Twins Ballpark One Step Closer to Reality

no97

A Minnesota Legislative conference committie tentativly approved a Twins Ballpark today, now it moves on to the full House and Senate. The ballpark would be paid for with a .15% sales tax in Hennepin County (and would not require a referendum). Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenti has voiced his support to sign a ballpark bill in this form.

Moose

As much as I'd like to stand arm-in-arm with my fellow Minnesota natives in our steadfast opposition to using taxpayer money to subsidize billionaires, I would be absolutely crushed if that opposition led to losing the Twins.

So I'll be elated beyond words when this vote passes. I'll be booking my tickets as early as humanly possible for opening day of the new Twins ballpark. It'll be a landmark day for all Twins fans.

As much as I'd like to stand arm-in-arm with my fellow Minnesota natives in our steadfast opposition to using taxpayer money to subsidize billionaires, I would be absolutely crushed if that opposition led to losing the Twins.

So I'll be elated beyond words when this vote passes. I'll be booking my tickets as early as humanly possible for opening day of the new Twins ballpark. It'll be a landmark day for all Twins fans.

I agree 100%. On the record, I'm agaisnt it. Off the record, I hope it happens.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The initial drawings for the Minneapolis/St. Paul park were nice. I'd like to see that building come to life.

As I posted in the Retro/Cookie-cutter thread in the Sports Logos forum, the ballpark should have a nice view of down-town Minneapolis:

ph_gallery05_690.jpg

and here's a nice photo of the proposed site:

ph_gallery09_690x446.jpg

Moose

Thank god. I was getting worried that if they didn't get their stadium, the Twins would've been contracted. Which would've placed the Rochester Red Wings on uncertain grounds.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

This is a breath of fresh air for all of us Twins fans.

But that doggone Minnesota Legislature nearly killed it. Why were the votes so close?

Actually, I know the answer. Because the Minnesota Legislature is made up of a bunch of dunderheads who can't look into the future at all. I have been watching that body from here across the river in Fargo, thinking Minnesotans have to do something about these idiots. I mean, I thought our North Dakota Legislature is bad.

But all's well that ends well. Whew!

Congrats to the Twins fans. Quite a year for MLB on the stadium front, 3 ballparks on the way (NYY, NYM, WSH) and 3 more possibly on the way (MIN, FLA, OAK).

Add in a huge win for the Royals as voters approved a sales tax increase to renovate and improve Kauffman, and it has been a good year for MLB.

By the end of the decade, I suspect only two or three teams will be in stadiums that weren't built (or renovated) after 1988.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Congrats to the Twins fans. Quite a year for MLB on the stadium front, 3 ballparks on the way (NYY, NYM, WSH) and 3 more possibly on the way (MIN, FLA, OAK).

As opposed to all those who live in Hennepin County or at least visit. Taxes like this are regressive and while minute compared to "tourist taxes" like on rental cars or hotels, it is still a tax. on this point, call me a Libertarian, but pollad could have built this himself. At over half a billion dollars, how long to they estimate for it to be paid off, even with sellouts? I know that Arlington, TX paid off Ameriquest Field (nee The Ballpark) 10 years early, but this still seems much. Look at the cost per seat, that's even more than Safeco Field.

Congrats Twins fans, you children will be paying for this!

Cost per seat at many new venues

Archived