New Orleans investors want MLS team

BRYWHIT

Were pro/rel to ever happen, and I'm not holding my breath, it'd have to be as one entity. It'd have to be something like MLS1 and MLS2 (or maybe even MLS2 East and MLS2 West).

But, it's pretty damned unlikely.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's another (and I think more important) reason why it'll never happen.

The SSS.

Soccer-specific stadia. MLS's great invention and greatest triumph. The very foundation of the league. Being built all over the country for MLS clubs, as a condition of gaining/keeping a team in town.

You try going to the mayor/governor/city council/state legislature/whoever coughed up tens of millions of public dollars to have a team in the top flight and tell them that the bright shiny new stadium might end up hosting a minor league team.

And then see if anyone builds another. Not to mention defending the breach-of-contract lawsuits that will invariably follow.

New England Rev beat Olimpia of Honduras 3-1 yesterday in front of 8,943 . Okay , if you take away the Honduran fans it would have been LOTS less , but a very encouraging crowd for the city...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

IF, and it's a MAJOR IF, New Orleans receives a Major League Soccer franchise, it should be called the

New Orleans Revelers, with the colors purple, green, and gold.

Why? Because!! Revelry during Mardi Gras!!!

Why purple, green, and gold? The official colors of Mardi Gras!!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

New England Rev beat Olimpia of Honduras 3-1 yesterday in front of 8,943 . Okay , if you take away the Honduran fans it would have been LOTS less , but a very encouraging crowd for the city...

Still below MLS averages, and the Hondurans probably won't have the financial wherewithal to buy season tickets...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So long as we're kicking around ideas...

The Missisippi RiverJacks -(a "riverjack" being a steamboat captain/pilot)

New Orleans Vampyres -(Anne Rice would be proud- you could even adapt the old Tampa Bay Mutiny logo)

Fleuve de Delta Bleus -(Delta River Blues in French)

Crescent City Dukes- (since New Orleans was named after Phillipe II- Duke of Orleans or just "Crescent City" for short)

Big Easy Moondogs (Just liked the way that sounded)

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I think there's another (and I think more important) reason why it'll never happen.

The SSS.

Soccer-specific stadia. MLS's great invention and greatest triumph. The very foundation of the league. Being built all over the country for MLS clubs, as a condition of gaining/keeping a team in town.

You try going to the mayor/governor/city council/state legislature/whoever coughed up tens of millions of public dollars to have a team in the top flight and tell them that the bright shiny new stadium might end up hosting a minor league team.

And then see if anyone builds another. Not to mention defending the breach-of-contract lawsuits that will invariably follow.

BINGO!

Promotion/relegation just isn't going to fly in Major League Soccer. It is a non-starter.

Archived