Quick NFL Question

Rambulance

No written rule, but (I believe) an unwritten one. Those names still have the ring of the minor league, and any sport so obsessed with its image wants to protect that image.

I know that there is such an unwritten rule in baseball - it came up when a group in the DC area wanted to make a play for an expansion franchise they would call the Virginia Fury.

Yet NFL Europe has teams like

Berlin Thunder

Frankfurt Fire

Rhein Galaxy

and in the past (WLAF):

Ohio Glory

Orlando Thunder

Sacramento Surge

Montreal Machine

Birmingham Fire

So you're validating baseballking99's point? :D

It's where I sit.

I know that there is such an unwritten rule in baseball - it came up when a group in the DC area wanted to make a play for an expansion franchise they would call the Virginia Fury.

I cannot verify this, but I have actually heard that there is a rule in MLB which explicitly prohibits team names (save the Red & White Sox) from ending in anything but "s" to avoid the "collective noun" phenomena that plagues so many leagues.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

A little off-topic, but as far as the NHL and NBA go, singular names are pretty solid.

Colorado Avalanche

Minnesota Wild

Tampa Bay Lightning

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Utah Jazz

The only bad one in either of those leagues is "Magic."

As it stands now, IMO, tacky singular names are still pretty much a minor league monopoly.

A little off-topic, but as far as the NHL and NBA go, singular names are pretty solid.

Colorado Avalanche

Minnesota Wild

Tampa Bay Lightning

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Utah Jazz

As it stands now, IMO, tacky singular names are still pretty much a minor league monopoly.

I can't disagree with you more. IMO Wild, Heat, Jazz, and Magic are terrible names (with Wild being the absolute worst.) Wild is either an adjective, or a location (out in the wild.) Either way for a player to say "I'm proud to be a Wild" just sounds ridiculous. I really think that Heat and Magic get accepted only because people are used to them, and (at least in the Heat's case) they have dope logos / uni's.

For some reason I'm OK with Avalanche, and to a lesser extent Lightning. Maybe because even though they don't end in s, they still represent multiple things? I'm hungover and my head hurts. Good day to you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Colorado Avalanche

Minnesota Wild

Tampa Bay Lightning

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Utah Jazz

I can't disagree with you more. IMO Wild, Heat, Jazz, and Magic are terrible names (with Wild being the absolute worst.) Wild is either an adjective, or a location (out in the wild.) Either way for a player to say "I'm proud to be a Wild" just sounds ridiculous. I really think that Heat and Magic get accepted only because people are used to them, and (at least in the Heat's case) they have dope logos / uni's.

Hear, hear, Andy. Collective nouns make terrible nicknames with very few exceptions (Green Wave, Fighting Irish). And those few exceptions are usually something tangible - either a race of people, or a physical/meteorological phenomenon (Avalanche, Lightning). And OMG, "Wild" is the worst. Do they mean to use it in the adjectival sense? Usually, when "wild" is used as a noun, it takes the definite article - but the only thing that sounds worse than "Minnesota Wild" would be "Minnesota THE Wild". This is what stems from people using XXXX-TREME!!!11!1!!one! as a noun in a similar fashion (when it ought not be used as such).

Just brutal. If a member of the Bobcats is a Bobcat, and a member of the Orioles is an Oriole, pray tell what is a single member of the Heat, Jazz or Magic? A Calorie? A Note? A Trick? These are the closest single unit names to symbolize a part of a larger whole, and they sound just asinine.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Colorado Avalanche

Minnesota Wild

Tampa Bay Lightning

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Utah Jazz

For some reason I'm OK with Avalanche, and to a lesser extent Lightning. Maybe because even though they don't end in s, they still represent multiple things? I'm hungover and my head hurts. Good day to you.

I think that's true. If a name doesn't end in a s but still represents multiple things its ok but if the name represents a singular object or a verb(wild) then its not ok.

yankees-1.png

Colorado Avalanche

Minnesota Wild

Tampa Bay Lightning

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Utah Jazz

I'll vouch for the Lightning, when we refer to an individually player on our team, we refer to them as a Bolt, it's kind of the unofficial nickname of the team.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived