Early 90s Champion football jerseys and font

buster04

Champion moved their plant from Perry, NY to somewhere in NC when they were bought by Sara Lee (yes, you read it right). However, the NY plant was reopened when American Classic Outfitters (or ACO for short) was started several years back.

However, with ACO being given a share of the rights for Adidas's football uniforms, the Champion block has made a return with several teams. So far, all Adidas teams that have gotten a new set that I have seen so far (Houston, Fla. International, La.-Monroe) have the Champion on their jerseys instead of the standard athletic block. I don't know if this is a mistake or if these schools wanted the Champion block on their jerseys. All I know is that it has made a return to college football.

Yes, this means that Notre Dame can come out with throwback jerseys with the Champion block if they want to. However, their Adidas uniforms are made in Ripon, WI.

Not anymore. When the Reebok-Adidas merger happened, they moved all of the manufacturing rights to the uniforms for all sports to several other plants. In the case of football, the teams that previously had their unis made by Betlin now get them made by ACO. Ripon and (I think) Wilson still share the rights for the elite Adidas teams (ND, Tennessee, UCLA, Wisconsin, etc.) Sports Belle, if I heard right, is supposed to make Adidas uniforms for some sports.

They did this because Betlin's uniforms were not as good as other manufacturers (especially Russell). So, they moved the smaller Adidas teams, including Troy, to ACO. Adidas knows that they can trust the quality of ACO's uniforms since they make some of Reebok's NFL uniforms.

Wilson, outside of Nashville, TN is responsible for the Under Armour disasters.

That is honestly something that I didn't know. I always wondered who made the unis for Under Armour. I always thought that it was Ripon, but I thought that Maryland's number looked like they had Wilson block on them.

As a Michigan fan, I always hated those ND jerseys... because they looked damn good. They haven't looked nearly as cool since they moved away from those, but at least they've ditched the gold side panels.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

For the record, I do still and always have, hated those Champion numbers with a passion.

Me too. I never understood how a 7 could have a curved "leg" in a "block"-ish font.

I also firmly believe that "2"s should have three horizontal lines - not 2 horizontal and one oblique.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I always loved the Champion font, including the letters (not sure if the teams using it again have the same letters). I have always been a Bears fan because I live in Chicago, but growing up, my second favorite team was the Bills. Of course, the Bills used that font during the Superbowl (losing) era. It doesn't work for every team, but it looks good in moderation. To me, a unique but nice font like that is much better than the team making their own stylized crazy font.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived