Improving the NHL

jkrdevil

Okay I a bit hesitant to post this because of some past posters and the reputation these type threads have got that said I'm posting it anyway because I believe it can serve as a legitimate discussion on even further improvement of the NHL, which is already the best game on earth.

On a another message board (a NJ Devils one) there is a discussion about the NHL schedule format and the emphasis on divisional rivalries. Well that got me thinking about how rivalries are built through the playoffs. We've seen these recently in baseball with the Yankees-Red Sox taken to a new level and the Astros-Cardinals start to develop because these teams have met in the playoffs in consecutive year. We've also seen it in football with New England and the Colts. The NHL playoff format doesn't lend it self to it because it is more conference based and so many teams make the playoffs. An example is the Devils-Maple Leafs. In 2000 and 2001 the two teams met in the playoffs and it was developing into a pretty good rivalry but the 2 teams haven't met in the playoffs since then and it has kind of fallen off.

The old playoff format lent itself to rivalries because it was divisional based. The first 2 rounds were to decide a divisional champion then the conference championship then the Stanley Cup Championship. Teams would face each other year after year in the playoffs on top of that they usually were 2 teams in close geographical locations to one another. While some of that had to do with the crazy amount of teams that made the playoff and expansion won't produce the same Matchups for 5 years in a row it still would lend itself to more excitement and give the first 2 rounds instant bad blood something that it is sometimes missing. In addition it would be easier for the league to market because you could sell rounds 2-4 was Championship rounds.

Obviously for this to work now the league would have to realign back into a 2 divisional format. That is where my idea comes in. For a long time I struggled with how to realign the team but keep most rivalries in tact. I found a map of the NHL today and was able to come up with this.

Wales Conference:

Patrick Division:

New Jersey Devils

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsbugh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Columbus Blue Jackets

Adams Division:

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ottawa Senators

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

Minnesota Wild

Campbell Conference:

Norris Division:

Atlanta Thrashers

Carolina Hurricanes

Tampa Bay Lightning

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Dallas Stars

Smythe Division:

Vancouver Canucks

Edmonton Oilers

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Phoenix Coyotes

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

San Jose Sharks

nhlmap.gif

Key:

Orange- Patrick

Blue- Adams

Green- Norris

Red- Smythe

Top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs. I based this off of geography and the old divisions. The only long divisional rivalry I see broken up is Detroit-St. Louis. However Detroit is reunited with a rivalry Toronto and the original 6 teams. All Original 6 teams are in the same conference with 5 of them being in the same division.

Also, remember that the schedule and playoffs under my plan would be divisional base that means travel concerns with the southern teams in the Campbell would be small as they wouldn't play the other division in the playoff until the 3rd round. Remember Toronto was in that conference for a long time and Tampa was originally in the Campbell conference as well. Also the league in the past has had different divisions having different amout of teams so they could make a schedule work.

What do you think? I think this would be better for the league as it would create more interest in the first couple of rounds. Does anyone have any other ideas?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a long time I struggled with how to realign the team but keep most rivalries in tact. I found a map of the NHL today and was able to come up with this.

Wales Conference:

Patrick Division:

New Jersey Devils

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsbugh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Columbus Blue Jackets

Adams Division:

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ottawa Senators

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

Minnesota Wild

Campbell Conference:

Norris Division:

Atlanta Thrashers

Carolina Hurricanes

Tampa Bay Lightning

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Dallas Stars

Smythe Division:

Vancouver Canucks

Edmonton Oilers

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Phoenix Coyotes

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

San Jose Sharks

nhlmap.gif

Key:

Orange- Patrick

Blue- Adams

Green- Norris

Red- Smythe

Top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs. I based this off of geography and the old divisions. The only long divisional rivalry I see broken up is Detroit-St. Louis. However Detroit is reunited with a rivalry Toronto and the original 6 teams. All Original 6 teams are in the same conference with 5 of them being in the same division.

Also, remember that the schedule and playoffs under my plan would be divisional base that means travel concerns with the southern teams in the Campbell would be small as they wouldn't play the other division in the playoff until the 3rd round. Remember Toronto was in that conference for a long time and Tampa was originally in the Campbell conference as well. Also the league in the past has had different divisions having different amout of teams so they could make a schedule work.

What do you think? I think this would be better for the league as it would create more interest in the first couple of rounds. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I like this idea a lot, but I would realign it more to what it was in the 80's and 90's (before the move to six divisions:

Prince of Wales conference

Adams Division: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa, Toronto

Patrick Division: Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington

Clarence Campbell conference

Norris Division: Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis

Smythe Division: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

For a long time I struggled with how to realign the team but keep most rivalries in tact. I found a map of the NHL today and was able to come up with this.

Wales Conference:

Patrick Division:

New Jersey Devils

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsbugh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Columbus Blue Jackets

Adams Division:

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ottawa Senators

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

Minnesota Wild

Campbell Conference:

Norris Division:

Atlanta Thrashers

Carolina Hurricanes

Tampa Bay Lightning

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Dallas Stars

Smythe Division:

Vancouver Canucks

Edmonton Oilers

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Phoenix Coyotes

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

San Jose Sharks

nhlmap.gif

Key:

Orange- Patrick

Blue- Adams

Green- Norris

Red- Smythe

I like this idea a lot, but I would realign it more to what it was in the 80's and 90's (before the move to six divisions:

Prince of Wales conference

Adams Division: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa, Toronto

Patrick Division: Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington

Clarence Campbell conference

Norris Division: Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis

Smythe Division: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

What you did was what I tried to avoid and that was not breaking up what is currently the Atlantic Division. By seperating the Islanders, Devils, Rangers and Flyers you are breaking up the Devils-Slyers rivalry and the Rangers-Flyers rivalry. Although I knd of did that with the central breaking up St. Louis, Chicago, and Detroit. Guess there is no reall good way of doing it.

Throw Boston in the Patrick and put Columbus or Pittsburgh in the Adams. Messes up a few of Boston's old divisional rivalries, but I think geographically they fit in better with the Rangers, Devils, and Flyers than the Pens and Blue Jackets do.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

NO!!!

They did this before when they were 4 divisions and here's why they stopped--it got boring!

You had the same teams playing the same teams--and little variety--boring.

Also if one division is weak then you get 1,2, or even3 teams in the playoffs that don't deserve to be there--and substandard playoffs.

Since they wen to the conference 1-8 system you have had years the most exciting series was one of the conference finals.

With this system it could be one of the division finals (and often was) yet you had 2 rounds left--again-Boring!

So I will disagree with this proposal and my reason--been there, done that--& the T-shirts were boring.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'd take this over what we have now, though it is out of selfishness--It gets the wild out of rocky mountains. The unbalanced schedule (which I hate, but most of you like) brings the wild too many games against Edmonton, etc. Having four divisions can make this less of a problem. I also LOVE the idea of bringing Minnesota in with old North Stars rivals Detroit and Chicago.

(However, with an 80 game schedule, I REALLY think everyone should play everyone twice--Is sidney crosby fun to watch? Wild season ticket holders have no idea.).

I kind of agree with Stampman for the playoffs, though perhaps it would be less boring if you did not play your division rivals in 8 regular season games a year.

It worked pre 1994 (or whenever they switched). And that was back with 21 or 23 teams when many undeserving teams got in.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here's my expansion idea:

Wales Conference:

Patrick Division:

Hartford Whalers (Expansion Team)

New Jersey Devils

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsbugh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Columbus Blue Jackets

Adams Division:

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ottawa Senators

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

Minnesota Wild

Campbell Conference:

Norris Division:

Atlanta Thrashers

Carolina Hurricanes

Tampa Bay Lightning

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Dallas Stars

Kansas City Scouts (Expansion Team)

Smythe Division:

Vancouver Canucks

Edmonton Oilers

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Phoenix Coyotes

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

San Jose Sharks

NHL: 30 teams, 2 conferences of 15 teams, 6 divisions of 5 teams, 3 divisions per conference, all playing an 82 game schedule.

NBA: 30 teams, 2 conferences of 15 teams, 6 divisions of 5 teams, 3 divisions per conference, all playing an 82 game schedule.

The NBA schedule allows each team to play every other team twice (once home, once away). Why can't the NHL make a schedule like the NBA does? Bettman has some NBA ties....he should use them.

NHL: 30 teams, 2 conferences of 15 teams, 6 divisions of 5 teams, 3 divisions per conference, all playing an 82 game schedule.

NBA: 30 teams, 2 conferences of 15 teams, 6 divisions of 5 teams, 3 divisions per conference, all playing an 82 game schedule.

The NBA schedule allows each team to play every other team twice (once home, once away). Why can't the NHL make a schedule like the NBA does? Bettman has some NBA ties....he should use them.

It's a lot harder to trasport hockey equipment then it is to transport basketball equipment.

The NBA schedule allows each team to play every other team twice (once home, once away).  Why can't the NHL make a schedule like the NBA does?  Bettman has some NBA ties....he should use them.

It's not that they can't it's that they don't want to. More divisional games mean more ticket sales, which equals more money. Let's face it that game versus the last place team in you division will sell more tickets than that game against the last place team in the other conference. Why because that divisional game is more of a rivalry. This is especially the case for the eastern teams because all the teams are so close to each other practically every divisional game is a rivalry. Do you think most Toronto fans rather play the Coyotes or have more games against the Senators and Canadiens? My guess is the Canadiens. Also this format also creates more interest when a team from the other conference comes in because that team hasn't come to town in a while. When the Caps go out west I'm sure teams sell more tickets because people want to see Ovechkin and this is there chance. If he and team come into town every year it becomes less of a draw because more people have seen him before.

Another thing for the eastern teams means it is a reduce in travel which saves money. The NJ Devils for an example can go on a 3 game road trip and never have to fly or even stay in a hotel.

Personally I like the new schedule. As a Devils fan I rather them play the Flyers, Rangers 8 times then most of the western conference.

It's a business decision.

How about 5 divisions of 6, no conferences? Playoffs are seeded 1 to 16, regardless of geography. Prince of Wales Trophy and Clarence S. Campbell Bowl awarded to the two finalists. (Has the weird as hell benefit of having two division rivals facing each other for the Stanley Cup!)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The NBA schedule allows each team to play every other team twice (once home, once away).  Why can't the NHL make a schedule like the NBA does?  Bettman has some NBA ties....he should use them.

It's a lot harder to trasport hockey equipment then it is to transport basketball equipment.

You're telling me a business that just made $2.1 Billion can't find a way to fly equipment?

It's not that they can't it's that they don't want to. More divisional games mean more ticket sales, which equals more money. Let's face it that game versus the last place team in you division will sell more tickets than that game against the last place team in the other conference. Why because that divisional game is more of a rivalry. This is especially the case for the eastern teams because all the teams are so close to each other practically every divisional game is a rivalry. Do you think most Toronto fans rather play the Coyotes or have more games against the Senators and Canadiens? My guess is the Canadiens. Also this format also creates more interest when a team from the other conference comes in because that team hasn't come to town in a while. When the Caps go out west I'm sure teams sell more tickets because people want to see Ovechkin and this is there chance. If he and team come into town every year it becomes less of a draw because more people have seen him before.

Another thing for the eastern teams means it is a reduce in travel which saves money. The NJ Devils for an example can go on a 3 game road trip and never have to fly or even stay in a hotel.

Personally I like the new schedule. As a Devils fan I rather them play the Flyers, Rangers 8 times then most of the western conference.

It's a business decision.

The schedule is great....if you have natural rivals.

How about teams like Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Colorado, and Washington, who don't have natural rivals? 16 of the 41 home games are against the same 4 teams. How are these cities with no natural rivals going to sell that 3rd and 4th game against the division's doormat? For every Toronto-Ottawa, Rangers-Islanders, Flames-Oilers, Ducks-Kings rivalry you want to enhance, you're also forcing the unwanted Thrashers-Capitals, Blues-Blue Jackets, Vancouver-Minnesota, Phoenix-Dallas games 8 times per year.

Teams like Toronto (all of Canada really), Detroit, Minnesota, Boston, Buffalo, Rangers, and Philadelphia will sell tickets, no matter the opponent. It's the lack of variety that'll hurt ticket sales in the markets where the NHL is relatively new. Also, teams like the ones listed above sell out a lot of their road games as well. Which game is more likely to sell out in Atlanta: Detroit's only visit, or Florida's 4th visit?

Bettman preached "competitive fairness" all throughout the lockout, and a division-heavy schedule isn't it. Detroit and Nashville cruised to playoff spots because they got 24 games against the Blues, Jackets, and Blackhawks; then promptly lost in the first round of the playoffs (though, Nashville losing their goalie is what did them in). When each team plays the other at least once, you have a fairer assesment of which team is better than another. Would the Cup Final be any less exciting had Carolina and Edmonton played once during the season?

If the league was concerned over travel, they'd combine road games and create multiple game homestands. Combine those California and Western Canada teams into one long trip, and the same with the Eastern teams. I'm sure these pros can handle an 8-game road trip.

I kind of agree with Stampman for the playoffs, though perhaps it would be less boring if you did not play your division rivals in 8 regular season games a year.

It worked pre 1994 (or whenever they switched). And that was back with 21 or 23 teams when many undeserving teams got in.

I'd like to see the 8 games a year toned down--and as for pre 94 or whenever--I already addressed that--been there, done that--didn't work--was boring...

In a 30 team league that plays 82 games in a season there's no excuse for not playing each team at least once--if not twice.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'd like to see the 8 games a year toned down--and as for pre 94 or whenever--I already addressed that--been there, done that--didn't work--was boring...

In a 30 team league that plays 82 games in a season there's no excuse for not playing each team at least once--if not twice.

Add 2 games to the season, then do the following:

Play the opposite conference twice a year (30 games)

Play teams in your division 6 times (24 games)

Play teams in your conference 3 times (30 games, alternating home-away advantage)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Contract teams down to 22, 11 per conference, 5-6 per division. Get rid of the Southeast division, get rid of the four newest expantion teams, minus Minnesota. Also get rid of the Pacific division, minus LA and Dallas. Then add Winnipeg and Hartford to the mix. The NHL goes back to the days where more people watched it than the NBA and everyone is happy.

here we go again with the "no NHL teams in warm weather cities" argument.

SHUT. UP. ABOUT. IT. ALLREADY. <_<

The schedule is great....if you have natural rivals.

How about teams like Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Colorado, and Washington, who don't have natural rivals?

since when do you have to be in the same metro area in order to have a "natural" rival?

I really don't know the rivalry situations for Atlanta, Washington, or Nashville. However Dallas and Colorado have plenty of heated rivalries within thier own divisions. Games against Dallas are always big for fans in San Jose, as they are for fans in Phoenix, LA, and Anaheim. Also, Colorado has some good rivalries going with Vancouver and Minnesota.

I want to see the Sharks play Dallas, LA, Phoenix, and Anaheim eight times a year, and I'm sure all those fans of those teams would say the same thing. The same can be said for the Avalanche against thier Northwest Division rivals.

There are plenty of good rivalries out there. The more intradivision games the better. Especially for the newer teams in newer markets.

The so-called "old guard" of NHL fans needs to be more open minded when it comes to the geographic growth of the sport and of fanbases. You can't grow something if you confine it to one little part of the map.

Some of this has some merit, but there are six HUGE obstacles: the names of the divisions and conferences.

Nobody outside the diehard NHL fans knew who was where back when they used these names. With the exception of MLB having the AL and NL and the NFL having the NFC and AFC, people just don't know where teams fit in, and that's why they have geographical divisions and conferences.

Norris, Adams, etc., mean very little to the average sports fan.

Archived