Football Night in America Logo

scraw28

Oh, HELL no! This looks like some silly "America Decides 2008" Election Night logo. The name is campy and forced. Besides, sunday night is not football night in America. Friday night is!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The name is campy and forced. Besides, sunday night is not football night in America. Friday night is!

Agreed. To this day, Football can only be truly felt in a high school game (especially in the South, although I've never been to one there). It's Football distilled into it's purest form, like a backyard game of Baseball or a inner-city Basketball game.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Looks like someone's trying to rip off "CBC's Hockey Night in Canada" and doing a bad job doing so. :hockeysmiley:

I agree the logo does look like a hood ornimate. Maybe it seeme cliche to ask for a football or helmet in the logo, but at least we could tell what it represents without reading everything. One of the points of having a logo is having a symbol that is instantly recognaizable without reading everything. Other than the NFL shield this logo doesn't look very football-like. Even the word "football" takes a backseat to "America".

It doesn't even say what day "football night" falls under. at least ABC's "Monday Night Football" said so. I can think of better names that "Football Night in America", "NBC presents GRIDIRON", "NFL Sunday Finale", "Sunday Night Showdown"

Considering that people have been watching football all weekend; Friday-high school, Saturday-college, Sunday-pro, alot of people are going to be pretty much footballed out come Sunday night. If the two teams playing really stink, it's a lopsided matchup, or a meaningless game I see them falling into the same pitfall had fallen into in recent years.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The name is campy and forced.  Besides, sunday night is not football night in America.  Friday night is!

Agreed. To this day, Football can only be truly felt in a high school game (especially in the South, although I've never been to one there). It's Football distilled into it's purest form, like a backyard game of Baseball or a inner-city Basketball game.

If inner-city basketball is "true basketball," I'll eat my hat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The name is campy and forced.  Besides, sunday night is not football night in America.  Friday night is!

If inner-city basketball is "true basketball," I'll eat my hat.

Well, what I meant was... a pick-up game of basketball, or maybe Indiana high school Basketball.

But we're getting off-topic..

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Was "NBC Sunday Night Football" just too confusing?

No, it's just (technically) a different program. SNF is the title for the game itself; FNIA is the title for the pregame/recap-of-the-earlier-games show before the game (i.e. NBC's version of NFL Prime Time).

Looks like someone's trying to rip off "CBC's Hockey Night in Canada" and doing a bad job doing so.  :hockeysmiley:

I agree the logo does look like a hood ornimate. [...] Other than the NFL shield this logo doesn't look very football-like. Even the word "football" takes a backseat to "America".

Couldn't agree more. Also, the banner that says "America" looks out of place against the metal, well, hood ornament. It's not as though they'll need to swap in different banners for use in other countries.

Update: The Wikipedia page for FNIA claims that the name was indeed intentionally lifted from HNIC (and also from NBC's own short-lived Baseball Night in America).

CCSLC signature.png

Considering that people have been watching football all weekend; Friday-high school, Saturday-college, Sunday-pro, alot of people are going to be pretty much footballed out come Sunday night. If the two teams playing really stink, it's a lopsided matchup, or a meaningless game I see them falling into the same pitfall had fallen into in recent years.

Not sure what you're driving at here.

There've been pro football games played on Sunday night (in America) for 15 years; they've just been on ESPN. People will be no more or less "footballed out" this season than in seasons past simply because the SUnday night game has switched networks.

Moreover, there's been pro football on Monday night for twice as long. How is putting the NFL Sunday night game on over-the-air networks going to change the situation that's existed for many years? If anything, NBC's been granted some scheduling flexibility for weeks 10-15 (they can choose the game of the week much later than in years past), so your worry about the matchup being lopsided are even more unfounded.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

i am still curious on what they are going to with the show during the non football season?

Bring back the AFL?

Show indoor or semi-pro football until the CFL starts, then show the CFL?

Really, if you think about it, you could (theoretically) show football every week on tv.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived