best sound nicknames, worst sounding nicknames

garygorilla

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That said, yeah--some of the craziest nicknames can be found in minor league baseball and hockey.  SoundTigers, anyone?  How about (sorry Geoff Der Idiot) Ice Pilots?  (Or Ice Gators for that matter...although I DID like "Lizard Kings" and "Kingfish"...)

That's IceGators, son. It does have a unique sound to it that doesn't sound totally professional, but doesn't sound cheesy either. They always had nice uniforms, and a logo that stood well for the decade they were here in Lafayette. Never was too much a fan of them, but the name and ID were pretty classy.

...Yeah and they also did a nice job of beating up on the Ice Pilots during the Pilot's first couple years in Pensacola. But since I left I haven't been following the Pilots so I have no clue how they've been doing since '03 other than that failed black-and-red experiment and now going back to blue and gold with that goofy "P" logo they're using now.

Not a pro team, but here in the Eugene, Or. area we have a high school that goes by the Pleasant Hill Billies. It took me forever to put together the hill and billies

That happens to a lot of people. There used to be an AF2 team (maybe it's still there) called the Tennessee Valley Vipers. I used to think "Valley Vipers"--now there's a cool nickname in the vein of the MS Valley State Delta Devils (alma mater of Jerry Rice). Upon further review, I found out they're actually the "Vipers"--and they didn't even play in Tennessee. They played in Huntsville, AL--which, apparently, is in the Tennessee Valley.

Thank for screwing with me, Vipes. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm sorta kinda wit u on the "it" nicknames, if only for this reason: "former Indian (insert name) blase blah blah..." now compare that to this: "former HEAT...", or "former Lightning..." and then this: "former Red Sox"... (What would you call a former player of the Red/White Sox? Former sock?) :P

Yes. A player for Boston is a Red Sock, Chicago a White Sock. "Sox" being old newspaper headline shorthand for "Socks," which itself was short for "Stockings," I'd have to think that either Red Sock or Red Stocking would be the acceptable singular form.

Also, from perusing the Utah Jazz site a while ago, I learned that a player for Utah is a Jazzman. So now we're getting into irregular forms. Great.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm sorta kinda wit u on the "it" nicknames, if only for this reason:  "former Indian (insert name) blase blah blah..."  now compare that to this:  "former HEAT...", or "former Lightning..." and then this: "former Red Sox"... (What would you call a former player of the Red/White Sox?  Former sock?)  :P

Yes. A player for Boston is a Red Sock, Chicago a White Sock. "Sox" being old newspaper headline shorthand for "Socks," which itself was short for "Stockings," I'd have to think that either Red Sock or Red Stocking would be the acceptable singular form.

I would agree that a former player on those teams would be a Sock or Stocking. Though I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen a newspaper/magazine refer to one as such. Usually it is "former White Sox player," or "of the White Sox," or something similar. Not sure why it is so difficult for writers to use the term "Sock" or "Stocking."

Would've been topped or at least equaled had the folks who came up with "Washington Nationals" had any real imagination and called the team the "D.C. Nine."

Flashy mascot!

C-9_Nightingale.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I like the Helena Handbaskets and the Austin Space...okay, I made those up.

Kind of like the Las Vegas Strips or the San Francisco Treats? Or perhaps the Miami Vice or Florida Everglades?

OK, this is bad and getting worse... :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Kind of like the Las Vegas Strips or the San Francisco Treats? Or perhaps the Miami Vice or Florida Everglades?

...that's Florida EverBLADES...

...don't know if they're still down there or not, though.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well when the Fredrick Keys and Bowie Baysox had name the team contests I submitted Fredrick Flintstones (there are a few quarries in the area) and the Bowie Knives.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived