New logo... C&C please

Patsfan99

here's a logo I just did for a friend.... he's big into home brewing beer, so he needed a label.... his last name is Orr, hence the name of the brewery, Iron Orr. some of the elements were at his request, like the crossed oars and the colors, but other than that, I had free reign.... I'm pretty pleased with it... feel like I'm actually producing work that looks legit... but it's always hard to tell with your own work....

anyways, I find I miss the old critiques from art class... sure, the customer may be happy, but they don't have the experience or the critical eye that you guys do...

so, have at it... interested to hear the feedback...

IronOrrlogov3.jpg

oh, and the "old school lager" scroll at the bottom is for the name of the beer and will change accordingly with each variation...

I agree about the color choice; blue is fine for Natty Light and Bud Ice, but not for a microbrew. Warm, earthy colors are more personal and handcrafted if you ask me. Also, I think one pun is enough. Either use the crossed oars to play the last name, or use the iron ore pun, not both. They don't connect. I know those things aren't your choice really, but maybe you should relay it to your buddy.

Okay, now for the stuff that you control. I'm not really a fan of some of the extravagance this logo has, but it could be worse. I think it's the fact that it doesn't have a 'shape' like most beer labels. It's not say, an oval or a badge or something. I especially don't like the simple, iconic banner behind 'brewery' and the old, distressed one behind the beer name. The clash of styles is really detracting from this. I also don't like the difference in the treatments of 'iron' and 'orr.' The script used for 'brewery' is a little tacky, and I don't think it needs to be larger than the banner. Adds a little unnecessary attention to the word, if you ask me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Seems like the paddle end of the oars should stick out more, it's kind of hard to tell that's what they are. I didn't know it until I read it. You should also ask him to choose between the "ore" and "oar" play on words--I would go with "ore". It lends itself to a cooler wordmark. I'm not sure about the wordmark you have. It doesn't say "iron" to me. It looks "old west"-ish to me. That may not be completely accurate but it's the best term I can come up with to describe it.

Orr in latin is gold (or just Or) so maybe use gold or old gold in it, or just as suggested before earty colours...

I think that "Aurum" is gold in latin, "oro" is gold in spanish.

(Now I begin to go off on a tangent)

Cue Auric Goldfinger. (Bad guy from James Bond)

Chemical symbol for gold is "Au"

Goldfinger's car's licence plate is "Au

All chemical symbols come from latin.

Au is an exception:

It stands for

A U! Get away from my gold!

(Say the above line out loud, It'll make sense)

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Orr in latin is gold (or just Or) so maybe use gold or old gold in it, or just as suggested before earty colours...

Actually its aurEum in Latin. Orr I believe is the Old French word for gold- I may be incorrect there, but I know that it's the term for gold used in heraldry. aurea is the nominative form of the Latin word.

OD_Signature.jpg

Judging by your board name and avatar, I'm gonna assume that you and the bar are both in the Boston area? Why not play off the "Orr" part of the Brewery name and use black & gold in logo to symbolize the local hockey club?

Couldn't that get them into trouble legally

Judging by your board name and avatar, I'm gonna assume that you and the bar are both in the Boston area? Why not play off the "Orr" part of the Brewery name and use black & gold in logo to symbolize the local hockey club?

don't know about the legal issues, but neither I nor the bar are in the Boston area... I hail from there originally, but live in VA now.... my friend's a Wisconsin-ite.... so no Bruins allegiance there....

interesting idea though...

For your consideration, I recolored your Iron Orr logo. I think the logo already works pretty well as is in terms of the logo's elements themselves. But I had to agree with some of the others that the blue and steel gray wasn't as attention grabbing as I thought it should be. I also thought that the "IO" crest at the top ought to have contrasting letters so they wouldn't bleed into one another.

I tried some "warm" colors to see how it might look. For the shield I tried red. At first I tried Scarlet Red, but thought that was too bright so I toned it down to a Cardinal Red tone. For the "IRON" and two lower banner elements I was trying a iron rust color. But again I altered it, this time because I thought it didn't contrast enough with the Cardinal Red. I ended up opting for an Autumn Gold. For the trim I went with a Hunter Green. It's still technically a "cool" color but not as cold as blues and grays.

It may work for you or it may not- ultimately this is your baby.

Recolored Iron Orr Logo

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The stroke inside the "O" in ORR is off. I think the stroke should only go around the shield and not the interior of the "O". It doesn't go around the interior of any of the other letters.

Or solidify the blue inside the "O" (and likewise, inside the lower portion of the last "R").

hrivvy is absolutely right....while it's a good enough logo, the only thing i can really see when i look at it is that awkward inside of the "O". you should completely fill that and the inside area of the last "R" with the blue stroke color.

hrivvy is absolutely right....while it's a good enough logo, the only thing i can really see when i look at it is that awkward inside of the "O". you should completely fill that and the inside area of the last "R" with the blue stroke color.

thanks for all the feedback guys.... you're right about the stroke.... it was a last minute addition and I hadn't caught that.... these are the reasons I posted it here....

I've suggested the color changes and the only using one meaning for Orr.... no response on either...

also, regarding one of the points above... I wasn't trying to make anything look iron-ish or evoke iron in any way... Iron Orr brewery for some reason sounded to me like something you'd find out in colorado or california, making a reference to mining days gone by or something... hence the western/nostalgic font... don't know if that makes sense, but that's what the name evoked for me...

still have work to do on this, but haven't been able to get to it... this month has been crazy with work.... but I intend to make some revisions based on the c&c, whether my buddy uses the modified logo or not...

thanks. :)

Archived