Detroit Lions logo concept

-(dp)-

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, another update. The primary logo is the same, but there is still something that doesn't seem quite right. However, I have added a different wordmark, which was made from scratch (still not quite there, the S especially doesn't look right to me.)I also made an alternate logo, drawing a D that looks similar to the wordmark I made, and making it terminate into a Lions tail. I am a little more happy with this one. What do you guys think?

Uniforms are in the works. They are mostly done, except I am trying to make a number font as well.

LionsLogo123009.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

Great update! The "D" is fantastic, and I think the issue that Nole42 brought up isn't really enough to make a change. If you eliminated the lower point, the mane would end up looking like a fireball type flow. I believe this is how an actual mane falls on a lion as well...

Another update... Now added uniforms. With the uniforms, I wanted to keep them a little more simple, with nods to previous eras. When barry sanders played, his sleeve stripes were cut off about half way. I did that for this concept, but made the striping honolulu/navy/silver on both jerseys. As a nod to the Thanksgiving throwbacks, I used silver numbers on the homes (though I outlined them in navy) and a stripeless helmet. I used the numbers from the recent rebrand, but with some changes. I removed the inner slashes, and I wanted them to match the wordmark somehow. The points on the numbers seemed to be too much, but I added them to the outline of the numbers. The outlines are low contrast compared to the jersey (silver on white, navy on honolulu) so that the little points aren't too jarring. This keepes the numbers easily legible, yet adds a little flair to match the wordmark. I included blue pants, like they had during the Barry Sanders era, to be worn with the white jerseys on certain occasions. The D logo was added to the hip of both pants.

No changes were made to the logo since the last update, but here they are again, so that everything is in one post. I may photoshop some more stuff, like a field, etc. I will still work on the logo if there is anything that can improve it. Comments and criticism are greatly appreciated.

LionsLogo123009.png

LionsUniforms152010.png

LionsUniformsAction152010.png

LionsUniformsPS.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

Those unis looks sick man. Personally, I think you should use more white and navy. I'm not liking the Silver-Blue-Silver combo along with silver numbers, that's too much. I say either make the pants white or make the numbers white. Also, on the roads, I think a navy number outline would look better to the eye.

Great work though!

that is one of the coolest lion logos I have ever seen. Did you base that off something? Or is it custom built

The very first version was just me messing around for the first time in Illustrator. I went from that and kept fixing things as people gave me suggestions. THe more recent versions are based on a drawing I did trying to fix some of the issues in the most recent one up to that point. So no, I didn't really base it on anything except my drawings and the suggestions of the CCSLC. If I can find them all, I could possible post some of my drawings. I know where the ones are that I used for the wordmark and D, but I would have to dig a little to find my drawings I did for the Lion.

MegatronSig2.jpg

• 10 months later...

*cough* oh man, there's so much dust in the air from this thread, it must've been in a dark corner for a long while.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

wow. i suck at illustrator right now. but if i dedicate myself like you have, i can pretty much master it in 4 years time. not bad AT ALL. the new logo is incredible. i think its time to take my first logo design back to the drawing board.

Archived