bonds hitting a home run with a pink bat doesn't seem so far fetched...

I saw, I came, I left.

I honestly wouldn't mind the Cardinals swapping all of their red with pink for the game. They already sell hats and jerseys like that for women fans, and the players' wives association is always plays a big role in setting up the Cardinals breast cancer support events (although, I believe part of that was because the recently departed Matt Morris' wife was a breast cancer survivor, but I'm not entirely sure).

I still get a kick out of the different places that painted the visitors' locker rooms pink.

But, to be serious, this is a very good cause. A little pink on Mothers Day to help fight breast could go a long way. Good for baseball to do this.

I honestly wouldn't mind the Cardinals swapping all of their red with pink for the game. They already sell hats and jerseys like that for women fans, and the players' wives association is always plays a big role in setting up the Cardinals breast cancer support events (although, I believe part of that was because the recently departed Matt Morris' wife was a breast cancer survivor, but I'm not entirely sure).

that would be a cool idea.

the durham bulls are doing that.

February 21, 2006

Immediate Release

Matt DeMargel

(919) 687-6516

BULLS TO LOOK ?PRETTY IN PINK? FOR BREAST CANCER AWARENESS

Over the years the Durham Bulls have worn several different uniforms, including outfits to honor the Negro Leagues, the Bulls' 100th anniversary and the Carolina Hurricanes. This season, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and Time Warner Cable have the Bulls thinking pink.

On Saturday, April 22nd, the Bulls will wear pink jerseys as part of "Swing for the Cure", an event to raise awareness about breast cancer. The jerseys will be available in a silent auction during the game with all proceeds benefiting the Komen NC Triangle Affiliate.

"This is certainly a unique way to bring attention to breast cancer," Durham Bulls General Manager Mike Birling said, "All of us know someone who has been affected by some form of cancer and we are committed to help raise money and awareness."

Fans may purchase a game ticket and pink t-shirt for only $14, with $3 going to the Komen NC Triangle Affiliate. Breast cancer survivors will pay only $7 for the package.

"The Komen NC Triangle Affiliate is honored to be the focus of this wonderful event," said Pam Blondin, Executive Director of the Komen NC Triangle Affiliate. "Of the money raised, 75 percent will support education, screening and treatment programs right here in our community, and the remaining 25 percent will support cutting-edge research on a national level. Just as important, this event is an opportunity for women and men to learn more about breast cancer and to celebrate survivorship with hundreds of people who have experienced this life-threatening disease. We are grateful to the Durham Bulls organization for their enthusiastic support."

The Bulls take on their cross-state rivals, the Charlotte Knights at 5:00 PM on Saturday, April 22nd. Ticket packages for this game are available now at the Durham Bulls Box Office or by phone at (919) 956-BULL.

Durham Bulls Link

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

So they're making stuff pink. It's for a great cause, promotes awareness and raises a lot of money for the cause. It's not like the players are wearing pink uniforms. It's really just subtle little things in the grand scheme of things.

Why should there be any outrage?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I love the idea, personally. It doesn't hurt anything and it's for a good cause, so there's no harm. I wouldn't mind seeing the Red Sox swap out their red for pink, just like STL suggested for the Cards. Wouldn't be the greatest look in the world, but it'd be a unique way to help bring attention to this cause.

IUe6Hvh.png

This is great. This is for a good cause, Spider-Man was all about making some damn money, and that doesn't fly. It was Selig's test of the fans to see how he could try and milk the game for all it's worth.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I know it's a good cause, but having pink bats and bases just seems a little silly. I don't see how it raises awareness of breast cancer. Who isn't "aware" of breast cancer at this juncture?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know it's a good cause, but having pink bats and bases just seems a little silly. I don't see how it raises awareness of breast cancer. Who isn't "aware" of breast cancer at this juncture?

Well you see, the pink equipment is used in the games and then they are auctioned off... with the proceeds going towards research.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I guess this also implies a blue-out on Father's Day correct?

I don't think so. Unless blue is a color associated with testicular cancer, which it might be - I'm not sure.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm praying to god that Barry Bonds hits his 715HR with the pink bats. Now that would be funny. :D:rolleyes:

One can only hope, my friend. :D

But on a serious note, I think it's a good idea, but I think to a degree, it's almost TOO much. Pink bases and bats are a good idea, but I dunno - is 100% of the proceeds from these bats and equipment going to breast cancer research? If so, then I'm all for it.

Archived