Anibal Sanchez - 9/6/06

WJMorris3

Somewhere, a Boston Red Sox fan weeps.

This makes the Sanchez and Ramirez for Lowell and Beckett trade look that much worse for the BoSox.

Congrats to Anibal - he was a highly-touted prospect in the Sox organization before the Beckett trade, and I'm always glad to see former Sox farmhands like him (as well as David Eckstein, Freddy Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez) do well.

Now - looking back on the Beckett trade - I still think it was good for both teams. Btw, what in the name of relocation is in the Miami water? You guys sure know how to develop your young'ns. Even though I'm a Sox fan, I can't help but root for you guys to do well this year. B)

Just because a guy throws a no-hitter doesn't mean the Red Sox "lost" on the deal. A lot of no-names have thrown no-hitters (Sanchez, Bud Smith, Eric Milton, Jose Jimenez), yet sure-to-be Hall-of-Famers (Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Roger Clemens) haven't. Not too long ago, Kevin Millwood threw a no-hitter against San Francisco, and a lot of Braves fans were whining about the move. The result? Millwood got arm trouble (or just really sucked, one of the two), while Johnny Estrada was an All-Star.

Which pitcher would you take to pitch an important game: Anibal Sanchez, or Josh Beckett?

Just because a guy throws a no-hitter doesn't mean the Red Sox "lost" on the deal.  A lot of no-names have thrown no-hitters (Sanchez, Bud Smith, Eric Milton, Jose Jimenez), yet sure-to-be Hall-of-Famers (Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Roger Clemens) haven't.  Not too long ago, Kevin Millwood threw a no-hitter against San Francisco, and a lot of Braves fans were whining about the move.  The result?  Millwood got arm trouble (or just really sucked, one of the two), while Johnny Estrada was an All-Star.

Which pitcher would you take to pitch an important game: Anibal Sanchez, or Josh Beckett?

This isn't the only reason the Sox lost that deal. Here are a few more:

1. The Sox have had weak starting pitching and had trouble at SS all season. Sanchez and Ramirez could have filled those positions.

2. Five years from now, who would you rather have? Sanchez and Ramirez or Lowell and Beckett?

3. The hell with five years from now, how about next year?

Beckett always underachieved in a great pitchers park in the NL. So why should anybody expect him to do well in a hitters park in the AL?

But, to answer your question, I'd take Beckett.

Somewhere, a Boston Red Sox fan weeps.

I'm sure there's some Sox fan weeping somewhere. Just not on this board.

Gotta go with Anibal "Dirty" Sanchez! Okay, not really, but I was looking for any angle possible to break out the Dirty Sanchez anyway.

I'll take Josh Beckett. Twice. The numbers may show that Sanchez has pitched better this season, but the NL sucks, so the numbers could pretty much wash out. If Beckett never does another thing in the game his performance on "short" rest against the Yankoffs in 2003 was the stuff of legends. Beckett has proven his mettle on the highest stage and has 15 wins in what everyone calls a poor season.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The casual fans had a real excuse last night- it's rained here continously the last 2 days, some areas got 6-10 inches of rain.....

With the way the Marlins draw, half of Florida should be underwater by now.

It wasn't the rain's fault. It's because the team doesn't deserve the worst fanbase in all of MLB. A team was supposed to lose well over 100 games, instead is above .500 in the first week of September and a couple of games within the Wild Card leader, and they draw nothing.

I want Loria to move the team to a market where the fanbase will come out and support the team through thick and thin. South Florida could be the Yankees' home and they wouldn't get 20,000 people nightly. The south Florida market is a disgrace to baseball.

The Marlins have had 4 no-hitters in their 14 seasons in existance.

Meanwhile, the Mets have had....none since they begane play in 1962.

Baseball's a funny game.

what's even funnier is that mets pitches have had no hitters on other teams like Leiter, Nolan Ryan and I think Seaver. SOme others also but I can't remember them.

Dwight Gooden, btw (AJ Burnett was a Met farm hand) Jim Bibby too

Bret Saberhagen

David Cone

Hideo Nomo

Bill Wagner once closed out a Combined No Hitter

Octavio Dotel also pitched in that one

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Where is Bud Smith Now?>

Was part of the Scott Rolen trade. Phillies acquired Placido Polanco, Mike Timlin, and the aforementioned Bud from the Cardinals in return.

I don't believe Bud was ever heard from at the major league level again after that trade. Injuries and such.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Atta boy. Too bad there was no one there to see it.

not true i was there. it was awsome cuz even though there isnt a lot of people there u have the freedom of sitting anywhere u want cuz the crappy securtity and the people that happen to go to the games are the rudest most drunk people that have nothing better to do. Dolphins Stadium-where dreams come true except for the fact tha the pizza hut personal pizza is like $10!!!!!!!

lol

-sharplcd

Gotta go with Anibal "Dirty" Sanchez! Okay, not really, but I was looking for any angle possible to break out the Dirty Sanchez anyway.

I'll take Josh Beckett. Twice. The numbers may show that Sanchez has pitched better this season, but the NL sucks, so the numbers could pretty much wash out. If Beckett never does another thing in the game his performance on "short" rest against the Yankoffs in 2003 was the stuff of legends. Beckett has proven his mettle on the highest stage and has 15 wins in what everyone calls a poor season.

Don't forget that he pitched in relief on short rest in game 7 of the 2003 NLCS against the Cubs and shut them down for four innings.

I wish I could forget, however.

The Marlins have had 4 no-hitters in their 14 seasons in existance.

Meanwhile, the Mets have had....none since they begane play in 1962.

Baseball's a funny game.

Yes it is. Considering the four no hitters and two World Championships technically in their short existance the Marlins have been one of the most sucessful franchises in baseball recently. However they have the worst fan base. I'm sure Cubs fans, Brewers fans, Padres fans, Astros fans, Rockies fans, Tigers fans, etc. would love to have had the success the Marlins have had.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Atta boy. Too bad there was no one there to see it.

not true i was there. it was awsome cuz even though there isnt a lot of people there u have the freedom of sitting anywhere u want cuz the crappy securtity and the people that happen to go to the games are the rudest most drunk people that have nothing better to do. Dolphins Stadium-where dreams come true except for the fact tha the pizza hut personal pizza is like $10!!!!!!!

lol

-sharplcd

Yes the food is terrible. All the ice cream is melted. It's like they dont even put it in a freezer or something. The concessions are atrocious!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived