New Orleans investors want MLS team

BRYWHIT

I really wish the MLS would put an end to the "wanna-be" naming convention - FC, Real, etc. I was a big NASL fan but I wouldn't pay a dime to see something that's a euro wanna be. I was a die hard NY Cosmos fan (best kits ever) and some of the team identities were unique. In 1968 when there were two soccer leagues, someone figured that basing American teams on Euro teams didn't work (then again soccer didn't work back then either). Goodbye Cleveland Stokers and Chicago Spurs.

Here are some of the great and enduring team names I'll remember:

Rochester Lancers (always were a pain in the butt to the Cosmos)

Boston Minutemen

Oakland Clippers (early NASL)

Chicago Sting

Baltimore Bays (early NASL)

Philadelphia Atoms

Denver Dynamo

Los Angeles Aztecs

Seattle Sounders

Vancouver Whitecaps

Miami Toros

Dallas Tornado

St. Louis Stars (always beat us)

Enough already with FCs and Uniteds and all that other crap.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must respectfully disagree.

I too was a Cosmos fan, and I hate the minor-league team names that soccer in this country has been plagued with over the years. "FC Dallas" is an upgrade over "Dallas Burn" that I'll take any day of the week.

"United" is a professional soccer name. It tells the league that you're serious. That's why Man United chose it, that's why West Ham chose it, that's why DC chose it, and they were all right to do so.

Europe is where the game started. Europe is the top of the soccer world. What's wrong with striving for that?

St. Louis Stars (always beat us)

. . . except in the post season. :evil:

I too miss some of the great NASL identities and kits but I have to say that MLS is doing a pretty good job of branding and re-branding in most cases. I really don't have too big of an issue with the usurpation of some of the European club names, especially in those situations where there is actually some kind of affiliation or affinity between the MLS and the European clubs. And I agree with Gothamite's perspective on the "United" issue -- it should be viewed as an "all purpose" club name. I don't think anyone is going to confuse any MLS club with any of the top tier Euro clubs nor do I believe that the use of the Euro names Stateside is going to in any way dilute the strength of the original clubs' brands either overseas or in the USA.

I like the Philadelphia Atoms. Now that I think of it, I should've named my PLA team after the Atoms and not their replacements, the Fury. At least the Atoms won a championship. ^_^

With respect to the above poster, I must also disagree. I realize that when you deal with American sports fans, you deal with a completely different 180-degree fanbase. Soccer is not an American sport. Never has been, never will be. Most Aamerican sports fans can't deal with that. They turn to football and NASCAR and basketball, because they're all American sports (Yes, I know Dr. Naismith was Canadian, but he invented the sport in Massachusetts, so that counts, apparently), and they're all fitted for the American sports fan.

They tried to do that with Soccer, and it just looked silly. While some of the original names work -- NE Revolution, Kansas City Wizards, DC United, and later the San Jose Earthquakes... hell, I'll even through in MetroStars -- some of what they came up with was just silly. Miami Fusion? Tampa Bay Mutiny? Dallas Burn? WTF?

The best way to sell soccer is to sell it as is. Dallas FC. Toronto FC. DC United. Real Salt Lake. Yes, the last one sounds silly, but it's a soccer name. Get over it.

philly.png

Why must every MLS thread devolve into a Euro vs. American naming convention argument?

My take is, I love soccer( or football, as I like to call it), I watch MLS because it's local to the country I reside in. I follow the DC teams because that's the nearest major league city to me. I don't care that they're DC United or the Washington Krunk Presidentzzz, they're my local team. I do think DC United sounds great as a name, and it does sound more soccer-y, but it wouldn't bother me if the team wanted American style names.

Why must every MLS thread devolve into a Euro vs. American naming convention argument?

My take is, I love soccer( or football, as I like to call it), I watch MLS because it's local to the country I reside in. I follow the DC teams because that's the nearest major league city to me. I don't care that they're DC United or the Washington Krunk Presidentzzz, they're my local team. I do think DC United sounds great as a name, and it does sound more soccer-y, but it wouldn't bother me if the team wanted American style names.

I think that if they ever become the 'Washington Krunk Presidentzzz' I will THEN begin to care....

...maybe :D

"United" is a professional soccer name. It tells the league that you're serious. That's why Man United chose it, that's why West Ham chose it, that's why DC chose it, and they were all right to do so.

...and here I thought that they chose "United" because two clubs merged this whole time...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Brian in Boston has the right idea; name the team after a distinguishing feature of the city. I really thought Lonestar Houston would have been a great name for the Dynamo.

Be that as it may, there have been so many bizarre nicknames for N.O. teams (Voodoo, Night, Riverboat Gamblers), that the team is either going to have to go all the way or scale it back.

My suggestions:

Beignets FC

Desire FC

Fleur-de-lis FC

Paul Prudhomme FC

Ponchartrain FC

Jean Lafitte FC

Delta FC

Doubloons and Beads FC

... which leads to my personal favorite ...

Girls Gone Wild FC!

Brian in Boston has the right idea; name the team after a distinguishing feature of the city. I really thought Lonestar Houston would have been a great name for the Dynamo.

Be that as it may, there have been so many bizarre nicknames for N.O. teams (Voodoo, Night, Riverboat Gamblers), that the team is either going to have to go all the way or scale it back.

My suggestions:

Beignets FC

Desire FC

Fleur-de-lis FC

Paul Prudhomme FC

Ponchartrain FC

Jean Lafitte FC

Delta FC

Doubloons and Beads FC

... which leads to my personal favorite ...

Girls Gone Wild FC!

Show Us Your T*ts!! FC

A system of relegation just wouldn't work in the US. We are just too big of a country. A team such as the Rhinos or the Vancouver White Caps would have a hard time affording travel while paying players.

I really don't get this argument against relegation in the US. It's not like other leagues don't have teams that travel hundreds of miles to play in other cities. As a matter of fact, the opening game of the MLS this season is DC United at Colorado, and last I checked Washington and Denver are by no means close to each other. Heck, Kansas City was part of the Western Conference not too long ago, and it's not a very west oriented city (though I guess it could go either way). That being said, a lower league would be viewed as a "minor" league in America, and I really do think that USL should use promotion and relegation, I mean they already have two different leagues.

A name for a New Orleans team? I dunno, I really do like Crescent City United, and Gulf Coast United is cool too, but they'd be CC United and GC United which will definitely be confused with DC United. I just really want a Seattle franchise, but it looks like no one's really trying to get one...

And as far as soccer naming conventions are concerned, I like the American naming conventions. I'll admit, I'm new to soccer but I like teams with a mascot name. Or whatever you call it. I mean if there's a few United and City Name FC teams in the MLS that's alright, but if the majority of the league started doing that, it would start getting weird, not to mention would scare off most Americans. Sure, copying the Europeans gives off a sense of professionalism, as well as attract regular soccer fans, but doing it too much will detract the casual and non-fans, and then soccer will never be popular in America. I like some of the names in the J. League (Japan), my favorite being Sanfrecce Hiroshima, but I'll let you look up the meaning of that one on your own.

Quest2copy.pngnflseattlelr4.png

fifaunitedstateschampsnc4.pngTottenhamHotspur.png

A system of relegation just wouldn't work in the US. We are just too big of a country. A team such as the Rhinos or the Vancouver White Caps would have a hard time affording travel while paying players.

I really don't get this argument against relegation in the US. It's not like other leagues don't have teams that travel hundreds of miles to play in other cities. As a matter of fact, the opening game of the MLS this season is DC United at Colorado, and last I checked Washington and Denver are by no means close to each other. Heck, Kansas City was part of the Western Conference not too long ago, and it's not a very west oriented city (though I guess it could go either way). That being said, a lower league would be viewed as a "minor" league in America, and I really do think that USL should use promotion and relegation, I mean they already have two different leagues.

MLS stands for Major League Soccer as a general fyi. That means that they are expected to afford a "major league" travel budget, have "major league" franchise fees (and this is key), and general "major league" financials.

You will be unable to convince a guy who plunked down all this money on a "major league" soccer team that he's now going to have his team play in the lower minor league with much less in terms of the franchise fee department. That's why relegation is a nonstarter in this country.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Some ideas:

Traditional American Style

New Orleans Armstrongs

New Orleans Rivermen

New Orleans Pirates

New Orleans Gulf Sharks

New Orleans Bayous

New Orleans Blue Notes

"European" Style

FC Crescent

FC Creole

FC Quarter

FC Jazz (there is a team in Finland that uses this)

Club Athletique Louisiana

Crescent United

Pontchartrain FC

How about those...

Mets?

Packers?

Rangers?

Knicks?

Titans?

Owner of the New York Night Owls 1999 champions in the All World Football League.

The only clear option here, and it would work best, IMO, is to give the team the full name of...

NEW ORLEANS!

The hypothetical sports franchise in question would be unable to trademark the name New Orleans all by itself.

... which is why he added the exclamation point BAM!

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived