Improving the NHL

jkrdevil

how bout we wait til all the southern teams fold, and then go to the 4 division format.

Not even gonna dignify that with an answer... Wait...CRAP I DID!!

Anyway, my way to improve the NHL: Goalies in Shoot-outs! (BTW, in this discussion, I am predneck731.)

My idea to improve the NHL--scrap shootouts...

Why get rid of shootout? It's better than having a worhtless tie at the end of the game. It's so stupid. You sit there all night watching a game, especially if it's an exciting one and it ends in a tie!? Keep the shootout, the NHL is fine. I just think the divisions need to be realigned and they need to put themselves out more as far as advertising. They've done a good job so far I give them that. But, more can be done.

Scrap the shotout becuase it's a lousy way to decide a game.

Hockey is a team sport--yes there are times when there is individual effort that results in a great play--but it still grew out of the natural play of the game.

A breakway or penalty shot comes out of the natural play of the game--and that's what makes them exciting.

Shootouts are just lineups and individual effort to decide a team game.

And what's wrong with a tie?

I have no problem with them in regular season.

Sometimes that's the best result--both teams battled fiercely--toe to toe--and they came out of it with something.

$20 says you're sitting on the edge of your chair or on your feet when your team is involved in a shootout....

Even if I were does that mean I'm entertained?

No it means I'm annoyed a team game is being settled on individual effort.

Where's my $20?

As jkr devil includes in his post-

it's a "Cheap win"

If they ever used it for the playoffs, I may stop watching.

Seriously.

I've never liked shootouts, and this goes back to before some of you were born.

It's a cheap way to end a game.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not asking you if you're entertained or not.

Pay up.

Yeah, let's not kid ourselves. It isn't like they're playing in front of thousands of people who pay money to be entertained or anything...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Pay up.

Yeah, let's not kid ourselves. It isn't like they're playing in front of thousands of people who pay money to be entertained or anything...

Seriously, how many fans go to a game saying "Man, I really hope we tie the Senators tonight!"?

Whether you like the shootout concept or not, you're lying if you say that your adrenaline isn't flowing full-speed when your team is involved in a shootout.

From what I could tell going to games and watching the Center Ice package, there were a whole lot of people standing during these shootouts. Apparently shootouts are get-out-of-your-seat entertaining for the fans going to the games.

And you get a winner out of the deal. A win in the shootout counts just as much as a win in regulation.

Pay up.

Seriously, how many fans go to a game saying "Man, I really hope we tie the Senators tonight!"?

Whether you like the shootout concept or not, you're lying if you say that your adrenaline isn't flowing full-speed when your team is involved in a shootout.

From what I could tell going to games and watching the Center Ice package, there were a whole lot of people standing during these shootouts. Apparently shootouts are get-out-of-your-seat entertaining for the fans going to the games.

And you get a winner out of the deal. A win in the shootout counts just as much as a win in regulation.

[sarcasm]Whoopie...[/sarcasm]

As I said I'm more annoyed than entertained--and that means I'm not on the edge of my seat.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• 3 months later...

I came up with a strange idea for an NHL format today. It does already require what was established as divisions up to now to piggyback off it. Here it is:

There are still two conferences, the same teams from each conference now will continue to be

under the same conference. However one team from each division will be put into a new division.

Here is an example alignment I came up with just now:

NORRIS DIVISION:

Anaheim Ducks

Carolina Hurricanes

Columbus Blue Jackets

Montreal Canadiens

Philadelphia Flyers

Vancouer Canucks

SMYTHE DIVISION:

Boston Bruins

Calgary Flames

Dallas Stars

New York Islanders

St. Louis Blues

Washington Capitals

ADAMS DIVISION:

Buffalo Sabres

Chicago Blackhawks

Edmonton Oilers

Los Angeles Kings

Pittsburgh Penguins

Tampa Bay Lightning

PATRICK DIVISION:

Atlanta Thrashers

Colorado Avalanche

Nashville Predators

New Jersey Devils

Phoenix Coyotes

Toronto Maple Leafs

MASTERSON DIVISION:

Detroit Red Wings

Florida Panthers

Minnesota Wild

New York Rangers

Ottawa Senators

San Jose Sharks

Schedule works like this:

6 games against your own new division opponents (3 home, 3 road) = 30 games

2 games against the other 24 teams (1 home, 1 road) = 48 games

4 more games against your old divisional opponents (2 home, 2 road - alternating who gets the extra home game each year.)

Sure, this will more than likely weaken all current rivalries. And, if it goes as I would have it, this system will change in a lottery each year. But it will create new rivalries each year. All the Western Conference teams who thought the travelling was unfair towards them....well, it's not exactly easier, but it's now more balanced for everyone. But with the right scheduling, all previous rivalries can be hyped up to maximum potential.

Playoffs will use the Top 16 teams. However, those 16 teams will be split up into two conference seeds and will rank the same as before ranked 1-8 by conference. Any division winners will occupy the top seeds in the conference. If say only one Western Conference team wins their division but has a lower point total than another Western Conference team in another division, the division winner gets #1 no matter what their point ranking is.

However, if a team from another division who is from the other conference is has more points, they will be placed in the other conference's playoff tree in the applicable rank (similar to the CFL's and QMJHL's crossover playoff system) If no Western Conference team wins their division, then the lowest ranked of the five division winners from the Eastern Conference gets the applicable seed 1-4 based on the point total against the other conference (but is ranked no lower than 4) in the West. If, say, a 9th and 10th team from the East has more points than the 7th or 8th team from the West, the East teams get #8 and #9 in the West.

It is very much possible that only one single team from a conference could make the playoffs. It is also possible that two current or new division rivals could square off for the Stanley Cup.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I came up with a strange idea for an NHL format today. It does already require what was established as divisions up to now to piggyback off it. Here it is:

There are still two conferences, the same teams from each conference now will continue to be

under the same conference. However one team from each division will be put into a new division.

Here is an example alignment I came up with just now:

NORRIS DIVISION:

Anaheim Ducks

Carolina Hurricanes

Columbus Blue Jackets

Montreal Canadiens

Philadelphia Flyers

Vancouer Canucks

SMYTHE DIVISION:

Boston Bruins

Calgary Flames

Dallas Stars

New York Islanders

St. Louis Blues

Washington Capitals

ADAMS DIVISION:

Buffalo Sabres

Chicago Blackhawks

Edmonton Oilers

Los Angeles Kings

Pittsburgh Penguins

Tampa Bay Lightning

PATRICK DIVISION:

Atlanta Thrashers

Colorado Avalanche

Nashville Predators

New Jersey Devils

Phoenix Coyotes

Toronto Maple Leafs

MASTERSON DIVISION:

Detroit Red Wings

Florida Panthers

Minnesota Wild

New York Rangers

Ottawa Senators

San Jose Sharks

Schedule works like this:

6 games against your own new division opponents (3 home, 3 road) = 30 games

2 games against the other 24 teams (1 home, 1 road) = 48 games

4 more games against your old divisional opponents (2 home, 2 road - alternating who gets the extra home game each year.)

Sure, this will more than likely weaken all current rivalries. And, if it goes as I would have it, this system will change in a lottery each year. But it will create new rivalries each year. All the Western Conference teams who thought the travelling was unfair towards them....well, it's not exactly easier, but it's now more balanced for everyone. But with the right scheduling, all previous rivalries can be hyped up to maximum potential.

Playoffs will use the Top 16 teams. However, those 16 teams will be split up into two conference seeds and will rank the same as before ranked 1-8 by conference. Any division winners will occupy the top seeds in the conference. If say only one Western Conference team wins their division but has a lower point total than another Western Conference team in another division, the division winner gets #1 no matter what their point ranking is.

However, if a team from another division who is from the other conference is has more points, they will be placed in the other conference's playoff tree in the applicable rank (similar to the CFL's and QMJHL's crossover playoff system) If no Western Conference team wins their division, then the lowest ranked of the five division winners from the Eastern Conference gets the applicable seed 1-4 based on the point total against the other conference (but is ranked no lower than 4) in the West. If, say, a 9th and 10th team from the East has more points than the 7th or 8th team from the West, the East teams get #8 and #9 in the West.

It is very much possible that only one single team from a conference could make the playoffs. It is also possible that two current or new division rivals could square off for the Stanley Cup.

The problem with that is the amount of travel, having Vancouver in the same division as Montreal and Carolina in the same division. Yikes. Buffalo in the same division as LA. There would be like 10 games that start at 10 pm EST.

saBS.png

The problem with that is the amount of travel, having Vancouver in the same division as Montreal and Carolina in the same division. Yikes. Buffalo in the same division as LA. There would be like 10 games that start at 10 pm EST.

See? It's not unfair to anybody! That's why it could work. It's one team from each geographic region in each division.

champssig2.png

See? It's not unfair to anybody! That's why it could work. It's one team from each geographic region in each division.

O.K., but the costs would add up, the NFL may be able to afford it but a post lockout NHL can't afford 10 west coast road trips a year. And it wouldn't help TV revenue, advertisers would not want to pay as much for a game starting at ten rather than 7.

saBS.png

O.K., but the costs would add up, the NFL may be able to afford it but a post lockout NHL can't afford 10 west coast road trips a year. And it wouldn't help TV revenue, advertisers would not want to pay as much for a game starting at ten rather than 7.

That's why God invented the greyhound bus. :D

champssig2.png

Contract teams down to 22, 11 per conference, 5-6 per division. Get rid of the Southeast division, get rid of the four newest expantion teams, minus Minnesota. Also get rid of the Pacific division, minus LA and Dallas. Then add Winnipeg and Hartford to the mix. The NHL goes back to the days where more people watched it than the NBA and everyone is happy.

Boston

Buffalo

Calgary

Chicago

Colorado

Dallas

Detroit

Edmonton

Hartford

LA

Minnesota

Montreal

NJ

NYI

NYR

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

St. Louis

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

I would make it 24, 12 per conference, 6 per division.

As such...

Boston

Buffalo

Calgary

Chicago

Colorado

Dallas

Detroit

Edmonton

Hamilton

Hartford

Kansas City

LA

Minnesota

Montreal

NJ

NYI

NYR

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

St. Louis

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

Contract teams down to 22, 11 per conference, 5-6 per division. Get rid of the Southeast division, get rid of the four newest expantion teams, minus Minnesota. Also get rid of the Pacific division, minus LA and Dallas. Then add Winnipeg and Hartford to the mix. The NHL goes back to the days where more people watched it than the NBA and everyone is happy.

Boston

Buffalo

Calgary

Chicago

Colorado

Dallas

Detroit

Edmonton

Hartford

LA

Minnesota

Montreal

NJ

NYI

NYR

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

St. Louis

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

I would make it 24, 12 per conference, 6 per division.

As such...

Boston

Buffalo

Calgary

Chicago

Colorado

Dallas

Detroit

Edmonton

Hamilton

Hartford

Kansas City

LA

Minnesota

Montreal

NJ

NYI

NYR

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

St. Louis

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Washington's no Toronto,but we support our team.Now the other four.......

Here is my idea!!

CAMPBELL CONFRENCE:

NORRIS DIVISION:

Anaheim Ducks

Los Angeles Kings

Dallas Stars

Colorado Avalanche

California Sharks (San Jose rename)

Phoenix Coyotes

ADAMS DIVISION:

Calgary Flames

Vancouer Canucks

Edmonton Oilers

Regina Bandits (expansion team)

Winnipeg Blizzard (expansion team)

Seatle Huskies (expansion team)

HOWE DIVISION:

Chicago Blackhawks

St. Louis Blues

Minnesota Wild

Kansas City Twisters (expansion team)

Detroit Red Wings

Columbus Blue Jackets

WALES CONFRENCE:

SMYTHE DIVISION:

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ottawa Senators

Montreal Canadiens

Buffalo Sabres

Hamilton Bulldogs (expansion team)

Quebec Voyagers (expansion team)

GRETZKEY DIVISION:

Boston Bruins

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

PATRICK DIVISION:

Atlanta Thrashers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

Washington Capitals

It would be played on an 82 game schedule

Each team would play:

3 home games and 3 away games against every team in their division: 48 games

1 home games and 1 away games against every team in the other divisions in their conference: 24 games

10 random games against teams in the other conference (5 before and five after the all-star break)

Cat Eyes - Josh B)

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

GRETZKEY DIVISION:

Boston Bruins

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

You spelled "Gretzky" wrong.

nobody noticed "masterson" instead of "masterton" though. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Boston

Buffalo

Calgary

Chicago

Colorado

Dallas

Detroit

Edmonton

Hartford

LA

Minnesota

Montreal

NJ

NYI

NYR

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

St. Louis

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

No Sharks? This idea sucks. :cursing:

my idea:

keep the conferences the same and divisons and everything but make it an 83 game season.

-play your division teams 7 times. treat it like a series. if you win the series, you get home ice advantage next season.

-play your conference 4 times. 2 and 2 for home ice.

-play the west 1 time each. that way an "oh no, anaheim will never see buffalo and vice versa" won't happen.

My five division format:

Canadian Division:

-Montreal Canadiens

-Toronto Maple Leafs

-Edmonton Oilers

-Vancouver Canucks

-Calgary Flames

-Ottawa Senators

Atlantic Division:

-Boston Bruins

-New York Rangers

-New Jersey Devils

-New York Islanders

-Philadelphia Flyers

-Pittsburgh Penguins

Central Division:

-Detroit Red Wings

-Minnesota Wild

-Buffalo Sabres

-St. Louis Blues

-Chicago Blackhawks

-Dallas Stars

Pacific Division:

-San Jose Sharks

-Los Angeles Kings

-Anaheim Ducks

-Phoenix Coyotes

-Colorado Avalanche

-Las Vegas Aces

Southern Division:

-Florida Panthers

-Tampa Bay Lightning

-Carolina Hurricanes

-Atlanta Thrashers

-Washington Capitals

-Louisiana Jazz

(This is just a rough draft, let me know if I forgot something or if I should add something.)

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

Archived