Now HERE'S a good ugly uniform article

FlyersHockey1967

Let me rate these on my own 1-10 scale, with 10 being the greatest uniform ever and 1 being the worst:

Newcastle: 7. I don't follow the sport so I assume refs don't also wear jerseys like this. Given that, I think they are sharp.

Golden State: 8. I don't agree with the writer's premise that basketball identities have to be threatening. Basketball is fun, a show, like a circus or the Globetrotters. Also, I just like the simple style. It reminds me a bit of YMCA or gym class basics. I dig it.

Miami: 6. I like the color. The writer says orange is appealing, but then says in Miami's case it is repelling and gives no reason why.

Denver: 2. Too many colors just seems to break the rules to me.

Lightning: 1. I always had a problem with blocky, 3d lightning. The wordmarks are ugly too, even if they were legible.

Chisox: 1. It is hard to rate this because to me it doesn't even qualify as a uniform. Doesn't matter though, because no matter what you are doing, if you wear this outfit you will get yourself beat up.

Nashville: 4. Its alright I guess, but doesn't thrill me.

Padres: 4. It is different, but for what it is I don't mind it.

Vancouver: 1. How can something be so unique and striking, yet so generic at the same time?

Bucs: 2. I never like the color palette and logo here. Both were simply too pretty for my taste.

All in all, bad uniforms, but I couldn't say they were all the absolute ugliest.

LT

The current White Sox look is surely the best they've ever had, even if I do get that "marketing to thugs" feel from the black/silver change. But man, those were a rough 20 years: untucked collared shirts, navy blue pants, pinwheel hats, incomplete belly stripes, numbers on sansabelt pants, shorts, I think there was some powder blue w/white scripts/numbers in there. To be fair, the 70s and 80s were a sartorial nightmare for baseball. Everybody got hit hard there.

I'd still rate the Chicago White Sox shorts look as the ugliest ever in the history of sports. Even when they wore long pants, they were horrendous. Remember Wilbur Wood and his beer gut sticking WAY out while wearing the non-tucked-in jersey?

I agree with you, but at least Wilbur Wood (and Greg Luzinski) had figures that somehow complemented the awfulness of the uniforms. Even harder to imagine is someone like Roger, Manny, or Barry wearing one of those.

LT

The reason I hate lists like these is that either the writer or the editor feel that cheesy points that have nothing to do with the uniforms have to be made, like the crack about the Pads' camo uniforms. Stick to the task at hand, talk about the passion, consider the era in play (Nuggets uniforms were, after all, early 80s, the Rubik's cube era) and don't include alternate uniforms.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

There are so many really bad jerseys not in the article, it's hard to know where to start.

What about Rainbow Guts? Hull City soccer team's tiger stripes in 1992? The entirety of MLS in 1996 (except, of course, D.C. United)? The entire American League in 1972 (except for the Yanks and Tigers)? The 1980 Tuscon Toros? The Orlando Thunder? The entire WLAF in 1995? Swedish ice hockey? Aussie netball? The infamous Zimbabwe one-day cricket shirts of a few years ago? Wild Wing? The Broncos' vertically-striped socks?

Frankly, Newcastle's jerseys are some of the BEST. If you condemn Newcastle, you have to condemn Juventus and the Carleton Aussie Rules Football club!

Terrible list.

Newcastle United FC looks great. As do the old Nuggets uniforms, the Padres camos (bonus points for why they wear them, and the old Tampa Bay Buccaneers uniforms. I even like the Dolphins orange alt. The rest of the list is alright, but I can find better examples of horrible uniforms.

Two things...I was appalled by the decision to put the Toon in there (though the current gold numbers aren't great, a return to blue numbering, and newcastle brown ale as sponsors would be good...) and the Padres wear the camo Uni's to honour the military of the San Diego area (massive Naval Base, also Big Air Force Base nearby, uncertain of Army, but guess it's one of the ports/air bases they leave from)...a massive part of the local economy/visual presence in the city (saw PETCO last year on visit from the UK, and there were sailors everywhere)...Also if you check out the website they give away discounts to serving Military men.. check it out at :

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...ng/military.jsp

a better description than i can give...hope that answers the question sufficiently!

While the Pads should get props for honoring our men in uniform with the camo jerseys, they still belong on the list in my opinion. Not for the camos, but for those ugly road uniforms. I'm not sure what color that is supposed to be, but it ain't one that occurs naturally.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Khaki (another shout out to the military)?

Or "sand?"

More or less, I'm referring to their away jerseys. Although I don't call that color khaki or sand, more like urine yellow.

:blink:

LOL!!!

Dude you better either adjust your TV color settings or go to the doctor immediately!!!

Archived