MLS kit sponsorships

zjac7

From today's MLSnet.com chat session with commissioner Don Garber:

Mauricio from Dallas

I have a question regarding the kits. Is there plans for the team's sponsor's logo to be in the front of the kit?

Commissioner Garber

Yes! We're currently looking at a plan to do just that.

I guess we'll have to stay tuned...

Commissioner Garber

Um, turn the darn things over when putting the sponsor on, how's that for starters? Apply to all except New York.

Columbus, Houston, Chivas, Colorado and Real Salt Lake have no sponsors either. I'm cool with sponosrs as long as it's one on the front and nothing on the back. The MLS has enough sponsors to do this. There's no reason 3 or 4 teams should all have the same sponsor

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Commissioner Garber

Um, turn the darn things over when putting the sponsor on, how's that for starters? Apply to all except New York.

Columbus, Houston, Chivas, Colorado and Real Salt Lake have no sponsors either. I'm cool with sponosrs as long as it's one on the front and nothing on the back. The MLS has enough sponsors to do this. There's no reason 3 or 4 teams should all have the same sponsor

The worst ones are in Sweden they have loads on a shirt.

swe_p7_b3.gif

In England below the premiership they are now allowed one on the front, one on the back above the names and one on the back of the shorts.

Howecer the conference has just agreed a deal for sponsored sock ties.

logo.png

Right now we have the worst of all possible worlds - the ugly clutter (the team name) without any of the benefits (sponsor money).

Correction. MLS has the ugly clutter (team names on front for all teams, sponsor names on back for certain teams) and the benefits (from sponsor names appearing, amongst other places, on the backs of certain team jerseys).

This would be a great move. MLS needs sponsor dollars to market this sport and the back of the kits aren't going to cut it. They need to catch up with the rest of the world and put sponsors on the front with the crests.

Some teams will probably have to tweak their crests a bit, but who cares?

I am not a fan of sponsorship logos on the uniforms at all. It makes the league and the teams look like they're prostituting themselves for the sake of a dollar. The MLS is already on the right track to turn a profit with their soccer-specific stadiums and the new TV deal, where they actually are getting paid for the first time.

Union.png

I wish the replica shirts then would have the sponsors on them as well.

They do, but ONLY if you order tehm from the right source(MLS or Onionbag). Otherwise you can only get names and numbers added. But you are right, the replicas should already have the sponsors stuff on their regardless of if you decide to customize it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I hve no problem with it, as long as it is controlled, the reality is that sponsorship dollars keep teams alive and if its going to cost you a little ad on your guernsey in order to survive, i have no problem, over here all our major league have sponsors on their guersneys and its not a problem, yes all replics get sold with the sponsor and thats why sponsors get involved because of the chance to show off their brand logo on a teams shirt, tv will show the players obviously and the logos wil lbe recongnised as yes, that is Kmart or Target or whatever.

Good move imo

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I have never understood why the teams in Europe have a sponsors logo right on the front of their jersey or kit. I can see why from a money stand point, but from a looks stand point it doesn't make sense. You will never(well lets hope not) see the NFL allow sponsors to be on the front of a jersey that big.

Some of the teams with sponsors on their kits don't look half bad. But can anyone who knows tell me why and when this started with soccer kits? I have always wonder.

columbusdestroyersrf6.png

osuzd9.png

I have never understood why the teams in Europe have a sponsors logo right on the front of their jersey or kit. I can see why from a money stand point, but from a looks stand point it doesn't make sense. You will never(well lets hope not) see the NFL allow sponsors to be on the front of a jersey that big.

Some of the teams with sponsors on their kits don't look half bad. But can anyone who knows tell me why and when this started with soccer kits? I have always wonder.

They need to make money somehow. Remember, other than halftime, there are no time stoppages in soccer, so there's no time for commercials.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Money talks in the European player market. And any team that would compromise its ability to pay for good players to keep its shirt ad-free is on a path to eternal mediocrity.

Barcelona is, of course, the exception that proves the rule :)

That's true, I never thought about there not being commercials. I know that they have sponsors ads all around the field though. Do the leagues have tv contracts like the leagues over here do?

The English Premier League has a collective deal with pay-TV operator BSkyB, but some European leagues (Serie A is one, I think) allow the teams to sell their TV rights individually.

I have never understood why the teams in Europe have a sponsors logo right on the front of their jersey or kit. I can see why from a money stand point, but from a looks stand point it doesn't make sense.

I don't think it looks any worse than plastering the name of the team across the shirt....

I would love for the teams to have the same huge angled corporate logos that rugby teams have on the field. They are printed in a way so that as the camera spans the field the logo appears clear and legible. I think those are brilliant!!!

I hve no problem with it, as long as it is controlled, the reality is that sponsorship dollars keep teams alive and if its going to cost you a little ad on your guernsey in order to survive, i have no problem

Personally, I'd rather keep the team names on the front the way it is right now in MLS, but if switching the sponsor logo to the front contributes to the financial stability of the league, then I'm all for it.

Sierra Mist Revolution jerseys, here we come!

Archived