Which teams have suffered the most?

Shumway

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, to be a Philadelphian.

2 in the Top 5, a 3rd team just outside the Top 30.

I was 7 the last time a parade rumbled down Broad Street that WASN'T held on New Year's Day.

:cry:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Stupid list. If the Cubs are not #1, its a stupid list.

The biggest variable I take issue with is the idea that making it to the finals, and *not* winning, somehow means you've suffered more.

Right now Cubs fans would dream of an NL Pennant, sure they'd rather have a WS ring, but an NL Pennant wouldn't be considered heart-breaking it would be considered a triumph.

This is absolutely fantastic. But three thoughts?

1. Why are the Vikings ranked only 27th? They should be higher.

2. What would this list look like had it been done before the Red Sox and White Sox world championships?

3. I'm almost surprised the Yankees aren't on this list. That is, if you go by what Steinbrenner and the fans feel.

My question is how the Altanta Hawks got to be so low on the list...outside of Dominique Wilkins, Spud Webb, and Doc Rivers (and I only know THAT because of an article in USA Today that I read?uh...today), and oh yes, Deke Mutumbo, name one singular player on the Hawks right now. Or in the past 10 years. Last division chamiponship? Last playoff game?

Off top, anyone know?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I could roll off the whole starting line up. Me + Mom having season tickets and being a fan = Me subjected to hearing about how to fix the Hawks whenever I'm at the game or they're on TV.

But yeah, I doubt anybody outside of the A could name any of what you mentioned without google.

Agreed though, the Hawks should at least be top-15.

I could roll off the whole starting line up. Me + Mom having season tickets and being a fan = Me subjected to hearing about how to fix the Hawks whenever I'm at the game or they're on TV.

But yeah, I doubt anybody outside of the A could name any of what you mentioned without google.

Agreed though, the Hawks should at least be top-15.

First off, I don't live anywhere near Atlanta and I don't need google or anything else but my brain to name the following Hawks: Josh Smith, Salim Stoudamire (sp?), Speedy Claxton, Josh Childress, Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, Shelden Williams, Tyronn Lue & Zaza Pachulia (sp?). Keep in mind, I'm not a Hawks fan either.

Back on topic... My Nuggets & Mariners made the list, hooray! Man, I forgot how bad it was being a Nuggets fan in between when LaPhonso Ellis left to when Carmelo Anthony was drafted. It hurts just to think about it.

Mariners, yea, they shouldn't be THAT high though. Even though having the best record ever and not even making it to the World Seires is pretty sad.

Being a Lions fan comes close.

Or an Arizona Cardinals fan since, well, before most of us popped out our momma stomachs...

(all apologies to Mr. PANTONE...)

And while I'm on this topic, I know the team has enjoyed some success in more recent years (screw the "winning a championship" criterion)...but HOW in the royal HELL did my Tampa Bay Buccaneers not end up on this list???

(Yes I know I just answered my own question--they won the SB in '03--but, still...whose fans have suffered worse than the Buccaneers pre-'97?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Not as if this latest Booyah Network tripe had any aspirations of objectivity, but what exactly is a "soul-sucking moment" and what isn't, and who are some anonymous low-level dopes in a metro-Hartford office park to decide what is? The Cubs don't have enough of them? Get real.

I hate the Cubs with a passion but TCR is right. Nothing comes close to what Cubs fans have suffered through.

That's true... to a point.

What percentage of Cubs fans root only for the Cubs, and follow only baseball? What I am driving at, is that Chicago sports fans have been given a lifetime of parades in the past 25 years. The Bears' Super Bowl (and an appearance this year), and SIX Bulls titles soften the blow of not winning a World Series for a century. Yeah, there've been some heartaches, but it's tempered by the fact that the local teams have won the big one.

And what percentage of Cubs fans have suffered through all 99 years of futility? I haven't been alive for a third of that time, and I can still recall the NLCS from 1984 vividly. A lot of Cubs fans can't say the same.

Believe me, I can commiserate - the Phillies have 1 World Series in 124 seasons. And for those who haven't been keeping score, they'll lose their 10,000th game as a franchise this season. Yup... the losingest sports franchise in the world.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Believe me, I can commiserate - the Phillies have 1 World Series in 124 seasons. And for those who haven't been keeping score, they'll lose their 10,000th game as a franchise this season. Yup... the losingest sports franchise in the world.

Sniffle sniffle.

Name the last time a team from Cleveland won a Big 4 world championship... ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Sniffle sniffle.

You're right - another reason for Cubs fans to realize they don't have it quite so bad. They could be Clevelanders. At least the Red Sox finally winning a title has kept the Bostonians quiet, never mind the Pats' 3 Super Bowls and the Celtics' raftersful of banners...

2007nleastchamps.png

Sniffle sniffle.

Or Buffalo.....................

Until June :P

saBS.png

Sniffle sniffle.

You're right - another reason for Cubs fans to realize they don't have it quite so bad. They could be Clevelanders. At least the Red Sox finally winning a title has kept the Bostonians quiet, never mind the Pats' 3 Super Bowls and the Celtics' raftersful of banners...

I never really understood that myself...(the whole New Englander "oh our teams never win" tripe)

EDIT-Fred, 1964, Cleveland Browns (yes, I looked). Cleveland's also the last town to have a Big 4 team up and die in it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Speaking of which, let's look at which city has the longest championship drought among the Big 4. I think it's encyclopedic, but I reserve the right to be corrected... :D

City						Teams			Last Championship
Indianapolis, IN 2 2006
St. Louis, MO 3 2006
Miami, FL 4 2006
Raleigh, NC 1 2006
Pittsburgh, PA 3 2005
Boston, MA 4 2005
Chicago, IL 5 2005
San Antonio, TX 1 2005
Los Angeles/Anaheim, CA 8 2004
Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL 3 2004
Northern New Jersey* 2 2003
Detroit, MI 4 2002
Phoenix, AZ 4 2001
Memphis, TN 1 2001**
Denver, CO 4 2001
Baltimore, MD 2 2000
New York, NY 7 2000
Columbus, OH 1 2000**
Dallas, TX 4 1999
Nashville, TN 2 1997**
Green Bay, WI 1 1996
Atlanta, GA 4 1995
Charlotte, NC 2 1995**
Jacksonville, FL 1 1995**
Houston, TX 3 1995
San Francisco, CA 2 1994
Toronto, ON 2 1993
Montreal, QC 1 1993
Ottawa, ON 1 1992**
Washington, DC 4 1991
Minneapolis, MN 4 1991
San Jose, CA 1 1991**
Cincinnati, OH 2 1990
Edmonton, AB 1 1990
Oakland, CA 3 1989
Orlando, FL 1 1989**
Calgary, AB 1 1989
Kansas City, MO 2 1985
Sacramento, CA 1 1985**
San Diego, CA 3 1984
Philadelphia, PA 4 1983
Salt Lake City, UT 1 1979**
Seattle, WA 3 1979
Portland, OR 1 1977
Milwaukee, WI 2 1971
Vancouver, BC 1 1970**
New Orleans, LA 2 1967**
Buffalo, NY 2 1965
Cleveland, OH 3 1964

*Refers to the New Jersey Nets and New Jersey Devils
**Year first team in the city began playing

Stupid BBCode and lack of tabbing... <_<;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Speaking of which, let's look at which city has the longest championship drought among the Big 4. I think it's encyclopedic, but I reserve the right to be corrected... :D

City							   Teams		Last Championship
Indianapolis, IN 2 2006
St. Louis, MO 3 2006
Miami, FL 4 2006
Raleigh, NC 1 2006
Pittsburgh, PA 3 2005
Boston, MA 4 2005
Chicago, IL 5 2005
San Antonio, TX 1 2005
Los Angeles/Anaheim, CA 8 2004
Tampa/St. Petersberg, FL 3 2004
Northern New Jersey* 2 2003
Detroit, MI 4 2002
Phoenix, AZ 4 2001
Memphis, TN 1 2001**
Denver, CO 4 2001
Baltimore, MD 2 2000
New York, NY 7 2000
Columbus, OH 1 2000**
Dallas, TX 4 1999
Nashville, TN 2 1997**
Green Bay, WI 1 1996
Atlanta, GA 4 1995
Charlotte, NC 2 1995**
Jacksonville, FL 1 1995**
Houston, TX 3 1995
San Francisco, CA 2 1994
Toronto, ON 2 1993
Montreal, QC 1 1993
Ottawa, ON 1 1992**
Washington, DC 4 1991
Minneapolis, MN 4 1991
San Jose, CA 1 1991**
Cincinnati, OH 2 1990
Edmonton, AB 1 1990
Oakland, CA 3 1989
Orlando, FL 1 1989**
Calgary, AB 1 1989
Kansas City, MO 2 1985
Sacramento, CA 1 1985**
San Diego, CA 3 1984
Philadelphia, PA 4 1983
Salt Lake City, UT 1 1979**
Seattle, WA 3 1979
Portland, OR 1 1977
Milwaukee, WI 2 1971
Vancouver, BC 1 1970**
New Orleans, LA 2 1967**
Cleveland, OH 3 1964
Buffalo, NY 2 1960**

*Refers to the New Jersey Nets and New Jersey Devils
**Year first team in the city began playing

Stupid BBCode and lack of tabbing... <_<;)

The Bills did win the AFL in '64 & '65 if you count that.

saBS.png

Archived