San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) primary logo incorrect

Torvic

When the franchise changed its name from "San Jose Clash" to "San Jose Earthquakes" in October 1999, the yellow-colored sunrays version (currently incorrectly listed on this site as the "Primary logo", which is also erroneously placed on the uniform images here and here) and the silver-colored sunrays version (currently incorrectly listed on this site as the "Alternate logo") were the two final logo mockups. The front-office eventually chose the silver-colored sunrays version as the Primary logo, and that's the one that's always been on the uniforms, paraphernalia and such.

As a matter of fact, except for the helmet and gloves of the short-lived mascot Rikter the CyberDog, the yellow-colored sunrays version of the logo has never been used by the organization in any manner.

As can be seen on the San Jose Earthquakes page of Terry Smith Creations, the designer of the Quakes logo as well as of the San Jose Sharks and others, the official Primary logo is on the lower-left, the official script logo is on the upper-left and the official Alternate (albeit little-used) logo is in the very middle of the page (it's the regular soccer ball with the "earthquake" effect on the bottom). The other three there are simply unused mockups.

Why am I making such a big deal for a team that no longer plays as the "San Jose Earthquakes"? Well, besides to help maintain historical accuracy, a replacement San Jose Earthquakes expansion team is set to play in MLS within the next 2-3 years, and the San Jose Earthquakes name, logos, colors and competitive records have been kept in San Jose (instead of being moved with the team to Houston last December) for just that purpose.

Hopefully that helped. :)

Interesting. But how did so many of us get versions that DID have Yellow in it?

I mean - it was PANTONE 1215 C, and called "Yellow Shock" by a number of sources that I found.

Unused logo colors?

As can be seen on the San Jose Earthquakes page of Terry Smith Creations, the designer of the Quakes logo as well as of the San Jose Sharks and others...

What's up with homeslice's fetish for cyberpunk mascots and comic book-esque logos?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Oh man, he finally put a site up! This guy has been awesome. Interesting how he had the numbers for the Quakes.

On a side note, never knew of the Barons-like Sharks alternate logo. Also nice shield marks for the Worcester Sharks.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

looking at his collection, I saw the San Jose Sabercats of the Arena Football League, I saw the secondary logo of the Sabercat in fossil form, and that is the best logo I have ever seen of the Sabercats

I can't cut and paste, but that Lake Elsinore Storm logo is very funny.

This guy has a lot of great stuff. I don't normally go for the cutesy stuff, but I loved the San Jose Lasers. Also, the Dayton Dragons, Long Beach Sting Rays and Chicago Condors all look terrific.

Are these all actual teams? Or is some of this concept work? And why hasn't the ABA hired him on retainer to redo the entire freaking league?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

either he originally designed the Dayton Dragons to be red and then they switched to green or they switched from green to red. I hope they didn't change from green to red because their use of green and black was the best use of those two colors together I've ever seen in sports.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This guy has a lot of great stuff. I don't normally go for the cutesy stuff, but I loved the San Jose Lasers. Also, the Dayton Dragons, Long Beach Sting Rays and Chicago Condors all look terrific.

Are these all actual teams? Or is some of this concept work? And why hasn't the ABA hired him on retainer to redo the entire freaking league?

Maybe because he created designs for the ABL, (women's pro basketball league) not the ABA. :)

He is a really good illustrator, but I think his logos are too detailed. All his logos have an incredible amount of detail that would get lost or muddied up when reproduced at a smaller size. If he simplified his style for logos just a bit, some of those would be phenomenal.

He also seems to be a fan of gradients in logos, which detract from a look in most cases.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This guy has a lot of great stuff.  I don't normally go for the cutesy stuff, but I loved the San Jose Lasers.  Also, the Dayton Dragons, Long Beach Sting Rays and Chicago Condors all look terrific. 

Are these all actual teams?  Or is some of this concept work?  And why hasn't the ABA hired him on retainer to redo the entire freaking league?

Maybe because he created designs for the ABL, (women's pro basketball league) not the ABA. :)

He is a really good illustrator, but I think his logos are too detailed. All his logos have an incredible amount of detail that would get lost or muddied up when reproduced at a smaller size. If he simplified his style for logos just a bit, some of those would be phenomenal.

He also seems to be a fan of gradients in logos, which detract from a look in most cases.

I absolutely agree. Great artist/designer...not sure how well most of those would translate into good sports logos.

Gradients (almost always) = bad idea.

How would most of those get embroidered? They'd look very "muddy".

Certainly the Dayton Dragons and the older Lake Elsinore Storm logos are in/have been in use, but the logos by themselves just wouldn't work unless they were displayed in a large format. The smaller they are, the worse they'd get.

Just my two cents...as an amateur/afficianado.

All I'm saying is that this guy looks like he wants work and ANYTHING is better than More Charlotte Crunk/Montreal Matrix monstrosities.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived