Uniform Trends (from the 50's)

MarkAtnip

Greetings all.

Once again, I spent too much time looking through old yearbooks and came across some "trends" in uniforms from the 50's. Just a few interesting pictures for you to comment on. Have fun!

How long until Nike or Reebok brings back this idea? Stripes up the BACK of the pants?

1952 Citadel

52Citadel.jpg

1950 Arizona

50Arizona.jpg

The Underarm side striping on these Oaklahoma A&M jerseys is interesting as well.

51OakAM.jpg

Here is a uniform with shoulder logos. Interesting from 1957 Utah Utes football.

57Utah.jpg

How about some odd stripes on the 1951 Purdue helmet?

51Purdue.jpg

BroncosSig.jpg

The guy in the purdue helmet looks like he has a michigan helmet on back-to-front, as for the citadel and arizona butt stripe pants, don't be giving anyone any ideas. Actually they don't look that bad, I would like to see a team at least try them out.

The citadel picture has seams that makes it look like it has a "center stripe" as well. (especially #42) I think it's just the fabric, but what about a team putting their helmet stripe pattern on the back of the pants? For instance, that citadel picture looks like they have a light version of theAuburn blue, white, orange "5 stripe" pattern back there. Interesting.

Peace out homies

Dave

Most teams back then didn't put a lot of thought or money into getting everything consistant and aesthetically pleasing. Most had mismatched stripes, etc., and I don't think it was a big deal. A few did pay attention, as seen by the Oklahoma A&M (Ok State) and others. It was cool when teams did hone their look and sometimes there are still clues to those past unis in today's.

As far as the leg stripes, I wonder if it was some sort of elastic material. Not so nuts about how it looks, though.

as the old saying goes, in reference to that Oklahoma State player...the more things change, the more they stay the same :D

and as was brought up...hey son, your Michigan helmet's on backwards :P

I recall thinking the Steelers and a couple other NFL teams had back stripes in the 40s, though I'd need to find a decent pic to be sure.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I recall thinking the Steelers and a couple other NFL teams had back stripes in the 40s, though I'd need to find a decent pic to be sure.

I've seen pictures of a number of NFL teams with back stripes in the 30s and 40s (but none are readily available).

Given how prevalent vertical sock stripes were at the World Cup this summer, I wouldn't rule anything out. We'll just have to see what the Oregon Nike Test Pilots wear next.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I've seen those Cactus Jack Curtice Utah unis before and they are pretty cool. I generally like the old school look, black shoes, gray, two-bar facemasks and Dungards.

Check out the striping on this LBSU player:

52_1.jpg

These Dartmouth unis are pretty cool:

Dart70.jpg

FsQiF2W.png

Stripes weren't the only design elements placed on the back of things, as shown in this "anti-Dartmouth" design: :wacko:

coltshsh2.jpg

coltshsh3.jpg

Almost forgot the old Redskins "feather" design. See this uni in the movie Everybody's All-American":

9.jpg

(Images are from the excellent helmethut.com)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived