Whatever happened to Gary Thorne?

ninersdd

I'm disliking him as a baseball commentator even more after every time I hear him mispronounce Juan Encarnacion's name. It's "En-cahr-nah-see-own", not "On-car-nay-see-own".

Are you surprised it's Gary Thorne? That's par for the course. At least he isn't calling him a player on the other teams name yet. That's why I am so glad I don't have listen to him this playoffs.

he's doing Espn daygame baseball now. He should have stuck to hockey.

Uh, it's called a contract... ESPN doesn't have hockey, and Thorne has a contract with ESPN, end of story. Not much he can do about that. He did do some of the NCAA hockey that is sindicated by ESPN-U (but that's mostly a feed picked up from other local channels, and thus local announcers as well), and, if I recall, did the play-by-play for the Frozen Four as well.

Moose

I'm disliking him as a baseball commentator even more after every time I hear him mispronounce Juan Encarnacion's name. It's "En-cahr-nah-see-own", not "On-car-nay-see-own".

I was about to kill myself during that game. Encarnacion was everywhere, and Thorne could not say his name right. It was a hell of a game and I had to turn it off because it was so annoying.

Is Thorne still the Mets play-by-play commentator?

No he hasn't been for years. Now I think it is Gary Cohen who was their radio voice for years. The last few years they used a mix of guys.

Gary Cohen moved to the TV side this season. Tom McCarthy and Howie Rose are the radio voices of the Mets. Who have had the best radio team in New York for many years, and this is coming from a Yankees fan.

No he hasn't been for years. Now I think it is Gary Cohen who was their radio voice for years. The last few years they used a mix of guys.

Gary Cohen moved to the TV side this season. Tom McCarthy and Howie Rose are the radio voices of the Mets. Who have had the best radio team in New York for many years, and this is coming from a Yankees fan.

How can you say that?

Bob Uecker is the man!

How can you say that?

Bob Uecker is the man!

Very easily. Bob Ueker was never a broadcaster for the Mets or Yankees. I said the best radio team in New York, not in MLB. Even then I'm more partial to the Giants radio booth of Miller and Flemming.

I have to say it's been nice not having to listen to the likes of Thorne, Levy, etc. with OLN/NBC doing games this year. While OLN/NBC may not have a stellar staff either it's hard to argue with Emrick Cuthbert and Strader.

he's doing Espn daygame baseball now. He should have stuck to hockey.

Uh, it's called a contract... ESPN doesn't have hockey, and Thorne has a contract with ESPN, end of story. Not much he can do about that. He did do some of the NCAA hockey that is sindicated by ESPN-U (but that's mostly a feed picked up from other local channels, and thus local announcers as well), and, if I recall, did the play-by-play for the Frozen Four as well.

Moose

He did.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

How can you say that?

Bob Uecker is the man!

Very easily. Bob Ueker was never a broadcaster for the Mets or Yankees. I said the best radio team in New York, not in MLB. Even then I'm more partial to the Giants radio booth of Miller and Flemming.

Very true, Uecker is entertaining, but has never broadcast the Yanks or the Mets, outside a game of the week format, or a Brewers game...

Moose

edit - and thanks OnWis97; I thought I remembered Thorne doing the FF...

Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxall of the Reds were the best baseball broadcast team. If ever a duo of announcers should have been inducted into baseball's HoF, it should have been Marty and Joe. Marty is already in, Joe should have gone too.

Gary Thorne is quite possiblily the worst play-by-play guy in the history of sports. I cannot stand him one damn bit. He's more proof that in entertainment you fail upward.

I hope to God that once his contact with ESPN ends NBC/OLN don't even touch him with a 20 foot pole.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived