Nashville Predators Being Sold?

otherwilds

this is what I don't get....

this is what I don't get......

Hamilton to Buffalo 72.7 mi (about 1 hour 19 mins)

Hamilton to Toronto 40.7 mi (about 46 mins)

Toronto is only 98.9 mi (about 1 hour 48 mins) from buffalo to begin with.

Come on folks. This is as bad as NYC having the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils all together.

I thought they were "Growing" the sport.

Now all the Canadian pundits will say, "Yeah, great job of growing the sport. They want to leave Nashville."

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously, you don't get it, you don't live in the area. The drive from Toronto to Buffalo, by your calculations would be 113.4 mi (about 2 hours 5 min, but some people can get there in 90 minutes) You see, you can't drive on a straight from Toronto to Buffalo, you have to go through Hamilton... is that what you mean? :upside:

I saw, I came, I left.

I did google maps from Hamilton to the Air Canada Center, Hamilton to HSBC Arena, and just Air Canada Centre to HSBC.

That is where I got my numbers.

That and I had to conver it to miles from that wacky K thing.

Well that would explain it. You were taking the distance from downtown Hamilton.

I saw, I came, I left.

Come on folks. This is as bad as NYC having the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils all together.

Now all the Canadian pundits will say, "Yeah, great job of growing the sport. They want to leave Nashville."

The NHL has done a great job growing the sport in Tampa Bay, Carolina, Atlanta, Dallas, the Bay Area, and Los Angeles/Anaheim. The sport has taken root in those markets.

Like most ventures, however, the success rate was not 100%. There were some failures. So why not consolidate the fan bases in the markets that have accepted the game, and cut your loses in the markets that don't care for it?

A year ago I would have been scared for the Sabres if a team came to Hamilton, but now with all of the bandwagon fans, some who will stay with the team, the Sabres have an expansive fanbase, I am not really scared so much for the Sabres losing a lot of $$$$$ from this move. They will defiantly lose some fans, but the ones we gained could take their place.

That said I do want a team in Hamilton, It would create a nice BUF-HAM-TOR rivarly if they all are place in the same division.

saBS.png

Like most ventures, however, the success rate was not 100%. There were some failures. So why not consolidate the fan bases in the markets that have accepted the game, and cut your loses in the markets that don't care for it?

Exactly! If its not going to work now, its sure as heck ain't gonna go away.

Besides its time Canada had another team!! :flagcanada:;)

Well, I guess if I put aside my Kc & american bias...

I would be fine with Canada getting another team. But Hamilton?

I'd be happier with.....that dreaded..."W" town.....

Waterloo?

:D

I hope Mr. B. plays this song if he does move to K-W:

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war

Waterloo - promise to love you for ever more

Waterloo - couldn?t escape if I wanted to

Waterloo - knowing my fate is to be with you

I'm glad Canada might be getting another team, but if this makes the Pens move out of the Atlantic division and into the Western Conference I might flip out. Although, with my move to Indianapolis happening in two days, it would be nice to catch the Pens playing in Chicago or Columbus 4 times a season. Still not worth leaving the traditional rivalries with New York, New Jersey, and especially Philly.

Still I am happy for my neighbors to the North. :flagcanada:

This may get us into a different "Holistic" discussion about The Game, but I think this is where Bettman went wrong.

We don't need to grow Geographically to grow the game.

Grow the game to me is to attract more fans, no matter where they're from, even from existing markets, by giving fans and kids who'll become players more access to the game.

To do that, teams need to be secure financially, and find a happy median between profit, and ripping off their fans.

They need to find ways to get more revenues from corporations and tv (new media) deals, less from their fans.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Hamilton:

Mid-80s arena with no luxury boxes, etc.

Nearest existing teams: Toronto (41mi/66km) and Buffalo (72mi/115km)

Metro population: 692,911

Kansas City:

New state-of-the-art arena already under construction

Nearest existing teams: St. Louis (249mi/398km), Minnesota (438mi/700km)

Metro population: 1,947,694

I just don't understand how this can even be a contest.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ya gotta be kidding me.. teh Nashville Predators heading to Hamilton?? dang... I wanted the Predators to land here in Winnipeg!!! oh well.. I wonder who legally own the name to the Hamilton Tigers?? If it is possible, maybe the new logo could reflect the Tigers as well as the historial thing.. how about for shoulder patch, the old H logo on that and the new Tigers logo on the chest? Would work if so?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Hamilton:

Kansas City:

I'm going to infer (which always gets me in trouble) that you listed nearest teams as a sort of con for Hamilton when I think it would nothing but a great big pro.

Putting Everett in the WHL hurt Seattle but has made the league better, rivalry-wise, and it's not even a strong one yet. Having Hamilton, speaking in a completely non-bias position, would do the same for that area. Also, don't forget, people from STL or Minneapolis-St Paul aren't going to drive to KC because they can't get seats for the Blues or Wild. The team in Hamilton, I'm sure, would love to take the Leafs and Sabres sloppy seconds, as it were.

Hamilton:

Kansas City:

I'm going to infer (which always gets me in trouble) that you listed nearest teams as a sort of con for Hamilton when I think it would nothing but a great big pro.

Putting Everett in the WHL hurt Seattle but has made the league better, rivalry-wise, and it's not even a strong one yet. Having Hamilton, speaking in a completely non-bias position, would do the same for that area. Also, don't forget, people from STL or Minneapolis-St Paul aren't going to drive to KC because they can't get seats for the Blues or Wild. The team in Hamilton, I'm sure, would love to take the Leafs and Sabres sloppy seconds, as it were.

Hamilton=Canada=~75% of people are already hockey fans

KC=Mid-West USA=~25% of people are already hockey fans

They will already have a fanbase, in KC they will have to earn fans, in Hamilton they just have to show up with a team.

saBS.png

Hamilton:

Kansas City:

Hamilton=Canada=~75% of people are already hockey fans

KC=Mid-West USA=~25% of people are already hockey fans

They will already have a fanbase, in KC they will have to earn fans, in Hamilton they just have to show up with a team.

Here's where the fact that the KC metro population is 3 times the size of Hamilton's comes into play. Yes they may have to earn fans, but based on your percentages, the "core" group they already have is almost as large as Hamilton's 75% support.

If you can even grow the fanbase a little, KC is clearly the better option in the long run.

We don't need to grow Geographically to grow the game.

Grow the game to me is to attract more fans,

If you think about it, that means that the NHL should not move a team to Hamilton, Winnipeg, et al. The proponents of such a move like to point out that the populations of such burgs are already NHL fans sans team. It would still make more sense (if you want to attract more fans) to go for a market like KC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hamilton:

Kansas City:

Perhaps he knows he can make more money in an older arena in a somewhat crowded market than in a new arena with no competition around -- you know nashville had a new arena and was far from other markets in the league too

The population of "Metro Hamilton" may only be 692,911, but there are about 5 million people within an hour drive of the city, and I'd wager a good chunk of those are die-hard hockey fans... and save for the 400,000 or so lucky bastards who can get Leafs tickets a season, none of them are able to attend NHL games.

What could be better for the league than to add another franchise in your biggest money making region? Taking another chance on another "who knows if it'll work but they got a new arena" situation? Not to say a team in KC will be a failure.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

You all really expect Leaf fans to go to Hamilton games because they can't get Leafs tickets? Seriously?

Toronto hockey fans barely go to AHL or OHL games, why would they support a rival of the Leafs?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived