No relocation, contraction or folding

Thinking about the Yanks threatening to move and the what if threads we had a while back. I pose this question:

IF the NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL did not allow relocation, contraction or folding, what does the 4 major leagues look like if teams granted a franchise the first time never left, contracted or folded? What does the sports landscape look like? Where would future expansion take place? This also plays upon the assumption that the AFL-NFL merges and the WHA is absorbed by the NHL. The POD can start at the founding of the NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

All the way from the begining? Well I'll do the NBA.

NBA Original Teams would be (1946-47)

New York Knickerbockers

Toronto Huskies

Boston Celtics

Chicago Stags

Cleveland Rebels

Detroit Falcons

Philadelphia Warriors

Pittsburgh Ironmen

Providence Steamrollers

Syracuse Nationals

St Louis Bombers

Washington Capitols

Expansion/Merger:

Fort Wayne Pistons

Baltimore Bullets

Chicago Packers

Chicago Bulls (Three Chicago teams!)

San Diego Rockets

Seattle SuperSonics

Milwaukee Bucks

Phoenix Suns

Buffalo Braves

Cleveland Cavs

Portland Trail Blazers

New Orleans Jazz

New Jersey Nets

Denver Nuggets

Indiana Pacers

San Antonio Spurs

Dallas Mavericks

Charlotte Hornets

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Toronto Raptors

Vancouver Grizzlies

Charlotte Bobcats

I doubt most cities would have two teams so....

35 so far in counting minus the two Chicago team, the one extra Toronto team, and the one extra Cleveland team would have made the league 31 teams.

If there were no contraction, folding, or relocation, we'd be seeing a lot more teams playing with a small market mentality just barely making ends meet. Can you imagine the Expos still scraping by even now?

VmWIn6B.png

If there were no contraction, folding, or relocation, we'd be seeing a lot more teams playing with a small market mentality just barely making ends meet. Can you imagine the Expos still scraping by even now?

How about the Duluth Eskimos or the Portsmouth Spartans?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I know it's not feasible from a geographic or financial standpoint, but am I the only one who thinks it would be really cool if MLB, AAA, and AA baseball merged and worked from a system of promotion/relegation (sort of like the Premier League)?

QPR%20Sig.png

Moser, you're a friggin' genius. I've tossed that around at work only to be laughed at. It would make for much more exciting baseball. How hard would the D-Rays be playing if they were in danger of being relegated to AAA?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Can you imagine what the NHL would look like? Well don't answer that. I know already.

Montreal Canadiens

Montreal Wanderers

Ottawa Senators

Toronto Arenas

Quebec Bulldogs

Boston Bruins

Pittsburgh Pirates

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Cougars

New York Rangers

California Seals

Los Angeles Kings

Minnesota North Stars

Philadelphia Flyers

St. Louis Blues

Buffalo Sabres

Vancouver Canucks

Atlanta Flames

New York Islanders

Kansas City Scouts

Washington Capitals

Edmonton Oilers

Hartford Whalers

Winnipeg Jets

San Jose Sharks

Tampa Bay Lightning

Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

Columbus Blue Jackets

Aftermath: The Battle of Quebec would be really intense(especially that one team is predominatly English!) and crowded. And yes, there would still be too many teams in the South.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I can only contribute one thing of the top of my head if no relocation, contraction, or folding occurred in the NFL...

Cleveland Browns = Super Bowl XXXV Champions.

I can only contribute one thing of the top of my head if no relocation, contraction, or folding occurred in the NFL...

Cleveland Browns = Super Bowl XXXV Champions.

Let's not forget --

Hartford Whalers -- 2006 Stanley Cup Champions

Baltimore Orioles -- 26 Time World Champions

:P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Can you imagine what the NHL would look like? Well don't answer that. I know already.

Why would you award a team to a city that already had one? I think it would be safe to assume, even in a theoretical discussion, that you wouldn't expand again into the same city. Clearly, the Wild wouldn't exist without relocation nor would the Thrashers.

Why would you award a team to a city that already had one? I think it would be safe to assume, even in a theoretical discussion, that you wouldn't expand again into the same city. Clearly, the Wild wouldn't exist without relocation nor would the Thrashers.

Well, you explain the NBA's fascination with Charlotte.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If this were the case Philadelphia would still have a baseball fanchise worth a damn.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Well, you explain the NBA's fascination with Charlotte.

Typo. Should have read has not had. Why would you put 2 more teams into a city that already has one.

Montreal Canadiens

Montreal Wanderers

Ottawa Senators

Toronto Arenas

Quebec Bulldogs

Boston Bruins

Pittsburgh Pirates

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Cougars

New York Rangers

California Seals

Los Angeles Kings

Minnesota North Stars

Philadelphia Flyers

St. Louis Blues

Buffalo Sabres

Vancouver Canucks

Atlanta Flames

New York Islanders

Kansas City Scouts

Washington Capitals

Edmonton Oilers

Hartford Whalers

Winnipeg Jets

San Jose Sharks

Tampa Bay Lightning

Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

Columbus Blue Jackets

Aftermath: The Battle of Quebec would be really intense(especially that one team is predominatly English!) and crowded. And yes, there would still be too many teams in the South.

i think by in large that is true up until the following:

San Jose Sharks

Tampa Bay Lightning

Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

Columbus Blue Jackets

with the sheer number of teams southern expansion probably gets halted. So probably no Florida, Tampa and Nashville teams.

the early 90s expansion probably yields franchises in Dallas, Colorado, Calgary, Columbus, and Anaheim.

with the seals, kings and new ducks franchise, the sharks probably get butterflied away.

i believe the New York Americans were an expansion team and given the WI of no relocation/folding, would the New York Islanders get a team?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Montreal Canadiens

Montreal Wanderers

Ottawa Senators

Toronto Arenas

Quebec Bulldogs

Boston Bruins

Pittsburgh Pirates

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Cougars

New York Rangers

California Seals

Los Angeles Kings

Minnesota North Stars

Philadelphia Flyers

St. Louis Blues

Buffalo Sabres

Vancouver Canucks

Atlanta Flames

New York Islanders

Kansas City Scouts

Washington Capitals

Edmonton Oilers

Hartford Whalers

Winnipeg Jets

San Jose Sharks

Tampa Bay Lightning

Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

Columbus Blue Jackets

So did you leave off the Maroons because the Wanderers would not have folded?

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived