Garvey, Rice, and Dawson

rebelx

Does anybody know why Steve Garvey isn't in Cooperstown? Based on the career he had, it seems like he should be. The guy's barely getting votes anymore. Do character issues have something to do with it?

Also, does anyone think that Rice or the Hawk will make it in eventually? Their vote totals have been climbing every year, from what I understand, so that's a good sign. But still, you never know.

I don't remember where I got this, but...

WHY JIM RICE IS WORTHY OF HALL OF FAME INDUCTION

A Hall of Famer should have produced at least one superlative season, a strong 3-year stretch, hitting or pitching dominance for over a decade

and career totals which compare favorably to the best in Major League Baseball history. Jim Rice has performed to this standard. In an era when

few hitters featured power and average, he was an extraordinary ballplayer. The following statistics prove that Jim Rice is worthy of a Hall of

Fame induction.

CAREER (1974-1989)

? Led A.L. with 382 HR and 1451 RBI during his 16-year career, all with Boston.

? Rare Power & Average: The retired players with career HR & AVG as high as Rice are Aaron, Foxx, Gehrig, Mantle, Mays, Musial, Ott,

Ruth, T. Williams (all HOF).

? Seventeen players with 350+HR and a .290+ AVG have been on the HOF ballot. All but Rice are HOF: Aaron, Cepeda, J. DiMaggio,

Foxx, Gehrig, Kaline, Mantle, Mays, Mize, Musial, Ott, F. Robinson, Ruth, Snider, B. Williams, T. Williams.

? 11-time 20+HR

? 8-time All-Star

? 8-time 100 RBI

? 7-time .300 hitter

? 6-time Top 5 in A.L. MVP ? more than anyone else during his career (Murray 5)

? 4-time 200 hits

? 4-time 39+HR ? more than any other M.L. player during his career (Schmidt 3)

? 4-time A.L. TB leader

? 3-time A.L. HR leader

1978 A.L. MVP (.315 AVG, 46 HR, 139 RBI, 406 TB, .600 SLG, 213 H, 121 R, 15 3B)

? Only M.L. player to lead either league outright in 3B, HR, and RBI

? Only A.L. player with 400+ TB since 1937 (Joe DiMaggio)

? A.L. record for biggest margin in TB (113 over Murray)

? Only A.L. player with 46+ HR between 1969 (Killebrew) and 1987 (McGwire)

3-YEAR STRETCH (1977-1979)

? Only player in M.L. history with 3 consecutive seasons of 35+ HR and 200+ hits

? Tied A.L. record with 3 straight seasons of leading league in TB (Williams, Cobb)

? Ruth and Foxx are the other A.L. players with 3+ straight 39-HR, .315 seasons.

The article goes on to comapre Rice's stats to other players from his era, but I couldn't copy and paste that without screwing up the columns.

Jim Rice should be in the Hall of Fame. He was the league's most feared hitter in the late 70's and early 80's. Eight seasons of over 100 RBI, seven seasons of 25+ home runs (pre-steroid era). A career .298 hitter. He might have had a World Series ring as well if an injury didn't prevent him from playing in the '75 playoffs. He also was an excellent fielder, aptly filling the shoes of Carl Yastrzemski in the shadow of the Green Monster.

I think two things have demerited Rice's career enough to be almost entirely avoided by those casting votes for enshrinement ? a penchant for grounding into double plays during his last few seasons, and a surly disposition that didn't make any friends among the press.

It's a shame. Rice was definitely a great player during his era and should be in the Hall of Fame. Maybe now that he's on camera more as an analyst for NESN, it can cast a more favorable light on him to the public eye and voters will remember his name.

I think Andre Dawson merits some consideration from the committee...438 HR, 1951 RBI and 314 SB aren't stats of a mediocre player. Unfortunately, I think his high strikeouts and bad knees are too much in everyone's memory to get much more than token votes.

As far as Steve Garvey goes, I don't think he'll get in. Living on the East Coast, he didn't get much publicity or recognition out here. He seemed to have a consistently solid career, but aside from his consecutive games streak, the only thing I remember about Garvey is that he might have inspired Shawn Kemp to be "father-of-the-year".

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Those 3 should be in the Hall but here the bigger question.

Why the Red Sox has not retired Tony Rice #?

Why the Cubs has not retired Andre Dawson #?

Why the Dodgers has not retired Fernando Valenzuela & Steve Garvey#?

:grin:B)(**)

Those 3 should be in the Hall but here the bigger question.

Why the Red Sox has not retired Jim Rice #?

Why the Cubs has not retired Andre Dawson #?

Why the Dodgers has not retired Fernando Valenzuela & Steve Garvey#?

:grin:B)(**)

I can't speak for the others but the reason the Red Sox haven't retired Rice's number yet is because he's not in the Hall.

From the Red Sox website:

The Red Sox policy on retiring uniform numbers is based on the following criteria:

? Election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame

? At least 10 years played with the Red Sox

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Here in Los Angeles from the 60's to 1994, "The Jim Healy Show" was a staple of radio listening for listeners from 5:30-6pm on either KFI, KLAC or KMPC in its last days. Healy would interject quotes from athletes or celebrities to compliment the sports stories he read. Over the years it became not only an information show from all of his countless sources but also the best 30 minutes of anyone's day because of the comedy of the soundbytes.

Anyway, copy and paste this http://www.johnspeedie.com/healy/garvlong.wavto hear a few of these soundbytes and the history behind them. The whole reason I bring this up is Tommy Lasorda had this great bit about the lack of Dodgers hitting with Steve Garvey as an easy target, evidenced here http://www.johnspeedie.com/healy/garvlong.wav. Enjoy

JT

As far as I'm concerned, Marcus Garvey should be in any hall of fame he wants! Oh, wait..

Others that should be in the hall of fame but aren't:

Pete Rose (well, maybe not)

Jim Rice

Andre Dawson

Lee Smith

Keith Hernandez

Dale Murphy

Jose Canseco

And most of all....

Steve Tasker and Art Monk!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived