Bucks going with two tone floor as well

Krona

Can I just ask a question here? What is it you all don't like about the two-tone wood floor?

Personally, I think that it looks really, really sharp. But even then, now that everybody's doing it, it's just not as interesting. I preferred it when it was just Seattle.

I think the MECCA floor is a great idea.

Also, the ball in the horns logo is clearly not the new NBA ball.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can I just ask a question here?  What is it you all don't like about the two-tone wood floor?

Personally, I think that it looks really, really sharp. But even then, now that everybody's doing it, it's just not as interesting. I preferred it when it was just Seattle.

I think the MECCA floor is a great idea.

Also, the ball in the horns logo is clearly not the new NBA ball.

I love the floor.

I couldn't find a big enough picture of the MECCA Floor:

meccaarena-file-t.jpg

The fact that no one with the front office noticed the problems with the "MILWAUKEE" wordmark is inexcusable. It's futher evidence of the incompetence of the Bucks marketing staff. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that franchise will probably move somewhere else within the next ten years.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that franchise will probably move somewhere else within the next ten years.

You know what, say that to the fans of the Bucks and the state of Wisconsin. It will never happen, because Herb Kohl has stated the only way someone buys the team is if they stay in Milwaukee. That's why Michael Jordan didn't get a chance.

The fact that no one noticed the problems with the "MILWAUKEE" wordmark is inexcusable.  It's futher evidence of the incompetence of the Bucks marketing staff.  Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that franchise will probably move somewhere else within the next ten years.

That's why, in the article with the painters. They mentioned that the practice floors get done first, so the errors DON'T carry over to the arena floor, the one that fans and the like will see often.

Kyle

PS. If I see them at work next week, I will bring up your query with them and point it out. :peace:

packchampionslfroh.png

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that franchise will probably move somewhere else within the next ten years.

You know what, say that to the fans of the Bucks and the state of Wisconsin. It will never happen, because Herb Kohl has stated the only way someone buys the team is if they stay in Milwaukee. That's why Michael Jordan didn't get a chance.

I actually am a former Wisconsin resident and a Wisconsin alum. My guess is that this is what will happen:

1. Kohl won't ask for public money for a new arena because it would likely cost him his senate seat. He will sell the team citing years (decades?) of losses in the millions.

2. He will try to find a local buyer willing to keep the team in Milwaukee, but no one will be stupid enough to make that commitment given the current state of the Bradley Center and the uncertainty of public financing for a new arena. He'll tell the people of Wisconsin he tried his best, and then he'll sell to the highest bidder.

3. The new owner will ask for an extension of the Miller Park sales tax to cover the cost of a new arena, which will likely be in the $300 million range.

4. Neither the public nor the legislature will support the plan given the public outcry over the Miller Park financing plan.

5. The team will leave Milwaukee; public officials in Milwaukee will point to the basketball programs at Marquette and UWM as sufficient (and more affordable) alternatives to NBA basketball.

Can I just ask a question here? What is it you all don't like about the two-tone wood floor? Personally, I think it's pretty sharp, but maybe there's some OTHER thing we could have that I'm not thinking of, that would make it better. Seems to me your choices are...

One-tone stain (fine, traditional)

paint (*barf*)

or two-tone stain (kind of unique, in a "a few teams are doing this now" kind of way)

Right?

Different woods, alternating grain directions, burning (opposed to painting)...

Save the slugalo.

I actually am a former Wisconsin resident and a Wisconsin alum. My guess is that this is what will happen:

1. Kohl won't ask for public money for a new arena because it would likely cost him his senate seat. He will sell the team citing years (decades?) of losses in the millions.

2. He will try to find a local buyer willing to keep the team in Milwaukee, but no one will be stupid enough to make that commitment given the current state of the Bradley Center and the uncertainty of public financing for a new arena. He'll tell the people of Wisconsin he tried his best, and then he'll sell to the highest bidder.

3. The new owner will ask for an extension of the Miller Park sales tax to cover the cost of a new arena, which will likely be $300 million range.

4. Neither the public nor the legislature will support the plan given the public outcry over the Miller Park financing plan.

5. The team will leave Milwaukee; public officials in Milwaukee will point to the basketball programs at Marquette and UWM as sufficient (and more affordable) alternatives to NBA basketball.

All I can say is, it will never happen.

I actually am a former Wisconsin resident and a Wisconsin alum.  My guess is that this is what will happen:

1.  Kohl won't ask for public money for a new arena because it would likely cost him his senate seat.  He will sell the team citing years (decades?) of losses in the millions.

2.  He will try to find a local buyer willing to keep the team in Milwaukee, but no one will be stupid enough to make that commitment given the current state of the Bradley Center and the uncertainty of public financing for a new arena.  He'll tell the people of Wisconsin he tried his best, and then he'll sell to the highest bidder.

3.  The new owner will ask for an extension of the Miller Park sales tax to cover the cost of a new arena, which will likely be $300 million range.

4.  Neither the public nor the legislature will support the plan given the public outcry over the Miller Park financing plan.

5.  The team will leave Milwaukee; public officials in Milwaukee will point to the basketball programs at Marquette and UWM as sufficient (and more affordable) alternatives to NBA basketball.

All I can say is, it will never happen.

As a hardcore Bucks fan, I hate to say this, but the situation the Doc laid out has a possibility. He laid out a situation that is by no means crazy. I would cry myself to sleep for a few years if this happened, but right now there is no gurantee the Bucks will stay in Milwaukee. I'm not saying they are leaving for sure, but I will not say they are never leaving. We will find out in the next few years. If they don't get a new arena, which the public will have to chip in on, they are as good as gone.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

I'm sorry for saying this, but what were you expecting?

Is it me, or is the ball in the alt logo the new NBA ball?

It's the new "thing" now. A handful of teams do it -- Phoenix, Cleveland now, Milwaukee now, Seattle I think, and it's just boring.

If you're painting your floor a "new" way just because other teams are doing it, it shows a lack of imagination. The taste was debatable, but at least the late 90's Hornets and Rockets went for it. I much prefer those gaudy designs to the two-tone court.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3. The new owner will ask for an extension of the Miller Park sales tax to cover the cost of a new arena, which will likely be $300 million range.

I'm not a basketball fan, so I don't have dog in the fight. But I see #4 as being rather far-fetched.

Special-use taxes are much easier to continue past their original purpose than they are to get in the first place. Depending on how the Bucks (and Brewers) are performing at the time, extending the Miller Park sales tax might not be that controversial at all.

So ALL the errors are present on the practice floor.

Steinmiller has been told (by me personally) about the errors and a fellow CCLSCer works at the BC.

If the permanent Bucks floor gets painted the same way (bevel errors) then it's on.

I've never seen a major player like this roll out it's stuff so sloppy and nonchalant.

UPsetting.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Hey Gothamite, I didn't recognize you at first because of the new avatar. I should point out that I would like the Bucks to stay in Milwaukee (assuming it means staying downtown), but I'm pessimistic. I would suggest that the political atmosphere in Southeastern Wisconsin makes a new arena highly improbable (this is where Gothamite and I disagree). Without a new building, the team is almost certain to leave town. This is from Michael Hunt's article in the Journal Sentinel on Sunday:

"This is an interesting parallel study in that Seattle and Milwaukee are good, stable NBA franchises, each with roughly 40 years in the league and one NBA championship. The SuperSonics, though, have a lease that runs through 2010 in the obsolete KeyArena, which the Oklahomans would easily buy out in the event of relocation. The Bucks, meanwhile, have nothing binding them to a building that does not help them compete financially anymore.

The Bucks would never move as long as Herb Kohl holds the deed, but it isn't realistic to expect the senator to keep the team for a whole lot longer. He is said to be so upset about the arena situation that he doesn't even discuss it among close friends anymore.

The league, meanwhile, betrays a feeling of instability with its amok salaries and ill-advised relocations. Memphis and New Orleans were mistakes, as was the whole Charlotte fiasco. Seattle to Oklahoma City is another absurd proposition that just might happen in a league that lives by shortsighted values.

Worry, then, about the Packers and Brewers, but the Bucks might be the larger long-term concern."

I agree that the tax has a chance to be extended because the outcry isn't as fierce as everyone makes it sound.

The Bucks should certainly stay in Milwaukee because it doesn't even have the smallest NBA market (although in the bottom ten, maybe about seventh to last). I believe that the team will go through an arena switch for the sake of the Marquette Golden Eagles and the posterity of the state of Wisconsin moreso than for the sake of the Bucks.

Also, besides the bevel error, what are these errors that everyone is going crazy over?

Also, besides the bevel error, what are these errors that everyone is going crazy over?

First, there isn't just one bevel error, just about ever letter has at least one screwed up bevel, and the angle at which it's beveled isn't consistent (just look at the two Us).

The silver stroke around the buck is thicker on the right side than it is on the left.

The triangle isn't centered behind the rest of the logo.

Although the word "BuckS" is centered in it's box, the serifs on the B make it terribly in balenced.

That box is skewed to the right for reasons unknown and not one side of that box is straight.

The face isn't centered on the deer.

Although "Milwaukee" is centered over "UCK" in the primary, the difference in serifs between the U and K and the general shape of the K make it look shifted to the right.

The angle of the serifs change just about as much letter to letter as the beveling does.

The silver stroke around the buck is thicker on the triangle than it is off of the triangle (most noticable on the right side).

There a tiny holes between the antlers and ears that should be filled in by the stroke.

The letters are all made to different heights and are on different baselines. It isn't that noticable on the small raster images, but blow it up to be 3' tall, and it may be as much as a quarter inch difference.

The ball in the secondary logo isn't round (it wasn't round last time, either).

Save the slugalo.

I believe that the team will go through an arena switch for the sake of the Marquette Golden Eagles and the posterity of the state of Wisconsin moreso than for the sake of the Bucks.

No offense, but your statement has no basis in reality. Marquette's doing fine, and I'm not sure what the "posterity of the state of Wisconsin" is supposed to mean in this case. A new arena is needed to give the Bucks additional streams of revenue (naming rights, club seats, more suites, more retail space, etc.). That's really the only reason it's needed.

THe 3pt arc is green in the drawing and white in the photo; I hope the BC's court will be green. The white is too tough to see, and since the three point area is behind that line and not in front if it, it needs to stand out a little.

Save the slugalo.

First, there isn't just one bevel error, just about ever letter has at least one screwed up bevel, and the angle at which it's beveled isn't consistent (just look at the two Us).

The silver stroke around the buck is thicker on the right side than it is on the left.

The triangle isn't centered behind the rest of the logo.

Although the word "BuckS" is centered in it's box, the serifs on the B make it terribly in balenced.

That box is skewed to the right for reasons unknown and not one side of that box is straight.

The face isn't centered on the deer.

Although "Milwaukee" is centered over "UCK" in the primary, the difference in serifs between the U and K and the general shape of the K make it look shifted to the right.

The angle of the serifs change just about as much letter to letter as the beveling does.

The silver stroke around the buck is thicker on the triangle than it is off of the triangle (most noticable on the right side).

There a tiny holes between the antlers and ears that should be filled in by the stroke.

The letters are all made to different heights and are on different baselines. It isn't that noticable on the small raster images, but blow it up to be 3' tall, and it may be as much as a quarter inch difference.

The ball in the secondary logo isn't round (it wasn't round last time, either).

Thank you Tazz.

I love it when you lay it out. Taken in all at once it is overwhelming. At least to me.

Granted, as you said, roughly 50% of these "errors" carry over from the purple era and it's not as though I give them a pass on those. But to sit down and start over, given the 18-24 months spent on these high level projects and STILL have nobody raise their hand and question the quality of the image just boggles my mind.

Mr. Steinmiller told me [paraphrasing]"well you don't understand how many versions and iterations get sent back and forth during the process". Actually, I do. I've worked with teams over the same time frame. In fact, the final Moose All-Star logo has a discrepancy that got included because of just the same multi-version file confusion. But my error was a phrasing one. 2006 AHL All-Star vs AHL 2006 All-Star. It was NOT a production error. I don't care how many versions you are emailing back and forth, why would you EVER not finish the bevel or center the images. Surely the emails didn't read.."OK, these aren't done but imagine if I finished the bevel"

This is so terrible I can't get it out of my head. And knowing Joe Public won't notice/care and that therefore the logo will never be fixed gives me a headache.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived