What does "ESPN" stand for?

clyon81

Entertainment and Sports Production Network.

Isn't it actually Entertainment and Sports Programming Network?

Yeah. I was just going off the top of my head. Close enough for government work, ya know...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember for years I thought it was Exciting Sports Programming Network. That was genius to me, because they showed the friggin Scrabble Championships and commentated on it as if it was the GW FG of the Super Bowl.

That being said, there's a reason why there seems to be an EC Bias: The west coast gets done with their games and such when most of the people are sleep in east coast. That means that probably half the country and most of the mass media markets are basically done with their day and sleep by the time the west gets done themselves. So yeah, it's not like they're trying to...It's just that they can't help it.

Now, if everybody follows my (somewhat cuckoo) plan to put the whole U.S. on one single time, then I'll be happy.

That's way too much NFL coverage for March.....

seriously. I know it's a cash cow, but at LEAST let it die down until, oh, maybe a week or so before the draft. If you didn't notice, we have the middle of the Association's season, the fun part of the NHL season, and MLB spring training. I don't need NFL Live in the middle of the day (college student = mid-day TV is a between-class staple while eating lunch), I need NBA Fast Break or whatever they call it. Or NHL. Or...

okay, point made.

NO KIDDING. Football is really now a 12 month story. As soon as the Super Bowl is over, coaches get sacked, if not as soon as the regular season ends. Talk, talk, talk about who got fired which then fades to talking about who will be hired and then analyzing who did get hired.

That fades out just as...free agency begins. Who got cut? Who got signed?. The height of NHL playoff season is.. Draft Time! Who are the Lions going to take in the 10th round to fill their need at long snapper? Let's have a mock draft! Then there seems to be another round of player cuts based on draft results which leads to more free agent signings just in time for...Training Camp! Pre Season Games!

That's just the February to August NFL "schedule". They have somehow managed to have something going on at all times and the media will report every microbe and molecule of it.

Aside from ESPN, here in Minneapolis we've got a douche bag who is a former Viking who will literally break down the previously mentioned Lions draft needs the day of a NHL playoff game 7. It's maddening.

There was one memorable day in mid-June when we had the Twins season in full swing, the NHL AND NBA playoffs (if not finals!) happening all at the same time and we got three HOURS of Ben Rothlesberger's motorcycle crash.

It's overexposed and I'm really starting to resent it. :cursing:

As for the East Coast Bias, that's always been apparent to me. The one that gets me most is the Today Show. OHMYFREAKINGOD! Our The East Coast is PARALIZED because we got 6 inches of snow and it's a FRIGID 10 degrees. Al Roker, cry me a :censored:ing river as I sit here in Minneapolis when it's -10º and I've just gotten two FEET of snow to shovel out of my driveway so I can get to work, which is still open for business as usual. :cursing:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I don't mean to be lazy, but Id bet for most of us, watching SportsCenter was a useful tool in learning all about the rest of the nations sports teams and players because local news usually does not do so. But in the last couple years, for various reasons, I feel like I'm more detached from sports then ever before. As an adult, I realize more responsibility in life usually coincides with less importance being placed on such things, but I still feel that a large part of my lack of interest can be, at least in part, attributed to the lack of "national" coverage by ESPN. It seems that they have made it their MO, to turn football into things like "Payton vs. Eli", and a farewell to Tiki. Baseball for the past 5 years, has been "Yankees vs. red sox". I'm not trying to be "anti-new york", but I just feel that I am being less informed about the greater whole of the sports world more so now then ever before. Particularly in baseball.

Thursday, March 2nd Show

(Cavs @ Mavs) Good start to the show, this is indeed a nice match up.

(UCLA vs. Washington)

(Commercial)

(UNC @ Georgia Tech)

(Virginia Tech @ Virginia)

(NFL Player news)

(Commercial)

To this point, we have a good mix. A little west coast, a little midwest, and a little more east coast, but I'm fairly happy with it...

(NY Yankees Spring Training Segment)

(NY Yankees vs. Twins)

(Red Sox vs. Blue Jays)

(NY Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins)

(NY Islanders vs. STL Blues)

(Columbus vs. Nashville Arena Football)

(Commercial)

This is more of what I expect. We have 3 baseball games so far, and 3 of the 4 teams play in the AL East. Two hockey games, both involving the two NY teams.

(Tennis: Federer vs. Djokovic)

(Memphis vs. UTEP)

(Nevada vs. Utah State)

(Recap)

(NFL Rumors/Trades)

(Walls/Springs 15 second blurb)

(commercial)

Nevada, one of the interesting stories of college basketball, and the first time I see them on SC, they are getting upset. Followed by a small segment about Nevada vs. Memphis. I still haven't heard one team. Then there is a "recap". We have seen hardly a touch of the sports that happened on Wednesday, and its already necessary to recap the show? I've always found this segment to be kind of useless. I suppose its good if you have severe A.D.D. How thoughtful ;-)

(LA Clippers vs. SEA Sonics)

(unc ash vs. winthrop)

(STL Cardinals vs. NY Mets)

(SF Giants vs. CHI Cubs)

(Golf)

(Commercial)

(NFL Quick Hits)

(USC vs. Washington)

(Arizona vs. Cal)

(TAM Lightning vs. DC Capitals)

(ANA Ducks vs. LA Kings)

(Commercial)

(ESPN Deportes Update)

(LA Dodgers vs. ATL Braves)

(PHI Phillies vs. DET Tigers)

(Top 10)

(Commercial)

(End Show)

Notes:

Of 13 MLB Games played yesterday, 6 games shown consisting of 12 teams, 6 of 12 are from Eastern Divisions, or one per highlighted game. (Both NY Teams shown)

Out of 9 NHL Games played yesterday, 4 games shown (Both NY Teams Shown)

Out of 47 NCAAB Games played, 8 games, more spread out, but VERY Coastal.

I guess I have a little too much time on my hands as of late, but I'm most concerned about baseball. I was really looking forward to seeing a lot of highlights, even if its spring training. But it looks like its going to be another year about the Red Sox, Yankees, and if we don't get enough of that, then we have baseball tonight, with Peter Gammons, whom I don't think even takes time out from his Yankees/red sox daydreams to brush his wooden teeth.

How many more times do we have to listen to segments about the knicks? Yes, we know, they suck, but so do a lot of teams, the rest of the country isn't concerned. Give the good teams in all sports their do, and not just the ones you think matter.

If you think I'm just rambling, and that this kind of self-centeredness isn't hurting anything, I have one word for ya "RUTGERS"

Wait, there's NHL coverage on ESPN?! :blink:

I don't mean to be lazy, but Id bet for most of us, watching SportsCenter was a useful tool in learning all about the rest of the nations sports teams and players because local news usually does not do so. But in the last couple years, for various reasons, I feel like I'm more detached from sports then ever before. As an adult, I realize more responsibility in life usually coincides with less importance being placed on such things, but I still feel that a large part of my lack of interest can be, at least in part, attributed to the lack of "national" coverage by ESPN. It seems that they have made it their MO, to turn football into things like "Payton vs. Eli", and a farewell to Tiki. Baseball for the past 5 years, has been "Yankees vs. red sox". I'm not trying to be "anti-new york", but I just feel that I am being less informed about the greater whole of the sports world more so now then ever before. Particularly in baseball.

Thursday, March 2nd Show

(Cavs @ Mavs) Good start to the show, this is indeed a nice match up.

(UCLA vs. Washington)

(Commercial)

(UNC @ Georgia Tech)

(Virginia Tech @ Virginia)

(NFL Player news)

(Commercial)

To this point, we have a good mix. A little west coast, a little midwest, and a little more east coast, but I'm fairly happy with it...

(NY Yankees Spring Training Segment)

(NY Yankees vs. Twins)

(Red Sox vs. Blue Jays)

(NY Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins)

(NY Islanders vs. STL Blues)

(Columbus vs. Nashville Arena Football)

(Commercial)

This is more of what I expect. We have 3 baseball games so far, and 3 of the 4 teams play in the AL East. Two hockey games, both involving the two NY teams.

(Tennis: Federer vs. Djokovic)

(Memphis vs. UTEP)

(Nevada vs. Utah State)

(Recap)

(NFL Rumors/Trades)

(Walls/Springs 15 second blurb)

(commercial)

Nevada, one of the interesting stories of college basketball, and the first time I see them on SC, they are getting upset. Followed by a small segment about Nevada vs. Memphis. I still haven't heard one team. Then there is a "recap". We have seen hardly a touch of the sports that happened on Wednesday, and its already necessary to recap the show? I've always found this segment to be kind of useless. I suppose its good if you have severe A.D.D. How thoughtful ;-)

(LA Clippers vs. SEA Sonics)

(unc ash vs. winthrop)

(STL Cardinals vs. NY Mets)

(SF Giants vs. CHI Cubs)

(Golf)

(Commercial)

(NFL Quick Hits)

(USC vs. Washington)

(Arizona vs. Cal)

(TAM Lightning vs. DC Capitals)

(ANA Ducks vs. LA Kings)

(Commercial)

(ESPN Deportes Update)

(LA Dodgers vs. ATL Braves)

(PHI Phillies vs. DET Tigers)

(Top 10)

(Commercial)

(End Show)

Notes:

Of 13 MLB Games played yesterday, 6 games shown consisting of 12 teams, 6 of 12 are from Eastern Divisions, or one per highlighted game. (Both NY Teams shown)

Out of 9 NHL Games played yesterday, 4 games shown (Both NY Teams Shown)

Out of 47 NCAAB Games played, 8 games, more spread out, but VERY Coastal.

I guess I have a little too much time on my hands as of late, but I'm most concerned about baseball. I was really looking forward to seeing a lot of highlights, even if its spring training. But it looks like its going to be another year about the Red Sox, Yankees, and if we don't get enough of that, then we have baseball tonight, with Peter Gammons, whom I don't think even takes time out from his Yankees/red sox daydreams to brush his wooden teeth.

How many more times do we have to listen to segments about the knicks? Yes, we know, they suck, but so do a lot of teams, the rest of the country isn't concerned. Give the good teams in all sports their do, and not just the ones you think matter.

If you think I'm just rambling, and that this kind of self-centeredness isn't hurting anything, I have one word for ya "RUTGERS"

Wait, there's NHL coverage on ESPN?! :blink:

Yeah...it's weird though because they'll have it in weekly segments called "MARINES HOCKEY NIGHT w/ Barry Melrose."

I wouldn't even call it an east-coast bias. ESPN tends to bias towards which ever team is the best. I remember going to an Orioles game early last season (before they started to suck) in which they won 18-9. I use to like to watch the highlights of the game if I went to it. So I watched the next morning and it wasn't on. The game was even broadcast on ESPN and there wasn't even a mention of score. ESPN has just really gone downhill.

It's overexposed and I'm really starting to resent it. :cursing:

As for the East Coast Bias, that's always been apparent to me. The one that gets me most is the Today Show. OHMYFREAKINGOD! Our The East Coast is PARALIZED because we got 6 inches of snow and it's a FRIGID 10 degrees. Al Roker, cry me a :censored:ing river as I sit here in Minneapolis when it's -10º and I've just gotten two FEET of snow to shovel out of my driveway so I can get to work, which is still open for business as usual. :cursing:

yeah, bad journalism is fun too. or like the overexposure of the two times when groups of people have gotten lost on Mt. Hood here in Oregon. Seriously, it's winter, raining like a bitch in the valleys which means...SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS! and OHMYGAWD, the mountains...they're....they're dangerous, you know? people could *die* up there.

ohh, ooops, SPOKE TOO SOON. pffbt. give me a break.

--------

my favorite aspect of the East-Coast Bias: the SEC is called a "competitive" football conference because everybody is close in talent and on any given Saturday afternoon, upsets can happen.

The Pac-10? No dominant teams because on any given Saturday afternoon, upsets can happen.

EXPLAIN THAT ONE PLEASE. holy hell, I don't understand it.

harperdc.gif

my favorite aspect of the East-Coast Bias: the SEC is called a "competitive" football conference because everybody is close in talent and on any given Saturday afternoon, upsets can happen.

The Pac-10? No dominant teams because on any given Saturday afternoon, upsets can happen.

41-14. :D

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

41-14. :D

Uh...that other team came from the Big 10.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Uh...that other team came from the Big 10.

Duh.

The point was that the "survivor" of the "toughest conference in the country" smoked the, er, "Team of the Century" in the "National Championship Game." And yes, "for the record," "gratuitously" using quotes is "fun."

Anyways, just because the top teams in tour conference beat each other up doesn't make you the best conference. If that was the case, then the Sun Belt would be the best conference hands down!

Ok.

Tennessee - 35

Cal - 18

Supposedly Cal was going to come in and show those southern boys what's what. Even though I hate Rocky Top, I would've given Fulmer a high-five for that one.

The SEC isn't better than the Pac-10 because of that. The SEC is better because the talent is better. Watching 2 elite SEC teams is probably the highest level of football that isn't 2 top 10 opponents going at it. I really don't wanna hear the argument about how the Pac-10 normally beats the SEC in reg. season play, due to the fact that the teams that your Pac-10 reps did play, it was either the elite team (USC) against basically bottom-of the-barrel SEC teams (i.e. Mississippi State (:(), Ole Miss, Arkansas, Vandy, Alabama on probation, etc.) and they won just so they could say on the bowl resume "Hey, we beat an SEC team, give us the New Year's Bowl!". Then what happens when a team like Cal decides to get big and play an elite SEC team, they get shalopped. I don't believe in the East Coast Bias, but I certainly don't believe that the Pac-10 is better.

My dad works in Minneapolis, Monday - Thursday and he hates it when we complain about how cold it is.

Weren't you guys at -50(with wind chill) a few weeks ago?

ESPN has suffered ever since they decided that a bumch of guys yelling over each other was intelligent sports talk. They have gotten away from the sport and tried to make it more entertainment. It is all catch phrases, which I liked in the beginning. But what can you do??

minn.png

Ok.

Tennessee - 35

Cal - 18

Supposedly Cal was going to come in and show those southern boys what's what. Even though I hate Rocky Top, I would've given Fulmer a high-five for that one.

The SEC isn't better than the Pac-10 because of that. The SEC is better because the talent is better. Watching 2 elite SEC teams is probably the highest level of football that isn't 2 top 10 opponents going at it. I really don't wanna hear the argument about how the Pac-10 normally beats the SEC in reg. season play, due to the fact that the teams that your Pac-10 reps did play, it was either the elite team (USC) against basically bottom-of the-barrel SEC teams (i.e. Mississippi State (:(), Ole Miss, Arkansas, Vandy, Alabama on probation, etc.) and they won just so they could say on the bowl resume "Hey, we beat an SEC team, give us the New Year's Bowl!". Then what happens when a team like Cal decides to get big and play an elite SEC team, they get shalopped. I don't believe in the East Coast Bias, but I certainly don't believe that the Pac-10 is better.

And then Cal beat a Big-XII team into the ground in the bowl game, and they likely would've done the same with Tennessee. It's all a world of hypotheticals, but I bet that would have happened because the Bears got on fire at the end of last year.

Same sort of thing with Arkansas too. The team that played USC to open the season was not the same team that was pretty tough throughout the rest of the SEC schedule, was it? Same thing with Cal - they really improved.

I just hate to hear my conference bad-mouthed. yeah, SEC football (7-6? who needs points!) is COMPLETELY different from Pac-10 play (BOMBS AWAY!), but they're all really good. I'm glad I live on the west coast because I can roll out of bed, turn the SEC on at 10 in the morning, and use that to get me ready for some Pac-10 ball later in the afternoon. its awesome. Be envious ;)

harperdc.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Before anybody gets too cozy, I Hear there is soon going to be an "ESPNWest", which is supposedly going to have a "West Coast" bias.

Not that this will fix their problems....probably will still have the same reruns, just broadcast on 2 different networks now. And I'm relatively sure the shows like NFL Live will still only be live 1 time and broadcast tape dalay on the West coast....

<sarcasm> And coming in 2015....... ESPN Asia (to prevent American bias)</sarcasm> :rolleyes:

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

As long as people are complaining about ESPN, I'll tell you why I don't like them. Stuff like this used to be free:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/ru...6lid%3dtab1pos1

The beauty of the internet is that there are any number of places to get similar or superior content without paying. For instance, Pro Football Talk, Hoops Hype, or RealGM are free sites that, in my opinion, do a better job at rumormongering and news linking than ESPN Insider.

Which brings me to a funny story - in college, I had a subscription to ESPN the Mag for my senior year. After that, I left town and cancelled the card my subscription was on. I didn't bother to call and cancel my magazine subscription, since it only had about 3 months left anyway - I just figured it would run out.

Anyway, subscribers to ESPN the Mag get Insider access online. Somehow, ESPN never figured out that I was no longer a subscriber until about a month ago (I am now about 3 years out of college). So for the past few years, I had been getting free online access... no big deal, but it always feels nice sticking it to the man, so I passed around my name and password to friends and all that good stuff.

Bottom line is that the only people who pay for that kind of stuff are the suckers who can't take 5 minutes on Google to find something free that's better.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Before anybody gets too cozy, I Hear there is soon going to be an "ESPNWest", which is supposedly going to have a "West Coast" bias.

Not that this will fix their problems....probably will still have the same reruns, just broadcast on 2 different networks now. And I'm relatively sure the shows like NFL Live will still only be live 1 time and broadcast tape dalay on the West coast....

<sarcasm> And coming in 2015....... ESPN Asia (to prevent American bias)</sarcasm> :rolleyes:

Still no ESPN Midwest... :cursing:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived