Which teams have suffered the most?

Shumway

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good article thanks for sharing, its sad that the mavericks, the canucks, the seahawks and the mariners my favorite NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB teams are all on the list.

Really good at backing winners there champ... :P

(No titles EVER among the four).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good article thanks for sharing, its sad that the mavericks, the canucks, the seahawks and the mariners my favorite NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB teams are all on the list.

Maybe I'll become a Yankee, Celtics, Canadiens and Cowboy fan

my favorite baseball team and football team made it on the list. both making the top 25. BROWNS #2 and INDIANS #21. man that hurts. thank goodness i had the 02 BUCKEYES season, it wasnt for that year i wouldnt have seen one of my favorite teams win a championship until the Carolina Hurricanes won the cup last year.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

The Knicks shouldn't be there. Granted, they haven't won a title in decades, but they were extremely competitive for a very long time. The Knicks of the late 90's were the most entertaining team in the NBA post-Jordan and had some great playoff battles, winning a bunch of series.

The goal of a pro sport is a championship, but I'll take a competitive team like the Knicks over a one-and-done like the St. Louis Rams or Baltimore Ravens any day. And it's so different in basketball -- if you have the best player in the league you're more likely than not to win the championship. Unfortunately, Patrick Ewing was never better than Magic, Isaiah Thomas, Jordan, or Olajuwon. That's just how it goes.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Knicks shouldn't be there. Granted, they haven't won a title in decades, but they were extremely competitive for a very long time. The Knicks of the late 90's were the most entertaining team in the NBA post-Jordan and had some great playoff battles, winning a bunch of series.

The goal of a pro sport is a championship, but I'll take a competitive team like the Knicks over a one-and-done like the St. Louis Rams or Baltimore Ravens any day. And it's so different in basketball -- if you have the best player in the league you're more likely than not to win the championship. Unfortunately, Patrick Ewing was never better than Magic, Isaiah Thomas, Jordan, or Olajuwon. That's just how it goes.

That's why they are lower on the list. It is a ranking of teams that haven't won championships in at least 25 year 25 years.

But they're ahead of a lot of other teams that have had it worse -- the Pirates, the Cavs, the Falcons, the Vikings, etc. I'd much rather have rooted for the Knicks over the past 25 years than any of those teams.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Knicks of the late 90's were the most entertaining team in the NBA post-Jordan...

I can honestly say that is the first time I've EVER heard that phrase, and I would like to respectfully disagree.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Screw the "formula." The Browns should be ahead of The Bills. As a Browns fan I would gladly take 4 straight Super Bowl losses. At least The Bills got there to lose four times. The Browns have lost all four times they had a shot at reaching the Super Bowl. Two of those losses were as gut wrenching as it gets. Sorry Bills fans but you're not even close to the top of that list.

BB52Big.jpg

The goal of a pro sport is a championship, but I'll take a competitive team like the Knicks over a one-and-done like the St. Louis Rams or Baltimore Ravens any day.

I was with you until you hit this part of your post. While the Rams and Ravens have each claimed only one Super Bowl trophy, in the following years they have each had their fair share of competitive seasons. The Rams won their first six games following their SB win and made it back into the playoffs (albeit due to the collapse of the Lions) and then they followed that season up with another Super Bowl run. They've qualified for post-season play twice since their last Super Bowl appearance and were actually in the running for the division title once again this past year (although that's not saying much given the level of their intradivisional competition). The Ravens have also had their share of success following their Super Bowl title including this year's second best record in the AFC. These are both teams that are far from "one and done" and I think their fans by and large have a much rosier outlook than your garden variety Knicks fan these days (pun most certainly intended).

The Knicks of the late 90's were the most entertaining team in the NBA post-Jordan...

I can honestly say that is the first time I've EVER heard that phrase, and I would like to respectfully disagree.

How can you disagree. They made it to the finals twice and once as an eight seed. Tell me an eight seed making the finals isn't exciting. They were very good and only get a bad rap because A. they're in New York where nothing is ever good enough and B. the recent failures tarnish a good thing they had going. They haven't been as bad for as long as people think.

Good to see my Bengals at number 13, although I think they should be higher. Their are teams above them who have gone to the playoffs and made more finals appearances. Playoff appearances should detract from painfulness. These are the Bengals records since their 1990 playoff appearance.

91 3-13

92 5-11

93 3-13

94 3-13

95 7-9

96 8-8

97 7-9

98 3-13

99 4-12

00 4-12

01 6-10

02 2-14

Marvin Lewis Era

03 8-8

04 8-8

05 11-5*

06 8-8

1 winning season in my conscious memory. I think it's harder to give up all hope for your team one month into the season year after year than it is to see them lose in the first round year after year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Maybe I'll become a Yankee, Celtics, Canadiens and Cowboy fan

Mmmhhh... I use to root for the Celtics and the Canadiens. But I'm a Yankee hater and a Cowboy hater, I'm a fan of the Red Sox and the Dolphins.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

The goal of a pro sport is a championship, but I'll take a competitive team like the Knicks over a one-and-done like the St. Louis Rams or Baltimore Ravens any day.

I was with you until you hit this part of your post. While the Rams and Ravens have each claimed only one Super Bowl trophy, in the following years they have each had their fair share of competitive seasons. The Rams won their first six games following their SB win and made it back into the playoffs (albeit due to the collapse of the Lions) and then they followed that season up with another Super Bowl run. They've qualified for post-season play twice since their last Super Bowl appearance and were actually in the running for the division title once again this past year (although that's not saying much given the level of their intradivisional competition). The Ravens have also had their share of success following their Super Bowl title including this year's second best record in the AFC. These are both teams that are far from "one and done" and I think their fans by and large have a much rosier outlook than your garden variety Knicks fan these days (pun most certainly intended).

On second thought, you're right. Both of those teams either make the playoffs each year or come close to making the playoffs each year. Maybe the Buccaneers would have been a better example but they've also managed to be in the hunt or close to it most years.

How can you disagree. They made it to the finals twice and once as an eight seed. Tell me an eight seed making the finals isn't exciting. They were very good and only get a bad rap because A. they're in New York where nothing is ever good enough and B. the recent failures tarnish a good thing they had going. They haven't been as bad for as long as people think.

Their success on court was entertaining yes, but those Knicks also had personality -- Charlie Ward, Patrick Ewing, Larry Johnson, Marcus Camby, Latrell Sprewell, Chris Dudley, Jeff Van Gundy... It was a great group of characters.

Failed contrarian attempt. Twenty-two teams have not suffered more than the Chicago Cubs. Yes, the Bills booting an olympiad of Super Bowls is a unique failure, the Bengals suck, the Browns suck more in two iterations, and the Knicks are a mess, this I can't deny, but the failure of the Cubs, like the previous failure of the Red Sox, and like everything about being a fan of the Cubs, transcends sports. Nothing comes close. How are Nets fans more miserable than Cubs fans? That crappy bunch of swamp-dwellers falls ass-backwards into some degree of unwarranted postseason success every year. Stupid list.

Archived