CitiField for new Mets Stadium

NoHoJoe

I heard today on WOR 710 NYC that the name for the new Mets Stadium will be called

CitiField. I say WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THE CORPORATED NAMES!!!!!

JACKIE ROBINSON FIELD YES!!!!

CITIFIELD NO!!!!!!

So For the Long Island Ducks we have Citi Bank Park amd for the New York Mets we have Citi Field. Thats going to be confusing

Signature intentionally left blank

Why not calling the ballpark with a popular name?

If the media says "The Mets are going to play at CitiField today", we must say "The Mets are going to play at Jackie today".

I usually call the AT&T Park as "the Giants ballpark". Screw the corporate names! ;)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I wasn't aware of any movement to call the new Mets park Jackie Robinson field. I'm certainly all for that......but Jackie Robinson didn't play for the Mets and the new stadium won't be in Brooklyn, right? Of course, Mayor LaGuardia didn't play for the Mets either, so that point is completely moot.

Is the new stadium publicly financed? If so, I think it should have the Robsinson name. If not, then what the team does with its toy is its business.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Jackie Robinson made history from the NL playing for a New York City team.

That's why the NL New York Mets should use his name to baptize its future ballpark.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Bah. I'm tired of the complaining about corporate names. It's sponsorship that gives a lot to the team.

Sponsorships need to be thought about by the team. They are best when they relate to the city and create a pleasant sounding name. Also, if a stadium has had a very traditional name, it'd be nice to see it incorporated.

But as a whole, I see no problem with corporate sponsorships if they're done right.

At this point, I'd honestly start to think a team was trying to create a faux sense of tradition and elitism almost if it didn't put a corporate sponsor on a new stadium (unless said stadium retained the name of the previous stadium).

It's a simple, easy, and not overbearing way for your team to have more money, and certainly in a case like the Mets, that team uses that money. Why complain?

I hate corporate sponsorships as much as anyone but should we really expect anything less from a stadium located in the economic epicenter of our country? If there are big bucks to be made from corporate sponsors its in New York. Yeah it sucks and I think its a bunch of crap but its par for the course. They should stick with the Shea name IMO.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

IMO, it would be stupid for them to call it Jackie Robinson Field. I know how important of a figure he was, and that he played in New York, but the bottom line is, he never played for the Mets. Why would you name your park after someone who has absolutely no ties to the organization? Now, if someone was paying the Mets to use that name, then that's a different story, but that is not the case. Jackie Robinson Field would be a nice gesture, but it would make no sense.

As far as corporate sponsors go, it doesn't really bother me. The name of the field will not affect whether I go to it or not, or how much I enjoy it. It's just a name. I like that the Mets are going to be getting $20 million a year just for putting Citigroup's name around the park. If they are smart, they will put some of that money towards their payroll. Given the choice, would I prefer a different name then CitiField? Yes. It is a little odd for a park's name to be one word. But overall, it really doesn't bother me. I am still going to go to the park and watch my Mets play.

IMO, it would be stupid for them to call it Jackie Robinson Field. I know how important of a figure he was, and that he played in New York, but the bottom line is, he never played for the Mets. Why would you name your park after someone who has absolutely no ties to the organization? Now, if someone was paying the Mets to use that name, then that's a different story, but that is not the case. Jackie Robinson Field would be a nice gesture, but it would make no sense.

As far as corporate sponsors go, it doesn't really bother me. The name of the field will not affect whether I go to it or not, or how much I enjoy it. It's just a name. I like that the Mets are going to be getting $20 million a year just for putting Citigroup's name around the park. If they are smart, they will put some of that money towards their payroll. Given the choice, would I prefer a different name then CitiField? Yes. It is a little odd for a park's name to be one word. But overall, it really doesn't bother me. I am still going to go to the park and watch my Mets play.

I also think that it would be a bad idea to name the new Mets ballpark Jackie Robinson Stadium basically for the same reason you give. 20 Million is a lot of money.

I think CitiField is the best case scenario for a stadium named with a sponsor. CitiField is much better than Citi Bank Field or some random website like Make Money.com Field.

Also CitiField sounds like City Field so I like it. To me when I hear the name I don't think of Citi Group but rather the City. I think of NYC and that the Mets play there.

When I heard the name for the first time I also thought of Ebbits (sp) Field and that it was in the middle of the city. The connection is that New Mets Ballpark is trying to mimic Ebbits. The Mets are also trying to build a nice little neighborhood around the ballpark to make it literally a city field.

Originally I thought that they should keep Shea as the name for the new ballpark but that would be sort of weird and New Shea doesn't sound great.

All in all I think that CitiField is one of the better cooperate names the Mets could get

The Mets didn't even retire 42 before the league made everybody do so, right?

The ceremony where number 42 was retired league wide was held at Shea Stadium so in a way they did it first.

Citifield is nice it fits with a team from NY called Mets short for Metropolitans.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This would be the first corporate-named stadium for a New York team, right?

Giants and Jets: Giants Stadium/The Meadowlands

Rangers, Islanders: MSG, Nassau Coliseum

Yankees, Mets: Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium

Knicks: MSG

We're not counting the Nets and Devils because nobody counts the Nets and Devils.

Archived