Web Design Software

TurnTwo

Hey guys,

I've been commissioned by my hometown to make a website for the town. This is going to be my first paying job and my real first experience at web design outside of messing around with my myspace layout. The town is paying for the software so cost is not an issue. So what I'm asking is: what is the best web design software on the market today?

Thanks guys!

PS The only program I've been told is off limits is Creative Suite "Premium". It's like $1,200. But any program beside the premium is fair game.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

I think the best to use is one that allows you to use layers, so you can easily turn them on/off to show multiple versions of the website.

Personally, I use Photoshop CS, and I do a lot of different configurations before choosing the final design. I started with Illustrator, but realized that images would be of a fixed size or repeated on the website (like background patterns), so I didn't need a vector program.

I think you can get Photoshop alone, and not part of CS, but if the city ever wanted to get serious with graphic jobs, they should look into any CS version. The Standard CS2 version has all you need, but if you have to code the website as well, then the Premium version should be the right one as it encloses Dreamweaver and GoLive.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Gordie is right. GoLive is garbage and produces garbage code. Hand coding is best... but since you are a beginner you need a WYSIWYG type program that generates the code for you until you get a grasp of PHP, HTML, Javascript and the like.

The most easily used and stable of this type of software I have found is Dreamweaver... you can get that through Adobe. You will need a copy of Photoshop for the best graphics to apply to the site, you can slice the layout in Photoshop... and a vector program is also a very good idea in that you can layout flat design elements in an environment that allows for ease of design creation... so either Freehand (which is very similar in UI to Dreamweaver) or Illustrator is a good idea as well. Trying to do all of your designing in Photoshop is detrimental to quality design because it isn't a "drawing" program really even though there are people that start there.

I have designed websites for 6 years and I have found these software packages the safest bet for a beginner. Those programs are gonna run you a bit of money but if you want to do it right you have to spend the money.

I will agree with gordie_d and redeye that GoLive isn't the best with coding, although it is a great start if you've never handcoded anything.

I personally do every bit of code myself, using Dreamweaver because I'm lazy (it has a built-in FTP). I've learned through time and tutorials, which you won't have any problems to find on the internet.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

If you're town isn't willing to shell out for quality software, it's an awful town. Tell your town that if they send me a check, I will walk to the bookstore and buy the CS2 Education version, which is roughly 40% the price of the retail version, and send it to you.

I just checked:

Adobe CS 2.3 (Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive, Dreamweaver, Acrobat 8, InDesign, et al) will be around $450.

Adobe Studio 8 (Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks. You could definitely make a quality website with this) will be around $330.

PM me if that interests you.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm certain that this will come off as disrespectful so just ignore that 'cause I don't mean it that way.

How the hell does a person who's never done web design outside of MySpace get a job putting together a site for a town?

I made a page for the school's Varsity Football team that was seen by many members of the town and they were all impressed with how it looked so they asked me if I would be interested in maintaining the town's page.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

I've been using NetObjects Fusion for a while and it's a great WYSIWYG program for a decent price and ease of use. Hand-coding is great to learn, but unless you have a long time to build this site correctly, I'd go with a WYSIWYG and learn the code behind it as you go.

Who designed the logo for your high school? I looked at your MySpace and at some of your friends profiles and saw it. Looks familiar. At any rate, I would seriously recommend them using the money to hire a professional do redesign the whole site- it is quite bad. Instead of paying for software, they could put money into the design and work- instead of both.

How much are they willing to pay you? And I want to disagree with above, it isn't necessary at all to have a strong knowledge of coding...not anymore anyways, there are too many WYSIWIG programs and other ways of making it all so easy and still come out with a great web site.

It helps to know a few things for formatting or troubleshooting when you run into problems, but extensive knowledge of coding to create a web site is totally unnecessary these days. Web designers are a dime a dozen, unfortunately for them- it isn't 1996 anymore. I don't mean to knock anyone who does it for a living because there are always advances, but I am talking about making a decent to great site. It isn't that hard.

• 6 months later...

Let's say you're making a simple web site. Main page, and three offshoot pages: portfolio, resume, about me. And you have the pages done (looking exactly as you want it on the site, except not clickable obviously) as PSDs. What's the simplest, quickest way to get those screens live and usable?

P.S. Sorry if my wording is off and/or confusing. I've obviously never designed a site before.

I'm certain that this will come off as disrespectful so just ignore that 'cause I don't mean it that way.

How the hell does a person who's never done web design outside of MySpace get a job putting together a site for a town?

How the hell does a guy from Michigan get a job putting together a site for an organization from North Carolina, run by a guy from Ohio? :P:D

nav-logo.png

As a web designer by profession I create my design concepets in Macromedia Fireworks due to its ability to use both bitmap and vector graphics however photoshop is just as useful for this stage.

When taking your concept and turning in into html I use Dreamweaver. If you aren't the worlds best coder if offers a very good 'design view' and the auto complete function in code view is by far the best on the market.

Heres hoping Adobe haven't ruined Macromedia good work in CS3.

prospects.png

vets.png

How the hell does a guy from Michigan get a job putting together a site for an organization from North Carolina, run by a guy from Ohio? :P:D

And that's not the weirdest I've done. This spring it was a guy from Michigan working on a site about a team in Florida for a guy from Texas who was working in Iraq at the time.

Archived