Logo I just designed... C&C please

Patsfan99

Not usually a poster, but I love the boards and respect the talent of the majority of the community here....

Just created the below logo for a local loungewear company... primarily mens sleepwear... was supposed to be an update, but turned into a redesign... I'm self-employed and thus kind of working in a vacuum, so I thought I'd post it here for some feedback, good and bad.... the customer's happy with it, so technically that's what matters, but I'm still new to the logo stuff and was just wondering if y'all had any thoughts...

thanks in advance....

hibernatelogo.jpg

First off, please post your logo designs in the Concept forum next time. Thank you.

No, he's in the right forum. This isn't designed as a sports logo or uniform concept.

-----

As for the logo, I like the bear's simplicity, although I'm not quite sure why, but I don't dig the font. I do like the idea of the bear hibernating on the letters.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

The bear doesn't appear as though he's hibernating so much as he was dropped with a .50 CAL causing him to fall at an awkward angle. Maybe his orientation should be adjusted to give more of a 'sleeping' appearance... it may not be realistic looking I admit, but it would convey the message.

As for the font and color scheme, they look fine, but one question: why a polar bear instead of, say, a grizzly or black bear? When I think "hibernate," polar bears don't readily come to mind.

nav-logo.png

I'm not a huge fan of that font, but it works OK here. If you come across something better, go for it, but this Century Gothic/Avant Garde still works.

As for the bear, I really like it. But the lines inside the bear, like those defining his head and legs, should be thicker. If you can start them off as thick as the navy blue outline when they're touching the outline, and then taper them as you move inwards, I think it will look a little more coherent.

Artistic license aside.... I don't think polar bears hibernate do they since they live in the arctic?

Maybe consider changing his color to better reflect a hibernating bear. Or not.

I think the font is OK but a little more stylized font would help when the need to go with a wordmark alone.

The idea is excellent, like, really good. I love the 'home' you made for the bear between the 'b' and 't.' It cradles him well. The bear is simple and nicely done, though I might add a little little bit of thickness to the lines that define his legs, back and ear. The one thing that really bothers me here is how close together the outlines on the text are in some places, particularly between the 'Hib' and the 'at.' Honestly, I don't think you need that outline. I would eliminate it and use navy blue for the text. Also, note that you cannot use the ® symbol until the logo has been registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. You may only use a TM or a © until then.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Polar bears do not hibernate in the true sense of the word. True hibernators experience a marked drop in heart rate and a body temperature that plunges to nearly 0° C. Polar bears do not enter a state of deep hibernation; instead they undergo "walking hibernation." Only pregnant female bears enter a den. They do so in the fall and give birth to their cubs in November or December.

I may be in the minority here, but I like the font.

I think the problem though is the dark blue outline. While your character spacing and outline thickness are both correct throughout the logo, combined they seem to create pockets of dark blue and pockets of white.

Consider manipluating the outline to give it a bit more balance.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I dig it. Looks very well done.

I like the font, and agree that the whole thing could probably be accomplished without the navy outline, or at the very least, with the navy outline separated from the text with a couple pixels of whitespace.

The kerning between the letters is of concern to me as well. Seems the spacing is irregular.

I think the detail of polar bears not hybernating is a big one. Maybe go with a brown bear? The brown and light blue would be a killer colorset.

Thanks for posting here. We are glad to have independant designers around, sharing their work.

Also feel free to follow the link in my signature for additional general design discussion.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

thanks for the comments all.... good stuff to think about.... didn't even really think about the whole polar bear thing, I must admit... guess it just felt right due to the color (thought brown or black would be too heavy) and the fact that the company makes sleepwear... for some reason to me "sleepwear" had the connotation of flannels on a cold night... not sure why... something to think about for the future, or maybe v2.0 of this logo...

oh, I just figured out the polar bear thing... the previous version of this logo had a white cartoon bear on it... guess that's why I didn't question it...

re: the bear being dead... I kind of see what you're saying, though I think it's tough to portray a sleeping bear that doesn't look dead without cartooning him up... unless you put some sort of smile on or something, I don't know how a dead bear looks different than a sleeping bear....

and I see what you mean about the outline... actually, the logo really pops best when on a navy background, then the outline is unnecessary... I'll mock it up, but I'm on the wrong computer right now...

oh, and I know the rules about the registered thing... guess I kind of fudged them cause the word is registered already.... that's kind of what I'm trying to say, that the company name is registered....

but thanks for all the feedback... good stuff.

I love it. To me "hibernate" and sleepwear obviously means comfort, and I thought that the bear was really comfortable, as opposed to dead. Also, the font does have some spacing issues, but despite that, it is a really easy font to read. Its comfortable to my eyes. Also comfortable is the color scheme. Any psychologist will say blue is the color to use for calm moods.

I didn't think about the polar bear hibernation thing; that might be an issue. Still, I don't know I would want to sacrifice the color scheme for the sake of a different bear. Now, back to the font. It would be nice if you could work around the kerning issues. Maybe a similar sanserif font would work better, or maybe you could customize the letters you already have...

LT

To convey sleep a bit more, how about having the bear resting his head on one of his arms as he "hibernates"? I don't think this would look cartoony, as animals do sometimes sleep like this in the wild. But honestly, I don't think the bear looked dead. Especially with the big word "Hibernate" right underneath it - no one will think the bear is anything but hibernating.

On the other side, a simple google search shows that polar bears indeed DO NOT hibernate. I don't know how scientifically accurate you need to be with your logo, but if your customer was informed of it, he or she might be annoyed in the end. How stuck are you on the color scheme? Try experimenting with coloring the bear to see how it would look. Maybe a regular old grizzly bear or black bear would look fine. Alternatively, how about making the bear light blue and the wordmark navy? That way the bear wouldn't necessarily look like a polar bear, but some sort of generic bear.

I also agree about the leg having a bit of a flipper look to it. Maybe add a bit more definition and shape to it to avoid that.

Archived