best sound nicknames, worst sounding nicknames

garygorilla

I like the Helena Handbaskets and the Austin Space...okay, I made those up.

Kind of like the Las Vegas Strips or the San Francisco Treats? Or perhaps the Miami Vice or Florida Everglades?

OK, this is bad and getting worse... :P

Actually the Miami Vice were an arena football team from 1987.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the Helena Handbaskets and the Austin Space...okay, I made those up.

Actually, Mike Butters, owner of the Helena Bighorns (AWHL, NAHL, and now NorPac), has previously pulled the leg of local journalists with the April Fools Day announcement of a name change to the Handbaskets...

I like the Topeka Boos, myself...

Marc

Down Under people were complaining about this name:

Essendonfc_logo_small.png

Because they're the Bombers.

Which I think is a great name, given the Airport was in the same suburb. (They've built a newer bigger one since)

And in the US, a kid from Milwaulkee got in trouble at the airport for having that logo with Bombers instead of Essendon, because in New York, they don't want people wearing "Bombers" onto planes.

It's a world gone mad.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Down Under people were complaining about this name:

Essendonfc_logo_small.png

Because they're the Bombers.

Which I think is a great name, given the Airport was in the same suburb. (They've built a newer bigger one since)

And in the US, a kid from Milwaulkee got in trouble at the airport for having that logo with Bombers instead of Essendon, because in New York, they don't want people wearing "Bombers" onto planes.

It's a world gone mad.

I think it is odd that Essendon uses a bomber that looks a lot like a B-1. A bomber that Australia doesn't have in its arsenal. Although I guess it could be a F-111 which they still use.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

just names of course, not logos or jerseys...

Best MLB: Toronto Blue Jays

Hon. mention: Minnesota Twins, Pittsburgh Pirates

Worst MLB: Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Dishonorable mention: LA Angels of Anaheim, Houston Astros

Best NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers

Hon. mention: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks

Worst NFL: Washington Redskins (yes, cause it's racist)

Dishonorable mention: Houston Texans, Detroit Lions

Best NBA: New York Knicks

Hon. mention: Detroit Pistons, Boston Celtics

Worst NBA: Orlando Magic

Dishonorable mention: Toronto Raptors, Washington Wizards

Best NHL: Toronto Maple Leafs

Hon. Mention: Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks

Worst NHL: Columbus Blue Jackets

Dishonorable mention: Calgary Flames, Atlanta Thrashers

Best NCAA: UNC Tar Heels

Hon. mention: Nebraska Cornhuskers, Michigan Wolverines, Texas Longhorns

(I know I'm overlooking some well named smaller schools, but these I have always liked)

Worst NCAA: St. John's Red Storm

Dishonorable mention: All those Tigers, Wildcats, Panthers, Bears, Eagles etc. who end up playing against each other, Stanford Cardinal

(I know I'm overlooking some well named smaller schools, but these I have always liked)

Dishonorable mention: All those Tigers, Wildcats, Panthers, Bears, Eagles etc. who end up playing against each other, Stanford Cardinal

Some of these don't make any sense.

The Houston Astros? Houston is the home to the Johnson Space Center, where NASA controls the International Space Station. So, yeah, terrible name.

The Houston Texans? They play in Texas...right?

The Calgary Flames were displaced from Atlanta, so that's the same story as the Utah Jazz - bad name, too lazy to change when they relocated.

The Atlanta Thrashers and Detroit Lions keep with the namesakes of most other sports teams in their areas. For Atlanta, you have the Falcons (bird) and Hawks (bird) to go along with the Thrashers (bird). For Detroit, the Tigers and Lions both played at Tiger Stadium for 36 years. The same story goes for the Chicago Bears and Cubs both playing at Wrigley Field for 49 years. The Redskins were once known as the Boston Braves, at the same time as baseball's Boston Braves (now in Atlanta). Racist? Maybe, but it certainly makes sense.

Even the Orlando Magic makes sense. They do play in Orlando, which is also home to Walt Disney World - home to plenty of "magic".

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Some of these don't make any sense.

The Houston Astros? Houston is the home to the Johnson Space Center, where NASA controls the International Space Station. So, yeah, terrible name.

The Houston Texans? They play in Texas...right?

The Calgary Flames were displaced from Atlanta, so that's the same story as the Utah Jazz - bad name, too lazy to change when they relocated.

The Atlanta Thrashers and Detroit Lions keep with the namesakes of most other sports teams in their areas. For Atlanta, you have the Falcons (bird) and Hawks (bird) to go along with the Thrashers (bird). For Detroit, the Tigers and Lions both played at Tiger Stadium for 36 years. The same story goes for the Chicago Bears and Cubs both playing at Wrigley Field for 49 years. The Redskins were once known as the Boston Braves, at the same time as baseball's Boston Braves (now in Atlanta). Racist? Maybe, but it certainly makes sense.

Even the Orlando Magic makes sense. They do play in Orlando, which is also home to Walt Disney World - home to plenty of "magic".

I agree that some of the team names are regional or historical, yet that doesn't make them good. Some team names can sound bad, be lame, be controversial, or just be easy to make fun of. A good team name should be one that makes a fan identify with a team and support it.

It helps for a team name to be relevant, but it doesn't save it if its just a weak nickname. I mean lets get serious... the Magic... I don't care how relevant it is, its just a bad team name.

True, I didn't think of the Lions, Tigers similarity, which makes it more relevant, but its still a pretty lame team name.

There's nothing lame (if not tamed) about a Tiger or a Lion, except their records most seasons.

I like when teams are named after ferocious animals. Tigers and Lions are now a little too overdone, but both of those franchises have been around for about a century.

I just remembered another horrible nickname.... The Kansas City Wiz. I went to one of their games a while back, before they decided to just call the team the Wizards, and the fans were chanting, "Let's go Wiz! Let's go Wiz!".... I thought the crowd was pleading for a bathroom break.

I agree that some of the team names are regional or historical, yet that doesn't make them good. Some team names can sound bad, be lame, be controversial, or just be easy to make fun of. A good team name should be one that makes a fan identify with a team and support it.

You mean like the Philadehplia Eagles?

I've been to Philadelphia...I have not seen ONE SINGULAR EAGLE. Other than the fact Philadelphia was at one time the national capital, what tie-in does that nickname have with the city? (I'm sure someone who knows might can come up with SOME kind of way to connect the two, but--still...)

And speaking of the city of brotherly love (and fantherly HATE if the team sucks), here's one for locality NO ONE has mentioned yet: the Philadelphia PHILLIES.

Can't get any more local than that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well, they're an endangered species.... What, should they change the name of the team to the Pigeons?

I hear there aren't as many buffalos roaming these days, so maybe University of Colorado should be called the Colorado Cattle.

National bird. An important city to the founding of the nation. Works.

You mean like the Philadehplia Eagles?

I've been to Philadelphia...I have not seen ONE SINGULAR EAGLE. Other than the fact Philadelphia was at one time the national capital, what tie-in does that nickname have with the city? (I'm sure someone who knows might can come up with SOME kind of way to connect the two, but--still...)

And speaking of the city of brotherly love (and fantherly HATE if the team sucks), here's one for locality NO ONE has mentioned yet: the Philadelphia PHILLIES.

Can't get any more local than that.

The Eagles were actually named in honor of The New Deal that FDR signed in 1933 (same year they were established). The symbol on it was an Eagle. That, plus the city being one of the earliest in the US, Eagles makes sense.

From Wikipedia:

Drawing inspiration from the insignia of the centerpiece of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal, the National Recovery Act, Bell and Wray named the new franchise the Philadelphia Eagles.

I think it is odd that Essendon uses a bomber that looks a lot like a B-1. A bomber that Australia doesn't have in its arsenal. Although I guess it could be a F-111 which they still use.

Everyone loves 'Varks!

f111.jpg

IMO, the Bombers' logo could be changed from a B-1B Lancer to an F-111 Aardvark with ease, as they have broadly similar frontal profiles.

F111.jpg

See?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

<<<Minor leagues are all full of weird nicknames. Just to run down a few of the ones that stick out the best in my mind: the LowGators of the NBDL (if they even still exists; wanna say they were based in Charleston--coudl be wrong); >>>

Allow me to give you a little history of some of Charleston's minor league team names. The NBDL LowGators were named because South Carolina is divided into three areas. The upstate,the midlands,and the lowcountry. Get it? Lowcoubtry,Lowgators? Yeah,we hated it here in Charleston too. We had a South Atlantic team here from 1985 to 1993 called the Charleston Rainbows. There's a section of old houses in downtown Charleston called Rainbow Row. The owner of the team owned a house there. When Charleston changes affiliation from the Royals to the Padres,the team owner thought the Charleston Padres sounded too silly. The Charleston Rainbows sounded so much better.Yeah,we hated it here in Charleston too. In 1997 the city of Charleston opened a beutiful new ball park call Reilly Park on the banks of the Ashley river. A couple of years ago USA Today ranked it the 7th best baseball stadium in the country. In honor of our new stadium built on the banks of the Ashley,the team was renamed the RiverDogs. At first it was hard to swallow but anything was better than Rainbows.

<<<Minor leagues are all full of weird nicknames. Just to run down a few of the ones that stick out the best in my mind: the LowGators of the NBDL (if they even still exists; wanna say they were based in Charleston--coudl be wrong); >>>

Allow me to give you a little history of some of Charleston's minor league team names. The NBDL LowGators were named because South Carolina is divided into three areas. The upstate,the midlands,and the lowcountry. Get it? Lowcoubtry,Lowgators? Yeah,we hated it here in Charleston too. We had a South Atlantic team here from 1985 to 1993 called the Charleston Rainbows. There's a section of old houses in downtown Charleston called Rainbow Row. The owner of the team owned a house there. When Charleston changes affiliation from the Royals to the Padres,the team owner thought the Charleston Padres sounded too silly. The Charleston Rainbows sounded so much better.Yeah,we hated it here in Charleston too. In 1997 the city of Charleston opened a beutiful new ball park call Reilly Park on the banks of the Ashley river. A couple of years ago USA Today ranked it the 7th best baseball stadium in the country. In honor of our new stadium built on the banks of the Ashley,the team was renamed the RiverDogs. At first it was hard to swallow but anything was better than Rainbows.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Macon Whoopee of the old CHL. My personal favorite is the Arkansas Monticello Boll Weevils.

I can't believe you didn't read the rest of this thread, where the Macon Whoopee was mentioned several times. Sorry, had to be a smart a$$ on that one. Anyways, as for someone listing earlier that the Columbus Blue Jackets are one of the worst names in the NHL, I've gotta' disagree on that one. As for the relevance of the nickname with the city, you can't get much more relevant. The union army in the Civil war had it's "blue jacket" uniforms manufactured in Columbus. While you can say that the particular name the Blue Jackets may not be the most exciting, it's certainly relevant in a historical aspect, and I'm sure the hockey fans of Columbus are plenty proud.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

Getting in touch with my feminine side here but New York Liberty is just outstanding. A 10!

The most identifiable female icon in the US if not the world (excluding Oprah of course) within eyesight of the Garden symbolizing freedom.

Perfect really.

Archived