Who's replacing James Brown on Fox?

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the person who mentioned Menafee (and I don't think I saw this posted elsewhere in the thread), it is Menafee who will host the halftime and post-game segments with Terry, Howie and Jimmy.

And a third person will handle the GameBreak highlights from Fox's L.A. studios.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

If I were Buck, I would have turned it down on the basis of overexposure. Remember Curt Gowdy, who died within the past year? At NBC, he did everything - all the baseball, the top team for the AFL/AFC games and NBC's Super Bowls, the NCAA Finals. Plus American Sportsman for ABC. I don't care who you have, somebody gets that much air time, you're going to get sick of him. I love pizza, but not at every meal.

And that's where Buck is headed. He's Fox's top baseball voice and top football voice, and now he's adding the pregame show. That's too much. Jim Nantz is also reaching that level at CBS with NFL/NCAA/golf coverage, but at least golf has a smaller audience and he's not carrying the entire telecast.

Now look at Dick Enberg. He actually cut back on his schedule at NBC, giving way to Scully/Costas on baseball (and Enberg is excellent on baseball), sticking with football and Wimbledon. And he's still great to listen to.

If Buck is still doing top-level network sports in 10 years, I'd be surprised. There's going to be audience burnout.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Joe Buck is the Albert Pujols of television sports announcers.

Actually, Albert Pujols is the Albert Pujols of television sports announcers and would have been a much, much better choice than Joe Buck or anyone else!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Does anyone hate Wes Durham?

I think he is one fo the best play-by-plays in the nation.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

You don't get as far in the business as he has by being inept, PERIOD.

Two words: Tim McCarver.

Amen. The single biggest truth on the planet. Tim McCarver is the absolute worst, closely follwoed by Jim Grey.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

NOOOO!!

Joe Buck is the most overrated vanilla sportscaster on primetime. I guess I'll start watching ESPN more.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I miss Sean McDonough. We were very fortunate to have him in the Boston area, even though he worked a full coast-to-coast schedule for whatever network needed him that weekend. Great play-by-play, intelligent commentary, but he knew when to keep quiet and let the play speak for itself.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I have sorta mixed feelings about Joe Buck, on one hand, I think he's most smug and arrogant broadcaster that's out there (which might fit the Fox image to begin with) and but in a crop of current broadcasters who are average at best, he's not that bad. I saw Joe and Terry Bradshaw on Best Damn last night (I was just flipping channels) and they're talking about how Joe would fit with the pregame show.

The odd thing about I how see Buck is that, even though his broadcasting roots are more into baseball than anything, I think he's a better football announcer. At least during the Fox baseball regular season broadcasts that I've seen, he seems really bored, and of course, baseball is a really long season.

Anyways, I've been watching CBS's NFL Today more and more in the last few years over Fox NFL Sunday. The NFL Today might be a borefest to some, but it's a better Xs and Os show than Fox's. Since Fox decided to get rid of Jillian Barberie (the weather chick from Fox's local L.A. morning show), the show would be a lot less annoying. Her act is normally toned down on NFL Sunday, but on Good Day L.A., she's a hell of a lot more annoying.

I'll check out both CBS and Fox, but I think my viewing focus would be towards CBS.

I for one did a faux mooning upon hearing the announcement.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Does anyone hate Wes Durham?

I think he is one fo the best play-by-plays in the nation.

I agree. I'll listen to him over any TV broadcasting crew for Falcons games. He and Dave Archer work well together.

I'll even listen to Wes call a Tech football game on radio, just as long as it doesn't interfere with any UGA gameday coverage....

Anyone like Bill Walton?  I hate when he calls Knicks games.  Otherwise, I think he's okay.

hes hooooooooooooooorible

I dislike Bill Walton SOOOOOOOOO MUCH, He's so arrogant, and the worst color analyst

You don't get as far in the business as he has by being inept, PERIOD.

Two words: Tim McCarver.

You might have gotten me there. Tim seems like a good guy and an alright announcer, but I don't really think he's got any business on national TV.

Now, while it still contradicts what I said earlier, Tim got where he is by being a former All-Star player.

Joe got introduced to the biz by being the son of a legend, and he probably could have hung around the biz by being the son of a legend, but he wouldn't be in the position he was in right now if he hadn't excelled at every previous step.

Former players always seem to get plugged in as color guys, and I'd say it's maybe 50/50 as for when they're actually any good.

Anyone like Bill Walton?  I hate when he calls Knicks games.  Otherwise, I think he's okay.

hes hooooooooooooooorible

I dislike Bill Walton SOOOOOOOOO MUCH, He's so arrogant, and the worst color analyst

You wanna go above and beyond the average Bill Walton announcing (awful)..

Listen to a game where is son is playing. Illinois/Arizona about 5 years ago. Worst announcing I've heard at the college/professional level.

The all-time best announcer I've ever heard has been Rick Jeanneret of the Buffalo Sabres. By far.

Although, I like him more when he's by himself. The few MSG games I've seen of his, he's been with some other guy. I don't think that works.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived