NHL gives CBC the finger

CC97

Apparently CBC asked if the Penguins/Senators game could be played for their prime time Saturday telecast and the NHL refused.

Naturally the afternoon start is to accommodate NBC.

So a big hooray to the NHL for kicking their loyal fanbase in the nuts once again in a feeble attempt to score an extra eyeball for a second or two

Article

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

It seems like you're implying that Americans don't care about hockey....

I didn't (mean to) imply that at all...

But how often has the NHL altered their schedule to accomidate CBC over NBC/ABC/ESPN/Versus/OLN/FOX? CBC has been showing NHL Hockey Saturday nights at 7pm for over 50 years and have just re-newed for $500 million, you'd think they'd get a nod now and then over a network who originally was broadcasting games for free...

Whatever NHL.

---

Chris Creamer

But how often has the NHL altered their schedule to accomidate CBC over NBC/ABC/ESPN/Versus/OLN/FOX? CBC has been showing NHL Hockey Saturday nights at 7pm for over 50 years and have just re-newed for $500 million, you'd think they'd get a nod now and then over a network who originally was broadcasting games for free...

Whatever NHL.

Fred T. Jane: I'll take "Fans Left out in the Cold" for $600, Alex.

Alex Trebek: "This Canadian NHL team has not been on a regular season US national broadcast since Mario Lemieux's second game in his 2000 comeback."

Fred T. Jane: *mashes his clicker furiously*

Alex Trebek: Fred?

Fred T. Jane: What is the Ottawa Senators!

Alex Trebek: Correct.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Whatever NHL.

Fred T. Jane: I'll take "Fans Left out in the Cold" for $600, Alex.

Alex Trebek: "This Canadian NHL team has not been on a regular season US national broadcast since Mario Lemieux's second game in his 2000 comeback."

Fred T. Jane: *mashes his clicker furiously*

Alex Trebek: Fred?

Fred T. Jane: What is the Ottawa Senators!

Alex Trebek: Correct.

Sean Connery: You know how the Senators logo looks like a Trojan, Alex? Well I used a Trojan and made out with your mother... *BWHAHAHA!*

I saw, I came, I left.

The Senators have been on Versus before, but I don't think that matters

It's not a national broadcast if the potential viewers can't find the channel on their cable guide.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Why would CBC show an NBC game? I thought Canada got NBC?

So there's no other games that night that CBC could show?

CBC is still broadcasting the Pens/Sens game, with their own broadcast team, and is also carrying games 2-7 of the Devils/Lightning series, but the point that pisses of the Canadians is that the game that involves the Canadian team, in Canada, can't be aired in primetime on a Saturday night, which always draws huge ratings in Canada, while the game involving the two American teams can't air in the afternoon, still on NBC and CBC.

But then again, it may something to do with an Il Divo concert being held Friday night at Scotiabank Place and the fact that they play again Sunday, so they don't want to cram them within the exact 24 hour frame.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Outside of High School and College hockey i could care less about NHL hockey. The ratings back up my thoughts. Even though my pro team the Wild are in it. It really means little in the grand scheme of things.

:Oo:

And, it's "couldn't care less."

Outside of High School and College hockey i could care less about NHL hockey. The ratings back up my thoughts. Even though my pro team the Wild are in it. It really means little in the grand scheme of things.

The ratings backup the fact that you could(n't) care less about NHL hockey? If you tuned in, would they be different? :wacko:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The ratings backup the fact that you could(n't) care less about NHL hockey? If you tuned in, would they be different? :wacko:

No, no, BBTV. If more people watched, then he would, too.

Or, if high school or college hockey weren't part of the NHL, then he would care more.

Or, if....

^_^

CBC is fine, they make bank on their broadcasts (the only CBC produced show that does make bank), and HNiC essentially helps fund a monolithic and rather wasteful broadcast network, so the CBC should kiss the NHL's rear end and thank them. If it weren't for the NHL, that GST would need to rise an additional 1% to pay for the CBC's wasteful practices. :)

I love Hockey Night in Canada, and I respect its traditions, but believe me, the CBC has been well-fed by the NHL, and it can handle the fact that it got bumped because the other network is trying to captivate a nation, that is sorely needed if the NHL is to thrive and grow.

Right now, NHL hockey is beaten in the ratings by bowling and poker, so if the league has a shot at placing its best game in the driver's seat of its only truly national US network, it needs to do so.

I hope its a great game.

CBC is fine, they make bank on their broadcasts (the only CBC produced show that does make bank), and HNiC essentially helps fund a monolithic and rather wasteful broadcast network, so the CBC should kiss the NHL's rear end and thank them. If it weren't for the NHL, that GST would need to rise an additional 1% to pay for the CBC's wasteful practices. :)

I love Hockey Night in Canada, and I respect its traditions, but believe me, the CBC has been well-fed by the NHL, and it can handle the fact that it got bumped because the other network is trying to captivate a nation, that is sorely needed if the NHL is to thrive and grow.

Right now, NHL hockey is beaten in the ratings by bowling and poker, so if the league has a shot at placing its best game in the driver's seat of its only truly national US network, it needs to do so.

I hope its a great game.

By Bowling? How?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

But why? Why is catering to 1.1 million U.S. viewers, on a network that pays far less to the league, more important than 2.5 million Canadian viewers?

---

Chris Creamer

But why? Why is catering to 1.1 million U.S. viewers, on a network that pays far less to the league, more important than 2.5 million Canadian viewers?

Because the canadian viewers are not going anywhere. and the NHL knows this. The people in Canada who watch hockey are not going to stop because of this. They have a solid, concrete market in Canada. Now America? They need to try and expand the brand to the people, and to do so, they will try and push the best games with the biggest stars to try and get people to watch. You may not like them trying to push the game in the American market, and that's fine, but in order for the league to survive, it needs to capture some portion of the American auidence.

That is why. Not a national thing. It's a business thing. Always has been.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

...in last year's playoffs. As I stated, they haven't been on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC/NBC/OLN-Versus for a regular season game since 2000.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

...in last year's playoffs. As I stated, they haven't been on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC/NBC/OLN-Versus for a regular season game since 2000.

The Sena-whats? Is that the team with the centurion-looking dude for the logo? I thought they were the farm team of the Maple Leafs.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived