1994 Chargers

Blue Falcon

I know the Bolts wore the blue throwbacks against the Chefs and the Raiders, and the white throwbacks on the road against the Seahawks and Raiders. I'm trying to find out exactly when the Bolts (or any other NFL team, for that matter) wore throwbacks in the '94 season.

Personally, I would love for the NFL to designate one weekend every season as a throwback weekend.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I'm a Charger fan, I tried to do this by memory, but I had to refer to the 1994 schedule/results to make sure and for dates:

Week 3, 9/18, at Seattle, throwback whites (win)

Week 4, 9/25, at LA Raiders, throwback whites (win)

Week 5, bye

Week 6, home vs. Kansas City, throwback blues (win)

Week 14, 12/5, MNF, home vs. LA Raiders, throwback blues (loss)

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/vernon/w...hedule1994.html

As to how many times, I don't know. The Packers wore theirs at least four times that I know of (three home blues, one road whites), so it was a pretty extensive promotion.

Make that five times - just updated my site to include the playoff game against Detroit in which they wore the blues.

As to how many times, I don't know. The Packers wore theirs at least four times that I know of (three home blues, one road whites), so it was a pretty extensive promotion.

Make that five times - just updated my site to include the playoff game against Detroit in which they wore the blues.

Huh? The game where we held Sanders to negative yardage? I don't think so.

It's where I sit.

I'm a Charger fan, I tried to do this by memory, but I had to refer to the 1994 schedule/results to make sure and for dates:

Week 5, bye

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, they wore the throwback blues in the Hall of Fame game that year as well (and their opponents, the Atlanta Falcons, wore their throwback whites). I believe that was the only pre-season Throwback game.

Huh? The game where we held Sanders to negative yardage? I don't think so.

Let's not bring up the ol' -1 game, thanks. :D

Oh no, let's please do. As a Bucs fan to hear that someone held that freak (and I say that in the most respect) to minus one yard is nice. I don't know how many times I'd see highlights with him have like 10 or so yards in the fourth quarter and then break off this rediculous run!

Pictures on pages 14 and 25 of my 1995 Yearbook confirm that the Packers wore their normal home uniforms. The picture on my Packer Wall of Reggie White from that game also stood out in my mind. If needed, I can post pictures.

sorry for the threadjacking -- but I have no information on the Chargers.

It's where I sit.

Great thread fellas... glad to jump in...

I am still fascinated by that season... and disappointed the NFL has not designated a throwback weekend as well!! I always thought that thanksgiving thursday and the sunday following would be a logical THROWBACK WEEKEND for every team.....

anyhow, I purchased the '94 season video for "my" football giants specifically to have an historic visual record of the giants in those classic unis... much to my delight they made the permanent move six seasons later in 2000 and "fixed" the mistakes of white cleats and non-throwback road unis for the 2005 season...

anyhow, the giant throwback story of 94 is compelling... dan reeves loved them... as did the team AND fans... after wearing them twice early (a win and loss) the team put them back on mid-season and kept winning with them... based in part on dan reeves' superstitions, the giants finished the season wearing the throwbacks for six consecutive games!! all wins!! the list is below...

9/18 vs. washington (blue) W 31-23

10/2 at New Orleans (white) L 27-22

then "the streak"...

11/21 at Houston-MNF (white) W 13-10

11/27 at Washington (blue) W 21-19

12/4 at Cleveland (white) W 16-13

12/11 vs. Cincy (blue) W 27-20

12/18 at Philly (white) W 16-13

12/24 vs. Dallas (blue) W 15-10

one last note about those unis... the giants in-accurately wore white cleats.... and white pants at home.. on the road the pants were shiny silver not the historically accurate penguin grey they wear now...

nybatt

"ny football giants unis... simplistic excellence"

Week 5, bye

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, they wore the throwback blues in the Hall of Fame game that year as well (and their opponents, the Atlanta Falcons, wore their throwback whites). I believe that was the only pre-season Throwback game.

I'm pretty sure that they wore white in the HOF game vs Atlanta.

Great thread fellas... glad to jump in...

I am still fascinated by that season... and disappointed the NFL has not designated a throwback weekend as well!! I always thought that thanksgiving thursday and the sunday following would be a logical THROWBACK WEEKEND for every team.....

anyhow, I purchased the '94 season video for "my" football giants specifically to have an historic visual record of the giants in those classic unis... much to my delight they made the permanent move six seasons later in 2000 and "fixed" the mistakes of white cleats and non-throwback road unis for the 2005 season...

anyhow, the giant throwback story of 94 is compelling... dan reeves loved them... as did the team AND fans... after wearing them twice early (a win and loss) the team put them back on mid-season and kept winning with them... based in part on dan reeves' superstitions, the giants finished the season wearing the throwbacks for six consecutive games!! all wins!! the list is below...

9/18 vs. washington (blue) W 31-23

10/2 at New Orleans (white) L 27-22

then "the streak"...

11/21 at Houston-MNF (white) W 13-10

11/27 at Washington (blue) W 21-19

12/4 at Cleveland (white) W 16-13

12/11 vs. Cincy (blue) W 27-20

12/18 at Philly (white) W 16-13

12/24 vs. Dallas (blue) W 15-10

one last note about those unis... the giants in-accurately wore white cleats.... and white pants at home.. on the road the pants were shiny silver not the historically accurate penguin grey they wear now...

nybatt

"ny football giants unis... simplistic excellence"

Can you tell me if the Saints wore their throwbacks in the game against the Giants? I seem to remember the Saints and Redskins wearing their throwbacks more than the 2 times required by the NFL that year.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Week 5, bye

I'm pretty sure that they wore white in the HOF game vs Atlanta.

Thanks; I couldn't remember and for some reason was picturing Jeff George in the Atlanta white throwback for that game. Either way, both the Chargers and Falcons did it right with complete home and road uniforms for that season. Even the 49ers wore their "regular" 1994-style helmets instead of plain red with their throwbacks that season.

I remember that the Broncos wore theirs only twice, in week 3 against the Raiders at home and in week 4 against the Bills on the road. I have never found even one photograph from that game against the Bills, in fact, now that I think about it, the only photo reference I've seen is the back of a 1994 Topps Stadium Club, later series, John Elway football card.

The only inaccuracy from their 1965 uniforms was they lack of blue in the stripe on the helmet.

Archived