Nashville Predators Being Sold?

otherwilds

The NHL should consider what they were talking about months ago with going back to the 2-division per conference format:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division - Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay

Northeast Division - Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Washington

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division - Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis

Pacific Division - Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

-If the Predators move to Winnipeg, Kansas City or Houston they stay in the Central

-If the Predators move to Ontario they move to the Northeast and put Colorado in the Central

I know this wasn't your idea and that it was something put out there a few months ago but Washington in the Northeast makes no sense. There would be 4 teams (The NYC metro teams and Philly) in between them and the other team in the division. Plus on to of that Washington has more history with those 4 teams than the they do with the Northeast teams (and even the teams they are currently in the division with). It would be better the put Washington and Carolina with the current Atlantic and move Atlanta, Tampa, Florida into the Central with Detroit and Columbus in the Northeast. Then all the divisions would be connected.

Here is a map, one has if Nashville Moves to Hamilton one if they don't:

untitled.jpg

Minnesota in the same division with Florida & Tampa Bay :wacko:

Minnesota is closer to Florida than they are Vancouver in which currently they are in the same division with. Travel time would roughly be the same without having to cross 2 timezones.

I also remember Minnesota being in the same division for years with Tampa in the NFL. In fact before the North Stars moved they were in the same division as Tampa Bay (their inaugural year). So there is precedence.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whitfield says he's already getting calls from business interests stepping up to support the team. I guess we'll see if he's full of hot air or not, but he's the only one who knows.

If it is true, then there's nothing hilarious about the statement, "This team is incredibly valuable to this town."

I drive 6 hours round trip several times/year to watch the Predators. I bring my money to downtown Nashville restaurants, shops and hotels to see the team. Is that value to the community?

The Predators foundation makes an annual donation to the charity my wife and I started. Is that value to the community?

I'm sorry if I seem harsh, and maybe I'm misinterpreting some comments, but I get a sense of snobbery about "traditional" hockey markets. As I said before, the fans have done their part and yes, the team has done its part and recent news indictates local business may do the same.

Let's find out if they do before we say Nashville can't support the team and we should move them to wherever and realign the league.

I guess the only way to make everyone happy is to have a 22 team Eastern Conference and a 8 team Western Conference. That sounds lame of course but the travel and time zone thing just pisses of everyone.

What you do is not have conferences and just go with 4 divisions with divisional playoffs. Reseed the Division Champs for the 3rd round.

Whitfield says he's already getting calls from business interests stepping up to support the team. I guess we'll see if he's full of hot air or not, but he's the only one who knows.

If it is true, then there's nothing hilarious about the statement, "This team is incredibly valuable to this town."

I drive 6 hours round trip several times/year to watch the Predators. I bring my money to downtown Nashville restaurants, shops and hotels to see the team. Is that value to the community?

The Predators foundation makes an annual donation to the charity my wife and I started. Is that value to the community?

I'm sorry if I seem harsh, and maybe I'm misinterpreting some comments, but I get a sense of snobbery about "traditional" hockey markets. As I said before, the fans have done their part and yes, the team has done its part and recent news indictates local business may do the same.

Let's find out if they do before we say Nashville can't support the team and we should move them to wherever and realign the league.

Leipold has stated that the team has been actively searching for local investors have a stake in the franchise with zero luck. And this since 2002. No one's stepped up to the plate, not even in a miniscule minority stake.

Now they're ready to step up?

I frankly don't see why he'd lie about that - everything i've read about the guy and seen indicates he really did want the thing to work in Nashville - and that this isn't a spur of the moment decision to cast the team off to Balsillie.

Forgive me for joining late.. but the Preds stay for next season (07-08) then its off to the city with the best offer (08-09)?

Here is my understanding of what is going on. The Predators have until some point in June to in act a clause in their lease about attendance. Whoever the owner is at that time will probably do this as it is probably new owners wishes. If the clause in in acted then if the Predators draw below an average of 14,000 paid attendance next year the city can choose to buy the difference, if they choose not to do that then the Predators are free to leave.

So the Predators will be in Nashville 1 more year at least. After next year (if they don't reach attendance mark) it will be up to the city. I'm sure the new owner has done research and feels confident that the city will not buy up the difference if they fall short.

Considering how much the new owner paid for the team it seems there is a specific place he want to move the team (Southern Ontario) so there would be no bidding war between cities.

I agree with Leeds....Nashville is too ga-ga over Vandy and the Titans...UT as well, the transplants CANNOT support an NHL team (which other major transplant markets are discovering...like here in Atlanta).

Do explain.

Hedley, what I mean is that in non-traditional hockey markets...as we have here in Atlanta, the transplants aren't coming out in droves to see the Thrashers play. I feel as though with these Southern markets, the NHL thought that transplants, coming from northern hockey markets, would INSTANTLY buy up all the tickets and fill the seats. In Atlanta...the Thrashers are up against the Braves, Falcons, UGA/GT, and Hawks for attention (mostly in that order)...as I'm sure you'll agree. If Chipper Jones is constipated, there's a media fiasco...but finally this year with the Thrashers (narrowly and seemingly undeservingly) getting into the playoffs...they finally got some media coverage. It took all this time for Blueland to get recognition..and it seems as if the cities just...don't...care.

I feel like Nashville is the epitome of a team trying desperately to win the fans over...(In my experience Nashville tries so much harder than Atlanta does to bring in new fans)...but the people of Nashville just keep turning the other cheek. Meanwhile...there are cities like Kansas City, Hamilton...and yes...yes...WINNEPEG that are starving for a team...they have the fanbase of hockey fans, unlike Nashville does. To me, it's sad to see this scenario play out.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Forgive me for joining late.. but the Preds stay for next season (07-08) then its off to the city with the best offer (08-09)?

Here is my understanding of what is going on. The Predators have until some point in June to in act a clause in their lease about attendance. Whoever the owner is at that time will probably do this as it is probably new owners wishes. If the clause in in acted then if the Predators draw below an average of 14,000 paid attendance next year the city can choose to buy the difference, if they choose not to do that then the Predators are free to leave.

So the Predators will be in Nashville 1 more year at least. After next year (if they don't reach attendance mark) it will be up to the city. I'm sure the new owner has done research and feels confident that the city will not buy up the difference if they fall short.

Considering how much the new owner paid for the team it seems there is a specific place he want to move the team (Southern Ontario) so there would be no bidding war between cities.

Thanks for that.

So Southern Ontario is the destination, and its just a case of which city has the facility ready for the re-located team?

Leipold has stated that the team has been actively searching for local investors have a stake in the franchise with zero luck. And this since 2002. No one's stepped up to the plate, not even in a miniscule minority stake.

I do believe that's false. I'm pretty sure they've said all the interest was in minor shares.

That's not me trying to talk up the market, just preventing it from being talked down more than it should.

Ole Ball Silly is going to be highly surprised when he sees how much this has shaken up Nashville. Companies are finally seeing how much this will hurt Nashville's image if they leave and the rumblings of corp support are kicking up. This seems to really be galvanizing the city and getting good media attention in regards to support (our media here usually downs the team for whatever reason -they were like that about minor league hockey as well)

On the city government side, there is some question as to when the ownership can invoke the clause...be it this summer or next. There has to be TWO consecutive seasons of less than 14k paid...however the lockout year and post-lockout years do cannot count against us (per the lease). So, Leipold is saying the season BEFORE the lockout and 06-07 are consecutive...however, the city is saying that consecutive means consecutive, and that Ballsilie would have to wait until after NEXT season to invoke the clause(0607 and 0708-if we don't hit 14k)...however, the city can buy the number of tickets it would take to hit the 14k level and void it out.

Had we sold 8,000 more tickets over the course of the season (or not choked in the playoffs and had ONE MORE home game) this would not be an issue.

I agree with Leeds....Nashville is too ga-ga over Vandy and the Titans...UT as well, the transplants CANNOT support an NHL team (which other major transplant markets are discovering...like here in Atlanta).

Do explain.

Hedley, what I mean is that in non-traditional hockey markets...as we have here in Atlanta, the transplants aren't coming out in droves to see the Thrashers play. I feel as though with these Southern markets, the NHL thought that transplants, coming from northern hockey markets, would INSTANTLY buy up all the tickets and fill the seats. In Atlanta...the Thrashers are up against the Braves, Falcons, UGA/GT, and Hawks for attention (mostly in that order)...as I'm sure you'll agree. If Chipper Jones is constipated, there's a media fiasco...but finally this year with the Thrashers (narrowly and seemingly undeservingly) getting into the playoffs...they finally got some media coverage. It took all this time for Blueland to get recognition..and it seems as if the cities just...don't...care.

Hockey will never overtake football, baseball, or basketball in the media outlets here.....they cater to whatever gets the most readership.

Atlanta and the NHL aren't depending on Northern transplants for the Thrashers' success in the stands. Atlanta's been exposed to top-tier hockey before, unlike most of the new markets. A lot of the fans (well over half) are native Atlantans/Southerners who have had previous interest in hockey, whether it be from the Flames/Knights days or got hooked on hockey after attending a game. Most importantly, youth hockey has exploded in the past ten years.

Of course, having Northern transplants become Thrashers fans/followers can only be a good thing.....

I do believe that's false. I'm pretty sure they've said all the interest was in minor shares.

That's not me trying to talk up the market, just preventing it from being talked down more than it should.

it's directly from Leipold's letter in regards to the sale. So either he's lying, or you've got the facts a little off.

"I wanted to keep it here in Nashville," said Leipold. "I was looking for [a local investor] not to buy 100%, but 40%. I mean, help me network the community, share in the pain."

Anyway,

here's some commentary from the National Post:

National Post

I'm all for Balsillie moving the Preds off to Canada (because frankly I think it would serve the league better to have a moneyman like Balsillie involved in the NHL and to give the rabid Canadian market another outlet for support), but i've got to disagree with the idea of lopping off the other franchises. It wasn't too long ago that you could have categorized Ottawa as a "struggling franchise" along the same lines of the ones he recommends culling.

Pardon my ignorance, but if Kitchener/Waterloo or Hamilton do get chosen - do the Sens have any say (a la Baltimore Orioles vs. DC Nats)?

We will have to pardon your ignorance on this one... Ottawa is a 5 hour drive from those areas -- it's like asking if New York City has territorial rights over Washington, DC

Toronto has territorial rights over Hamilton, Buffalo is also close by... nobody has rights over Kitchener/Waterloo

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Well kids Bettman first significant statement on this issue

NHL commissioner: Predators "not going anywhere" Associated Press

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...ORTS02/70528018

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Monday that even if the sale of the Nashville Predators goes through, the franchise "is not going anywhere."

Craig Leipold has signed a letter of intent to sell the Predators to Canadian Jim Balsillie for $220 million.

Leipold has until June 19 to exercise a "cure" clause in Nashville's arena lease that would force the city to buy tickets and ensure attendance averages 14,000 next season. Averaging 14,000 paid attendance in 2007-08 would keep the lease in effect.

"If the attendance mark is satisfied, even if it's not, or if the city cures what would then be the default, this team is not going anywhere," Bettman said.

RobbyBox2.jpg

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Monday that even if the sale of the Nashville Predators goes through, the franchise "is not going anywhere."

Craig Leipold has signed a letter of intent to sell the Predators to Canadian Jim Balsillie for $220 million.

Leipold has until June 19 to exercise a "cure" clause in Nashville's arena lease that would force the city to buy tickets and ensure attendance averages 14,000 next season. Averaging 14,000 paid attendance in 2007-08 would keep the lease in effect.

"If the attendance mark is satisfied, even if it's not, or if the city cures what would then be the default, this team is not going anywhere," Bettman said.

I guarantee you if a Canadian team was in the situation Nashville is in now Bettman would be lining up unproven southern markets as suiters (see Winnipeg, QC, almost Edmonton).

What an a$$ clown.

Oh well, Nashville will rally to keep the Preds in town, the new honeymoon will last two seasons max, and then attendance and corporate support will drop again. Then the franchise's owners will look to relocate again, Betteman will do his song and dance again, and once again Nashville will cough up just enough support for the owners to decide to stay. Then once the new honeymoon ends....

It'll just keep going in circles.

That takes the cake, it really does. So what Gary, you'll keep the team in Nashville even if they draw piss-poor attendance numbers and have to give away thousands of free tickets just so the arena doesn't look empty? Yeah, brilliant move Gary.

Bettman makes me want to beat my heada gainst a wall. Refusing to acknowledge that the best thing for this team may be to move.

The city buying the tickets doesn't change anything, it just means the tickets are paid for, it doesn't mean that people give a :censored: about the team (necissarily) Unless the FANS want to pay for those tickets, corporate support will only last so long. If they aren't going to make money off of it in a significant way, they'll bail.

I promise you the City won't buy tickets forever. Eventually someone will ask what good it does the city to spend the money to buy these tickets up

I guarantee you if a Canadian team was in the situation Nashville is in now Bettman would be lining up unproven southern markets as suiters (see Winnipeg, QC, almost Edmonton).

What an a$$ clown.

Oh well, Nashville will rally to keep the Preds in town, the new honeymoon will last two seasons max, and then attendance and corporate support will drop again. Then the franchise's owners will look to relocate again, Betteman will do his song and dance again, and once again Nashville will cough up just enough support for the owners to decide to stay. Then once the new honeymoon ends....

That takes the cake, it really does. So what Gary, you'll keep the team in Nashville even if they draw piss-poor attendance numbers and have to give away thousands of free tickets just so the arena doesn't look empty? Yeah, brilliant move Gary.

Here is the complete transcript of what the Bettman press conference, quoted is the first two questions dealing with Nashville with the above quote.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hock...before_the_scf/

Q. What’s going to happen with Nashville?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: What’s going to happen with Nashville? We have an application by the club for Craig Leipold to sell the Nashville Predators to Jim Balsillie. That is a process that requires us to do some more due diligence, even though we did some in Pittsburgh, we have more to do.

It will require a three-quarter approval by the Board of Governors in terms of whether or not Mr. Balsillie as an owner and this transaction should be approved.

The Predators have a lease that goes, I think, for another 14 years, give or take. There is a possibility that the lease could terminate in a year if certain things do or don’t happen. But as far as we’re concerned right now, Mr. Balsillie’s request for approval and the transaction related solely to him buying the Nashville Predators subject to whatever lease is in effect, and if, in fact, at some point the lease is terminated and he seeks to relocate the franchise, that is something that would have to be considered under the league’s constitution and bylaws at the time.

Q. Would you be concerned of the perception that it could be a foregone conclusion or a self-fulfilling prophecy that the franchise would be moved?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: That’s why I answered the question the way I did. I’m hoping to dispel the perception. If the attendance mark is satisfied, even if it’s not, if the city cures what would then be the default, this team is not going anywhere.

There is a lease, and sports leagues aren’t in the practice of letting teams violate their leases. I believe Mr. Balsillie understands that and it’s conceivable that this team will be in Nashville for as long as its lease, however long that may be.

Q. But there are significant problems in Nashville, I think you would agree, given the attendance and the efforts that Craig Leipold made. Mr. Balsillie has made it known in the past that he would like to have a team in Canada. Your thoughts on, A, the problems in Nashville, whether they can be corrected, and, B, the potential for that team to move to Canada?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: That’s a terrific question for two reasons. One, the reason the clause that’s in question, the one that says if attendance is at a certain level and then there’s no cure, Craig actually - Leipold actually put in the lease, because he was concerned as to whether or not this particular non-traditional market could support a team long-term.

And we will find out the answer to the question, I suppose, over the next year assuming he gives the appropriate notice which I believe he needs to do by June 19th.

I met with Mr. Balsillie last week. Bill Daly and I both did, and I specifically asked him whether or not he had specific plans or intentions with respect to moving the franchise, and he told me he did not.

And so I think there’s been entirely too much speculation in terms of what comes next.

What’s clear to me from meeting with Mr. Balsillie is that he’s passionate about the game, would like to own a franchise and certainly has the resources to do it.

Beyond that, there have been no promises. There have been no predictions. And I think if anybody believes that this franchise is destined to a particular location, that’s more a matter of speculation.

With respect to a franchise returning to Canada, that’s something that intrigues me. Because with the partnership we have with the players and the revenue sharing, that’s something, while we haven’t studied it, seems to be more likely than it was three, four, five years ago.

I believe there was actually an editorial in today or yesterday’s National Post suggesting if we do return to Canada, we should go back to Winnipeg first because they have a new building and we owe it to them since this is a market that has had a club.

I’m not opining on whether or not that is an opinion that I agree with, but it is an interesting and intriguing thought.

He also went on to beat the whole Corporate Nashville needs to pick up or you may lose the team drum.

Helps to put things in context. He was just stating that it is not a forgone conclusion that the Preds are moved and it is possible for them to be locked into their lease for 14 year.

What an a$$ clown.

Here is the complete transcript of what the Bettman press conference, quoted is the first two questions dealing with Nashville with the above quote.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hock...before_the_scf/

Q. What?s going to happen with Nashville?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: What?s going to happen with Nashville? We have an application by the club for Craig Leipold to sell the Nashville Predators to Jim Balsillie. That is a process that requires us to do some more due diligence, even though we did some in Pittsburgh, we have more to do.

It will require a three-quarter approval by the Board of Governors in terms of whether or not Mr. Balsillie as an owner and this transaction should be approved.

The Predators have a lease that goes, I think, for another 14 years, give or take. There is a possibility that the lease could terminate in a year if certain things do or don?t happen. But as far as we?re concerned right now, Mr. Balsillie?s request for approval and the transaction related solely to him buying the Nashville Predators subject to whatever lease is in effect, and if, in fact, at some point the lease is terminated and he seeks to relocate the franchise, that is something that would have to be considered under the league?s constitution and bylaws at the time.

Q. Would you be concerned of the perception that it could be a foregone conclusion or a self-fulfilling prophecy that the franchise would be moved?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: That?s why I answered the question the way I did. I?m hoping to dispel the perception. If the attendance mark is satisfied, even if it?s not, if the city cures what would then be the default, this team is not going anywhere.

There is a lease, and sports leagues aren?t in the practice of letting teams violate their leases. I believe Mr. Balsillie understands that and it?s conceivable that this team will be in Nashville for as long as its lease, however long that may be.

Q. But there are significant problems in Nashville, I think you would agree, given the attendance and the efforts that Craig Leipold made. Mr. Balsillie has made it known in the past that he would like to have a team in Canada. Your thoughts on, A, the problems in Nashville, whether they can be corrected, and, B, the potential for that team to move to Canada?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: That?s a terrific question for two reasons. One, the reason the clause that?s in question, the one that says if attendance is at a certain level and then there?s no cure, Craig actually - Leipold actually put in the lease, because he was concerned as to whether or not this particular non-traditional market could support a team long-term.

And we will find out the answer to the question, I suppose, over the next year assuming he gives the appropriate notice which I believe he needs to do by June 19th.

I met with Mr. Balsillie last week. Bill Daly and I both did, and I specifically asked him whether or not he had specific plans or intentions with respect to moving the franchise, and he told me he did not.

And so I think there?s been entirely too much speculation in terms of what comes next.

What?s clear to me from meeting with Mr. Balsillie is that he?s passionate about the game, would like to own a franchise and certainly has the resources to do it.

Beyond that, there have been no promises. There have been no predictions. And I think if anybody believes that this franchise is destined to a particular location, that?s more a matter of speculation.

With respect to a franchise returning to Canada, that?s something that intrigues me. Because with the partnership we have with the players and the revenue sharing, that?s something, while we haven?t studied it, seems to be more likely than it was three, four, five years ago.

I believe there was actually an editorial in today or yesterday?s National Post suggesting if we do return to Canada, we should go back to Winnipeg first because they have a new building and we owe it to them since this is a market that has had a club.

I?m not opining on whether or not that is an opinion that I agree with, but it is an interesting and intriguing thought.

Helps to put things in context. He was just stating that it is not a forgone conclusion that the Preds are moved and it is possible for them to be locked into their lease for 14 year.

That is true, but at the same time you can tell he will do everything in his power to keep Balsille from purchasing the team. Even if Balsille is able to secure ownership, and attendance/corporate support remains lacklustre, I wouldn't put it past Bettman to simply say "I won't let you move to Kitchener-Waterloo/Hamilton/Cambridge" if/when Balsille says he's ready to make that move.

I base that on the fact that during the Penguins/Pittsburgh/Kansas City drama Bettman and Co. made it very clear that the NHL had the authority to block a move, even if the owner had every reason in the world to relocate.

I'm not 100% sure it's an anti-Canadian/traditional American market thing. I think part of it has to do with Bettman not wanting to admit that a team under his tenure is doing so poorly that relocation might be the best long-term option.

With the Penguins you had a team with two Stanley Cups and a fan base that had stood by the team through thick and thin since the '67 expansion. How bad would it look that under his reign a team with that kind of support had to leave?

With the Predators you have a team founded in a market as non-traditional as you can get. They were part of Bettman's dream for a huge NHL presence in North America, one that would lead to a huge TV deal. Now the TV deal has fallen through and one of the teams that was going to help that deal is in so much trouble that relocation to a smaller Canadian market may be the best long-term decision. If they do in fact move it will be proof that Bettman's plan to "grow the game" failed in at least one market, and that one failure is to much for his undeservingly huge ego to handle.

As long as the Preds stay in Nashville, even if they get next to zero corporate support and have to give away thousands of tickets just so the arena looks full, he can pretend that the franchise is a success.

Bottom line? Bettman doesn't want to admit he was in the wrong, even if it's only one franchise.

Archived