And in a shocking development...

infrared41

I don't think Schiano will leave Rutgers. There is basically no reason to. He has turned the program around to where it is ranked. Rutgers clearly wants him as their coach as they gave him an extension a few years ago after having just won 3 games in 2 years. He's from New Jersey. From what I have heard he would like to be a Joe Paterno type coach (he was an assistant under Joe Pa) where he turns around the program and stays in one place. In Miami he's just another coach. Let's also not forget Rutgers is located in between 2 of the largest media markets (especially when it comes to sports) New York and Philly. He can probably make more money at Rutgers. I just don't see any reason for him to leave. Outside of being an assistant there a few years ago he has no ties to Miami. He's been an assistant at a lot more places than just Miami.

Rutgers football has grown in the last few years. To give you an idea when I came to my home in Florida for Thanksgiving this year on the regional sports network Sun Sports was Inside Rutgers Football. In my 18 years of living in New Jersey up until 2 year ago I never once saw this show.

What is shocking in my opinion (I'm pretty sure you're sarcastic about Coker being fired), is that he'll coach the team in a bowl game if invited. If you're gonna fire him but have him coach a bowl game just in case, make the announcement after the bowls. Otherwise, just have one of the coordinators make the calls or something. That's my opinion.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I remember reading that one of the guys Miami is targetting to be the next Head Coach is Steve Spurrier.

i heard he declined it already.

What I heard is that he said he wasn't a candidate and said he wanted to be at SC and all that stuff, but said it all without officially ruling out Miami.

So, it's doubtful but could happen.

What is shocking in my opinion (I'm pretty sure you're sarcastic about Coker being fired), is that he'll coach the team in a bowl game if invited. If you're gonna fire him but have him coach a bowl game just in case, make the announcement after the bowls. Otherwise, just have one of the coordinators make the calls or something. That's my opinion.

That happens all the time in college sports.

I remember hearing rumors that the person who is the A.D. at Miami was trying to get Barry Alverez to return to coaching at Miami.

Barry would also bring two of his former assistants, former Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney and former K-State head coach Bill Snyder.

I doubt this is believable, but I will throw this out for you guys to chew on.

Coaching changes affects recruting severely. Announcing a coaching change in late December/early January kills the school in recruiting.

The longer Miami waits to hire a new coach, the less likely they'll get the top recruits.

Coaching changes affects recruting severely. Announcing a coaching change in late December/early January kills the school in recruiting.

The longer Miami waits to hire a new coach, the less likely they'll get the top recruits.

Larry handled his dismissal with more class and humility than any of the alumni athletes or fans that I personally know when it comes to Miami Hurricanes football. His being let go and still coaching the team is not a rare occurance...just look at North Carolina this season.

I'm certain he'll end up coaching in the next season or two somewhere. I think he'll be in a BCS conference, probably Big 12 or Big 10.

Seems like what lead to the inevitable was Coker letting his team get away with stomping on the Louisville logo before being embarrassed in the game. The brawl was the absolute final nail in the coffin, and although unrelated to Coker, I think that the murder of that player cast enough bad light on the university that the move absolutely had to be made.

VmWIn6B.png

I don't think Schiano will leave Rutgers. There is basically no reason to. He has turned the program around to where it is ranked. Rutgers clearly wants him as their coach as they gave him an extension a few years ago after having just won 3 games in 2 years. He's from New Jersey. From what I have heard he would like to be a Joe Paterno type coach (he was an assistant under Joe Pa) where he turns around the program and stays in one place. In Miami he's just another coach. Let's also not forget Rutgers is located in between 2 of the largest media markets (especially when it comes to sports) New York and Philly. He can probably make more money at Rutgers. I just don't see any reason for him to leave. Outside of being an assistant there a few years ago he has no ties to Miami. He's been an assistant at a lot more places than just Miami.

Rutgers football has grown in the last few years. To give you an idea when I came to my home in Florida for Thanksgiving this year on the regional sports network Sun Sports was Inside Rutgers Football. In my 18 years of living in New Jersey up until 2 year ago I never once saw this show.

Yeah, and all that, but it's still Rutgers. And it's still a hard sell no matter how you slice it.

Miami is a class above Rutgers, regardless of what happened this season.

I wouldn't be suprised if Miami made an effort to lure Mark Richt. He's an alum of Miami, an established winning coach, and highly religious.

I'd be shocked about this one - Georgia probably has a hefty, hefty buyout clause.

The big schools don't hurt financially, so the buyout wouldn't be a factor. And I believe the school luring the coach usually pays that buyout clause.

I'm sure Miami will want to talk with Richt, but according to Richt's radio call-in show last night, Richt's "not interested" in going to Miami.

Archived