Nashville Predators Being Sold?

otherwilds

Our Canadian brothers and sisters love their hockey and if we can get a team in our division in the EASTERN TIME ZONE where road games start at a reasonable 7:30pm, then I am all for it. Detroit has never belonged in the Western Conference.

Columbus is in the Eastern time zone.

Just sayin'....

Besides the good people of Columbus, can you think of anyone else who wants to watch the Blue Jackets?

Icecap-thanks for the geography lesson. I honestly see that I had some misperceptions about Canadian geography, (although I still wonder if a Southern Ontario team could hope to be competitive on the ice long term).

Chris-Maybe there was nothing else on... :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to sit on the fence on this issue.

Personally, I would love to see the NHL work in Nashville, but I am having a hard time thinking that it will work there. I have no problems with the NHL trying to go into these US markets, but I don't think adding a Canadian market is a bad thing. It isn't just the fan support, much of the television money now is coming from, not the US, but Canada. CBC and TSN are paying a lot of GUARANTEED money to broadcast games while the NHL has beg to get a deal in the US. We also have to take into consideration the Canadian dollar is worth MUCH more than it did when the Jets and Nordiques left.

Despite all that, I think it would be a mistake that NHL decide to stop trying to grow it's game. The idea of growing the game is not a bad idea, it's how you execute the plan. It's not Nashville's fault enitrely. Unforutnately, the NHL has done a poor job at marketing the game.

I saw, I came, I left.

And the third possibility IceCap, is that the threat to move spikes attendance and interest this season, and that interest stays and Nashville becomes a pretty viable market.

Why's that so impossible?

I understand why you find it frustrating that it takes a threat to move to get support to the right level, but I don't understand why you think it's a given that the support will go away once the threat does.

We have no prior history to judge the "fickleness" of Nashville hockey fans. Sure we're talking about people who had no interest in hockey now going to the games and supporting the team just to save "their" team...but in doing so, there's a pretty decent chance a lot of them are going to find that interest in hockey and really start caring about the team and sticking around after the threat is gone.

If that happens, then we can talk about it. I happen to think that it's a pretty big "if".

And until that day, we're talking about a market that has demonstrated great indifference to a really good hockey team.

But maybe the threat of losing the team will create a fanbase. Winning games on the ice certainly hasn't done it.... :P

There's a story on the news today about Ballsillie starting to recruit season ticket deposits in Hamilton.

Is this further along than anyone knows or is he just scoping out the market? It seems sort of strange since he doesn't really own the team yet. I wonder what the other owners may say about this when the sale comes up for approval?

There's a story on the news today about Ballsillie starting to recruit season ticket deposits in Hamilton.

Is this further along than anyone knows or is he just scoping out the market? It seems sort of strange since he doesn't really own the team yet. I wonder what the other owners may say about this when the sale comes up for approval?

That doesn't mean they're moving. Did anyone ever stop to think that he's just trying to expand Nashville's fan base?

I think he is trying to force the BOG hands in allowing him to move the team. By getting deposits he is trying to show that Hamilton could be a viable market. It has been done in the past but has failed. A similar thing happened when the Blues were bought in the 80's and the new owner wanted to move them to Saskatoon. However the BOG rejected his ownership application. Ballsillie is playing with fire through his recent actions in regards to Hamilton could piss off a few owners and cause them to reject his application for the team. This could blowup in his face like the Pittsburgh deal did.

I think he is trying to force the BOG hands in allowing him to move the team. By getting deposits he is trying to show that Hamilton could be a viable market. It has been done in the past but has failed. A similar thing happened when the Blues were bought in the 80's and the new owner wanted to move them to Saskatoon. However the BOG rejected his ownership application. Ballsillie is playing with fire through his recent actions in regards to Hamilton could piss off a few owners and cause them to reject his application for the team. This could blowup in his face like the Pittsburgh deal did.

OR they could stop acting like petty children and realize that the Preds in Hamilton offers the best chance for the club's stability, and by extent the health and public image of the league.

Or maybe that it doesn't.

Lacklustre ticket sales, piss poor corporate support, and thousands of free giveaways just so the arena doesn't look empty, all despite the team being an elite NHL club, almost dethrowning the mighty Red Wings for the division and Conference titles. Yeah the future looks bright for NHL hockey in Nashville :rolleyes:

Meanwhile you have practically everyone in southern Ontario who doesn't have Leafs season tickets chomping at the bit to see NHL hockey in a local setting with local investors lined up to support the team.

So what exactly is the downside to moving to Hamilton?

Better question yet, because you've refused to answer before, what about a seventh Canadian franchise do you not like? Or are you just one of those people taking that opinion to "be a fly in the ointment?"

Seems like I, Brian, and others have offered evidence as to why we don't believe the NHL will want to move to Hamilton. However, this is how it's gone:

...evidence...

"But it's Canada! Why do you hate Canada?!"

...evidence...

I think you get the point. I don't feel like completely reiterating the posts I've made previously on the topic only to have you ask me again why I hate Canada.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Seems like I, Brian, and others have offered evidence as to why we don't believe the NHL will want to move to Hamilton. However, this is how it's gone:

...evidence...

...evidence...

I think you get the point.

No, Brian has offered a well thought-out argument. One where I clearly see his points and his reasons behind them. I may not agree with him, but I can understand and respect where he's coming from. Also, Brian at least has the courtesy to respond and give his two cents on the "evidence" as to why many think the Predators would be better off in Hamilton as opposed to Nashville.

You, all you've done is post snappy one/two liners, and fail to take into account to address views that run contrary to your own. So no, we're all not mind readers, and your not that special that we can interpret what you mean to say when you post your one or two line comebacks and smart-a$$ remarks.

Now I'm asking you, Mockba, how can you say the Preds would be better off in Nashville compared to Hamilton when faced with the evidence of lacklustre support in Nashville, and rabid hockey enthusiasm in southern Ontario?

I think you get the point. I don't feel like completely reiterating the posts I've made previously on the topic only to have you ask me again why I hate Canada.

Reiterate? I would love it if you would have "iterated" in the first place.

As for the Canada thing, hey what exactly is one suppose to think when you make a point to badmouth every possible untapped market in Canada? Now I don't think you hate Canada, if I thought you did, I wouldn't ask, as I'd have an answer. I ask because you obviously don't, but yet you keep making a point to play "the NHL shouldn't move a team to Canada" card. In short it's the mystery that's killing me.

Furthermore IceCap, you simply reject the notion that Nashville is still a growing market and could reach the "viable" stage in a few years.

There's been plenty of evidence and reasoning given on why moving from Nashville to Hamilton is far from a "no-brainer," but you just keep rejecting it.

It maybe isn't so much about the NHL not wanting to move to Hamilton. I'll bet Buffalo and Toronto are scared about this move, no matter what Basille may pay them to relocate. The arena, Copps Colisuem, needs some work and what about local TV deals? The networks pay a good sum to show the Leafs, so how much are they willing to spend on Hamilton Whatchamacallits? What would be the viewership for those games? Where are their games being shown on weeknights let alone on Saturday nights?

I saw, I came, I left.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. This deal is doomed before it even gets off the ground.

Furthermore IceCap, you simply reject the notion that Nashville is still a growing market and could reach the "viable" stage in a few years.

There's been plenty of evidence and reasoning given on why moving from Nashville to Hamilton is far from a "no-brainer," but you just keep rejecting it.

No, there isn't plenty of evidence as to why staying in Nashville is a good idea. The market has ZERO potential to grow as a hockey market. Maybe a short boom of support due to a save the team movement, but that's all.

Bottom line? The team kicked ass this season, and it frankly shocked a lot of people that they were one and done in the playoffs. A lot of people were predicting the Preds to represent the West in the Stanley Cup finals. All that, and they didn't even manage to make the top 15 in attendance. The bandwaggon effect alone should have sold that place out night after night. This is a market that has shown apathy toward a good hockey in the past, and more of the same toward a great hockey team now. If you can't generate interest in the team just based on the band-waggon effect during a kick-ass season, what chance do you have of attracting more fans with five more seasons of "growing the game"? If there was any sort of solid foundation that the Preds could build a fan base on it would have shown in bandwaggoners selling out Nashville Arena night after night.

So what exactly is your solid evidence you keep pointing to, other then hope for the future that the past and present doesn't support, and your love for a rivalry that I wager most fans of your team don't care for?

If anyone's rejecting evidence, it's the "keep the team in town" crowd who's rejecting the evidence of Hamilton, or an other southern Ontario team, as viable hockey markets.

40% of the NHL's revenue comes from the six Canadian teams. Where's the downside to relocating a team in a struggling market and adding them as a seventh Canadian team? Forcing the team to stay in Nashville, and then blissfully ignoring the problems of the market won't make the situation any better.

No, there isn't plenty of evidence as to why staying in Nashville is a good idea. The market has ZERO potential to grow as a hockey market. Maybe a short boom of support due to a save the team movement, but that's all.

"The market has ZERO potential to grow as a hockey market," in your opinion. In the wake of relocation rumors, Nashville may enjoy "a short boom of support due to a save the team movement, but that's all," in your opinion.

You are more than welcome to hold and express these opinions in the CCSLC... just as there are members of this community who are more than welcome to hold and express the opinion that the Nashville market should be given additional time to prove itself as home to the NHL's brand of major professional ice hockey.

However, it would be most appreciated if you could see your way clear to insuring that your posts on this topic are less strident in tone in the future. As someone who has attempted to engage in a reasoned debate with you on this topic, I can honestly say that your posts have grown more abrasive as the thread has lengthened. You are so absolutely convinced of your own stand on this issue that you come across as being completely dismissive of those posters who don't agree with you.

Trust me: I'd be shocked if there was a member of this community who wasn't abundantly aware of the fact that you wholeheartedly believe the interests of the Predators franchise - and the NHL overall - are best-served by relocating the franchise to Hamilton, Ontario. The in-your-face "hard sell" isn't necessary when making your point... and I can't believe that it is winning many converts to your way of thinking.

Bottom line? Let's all treat one another with a bit of dignity in this thread as we go forward. Let's all "agree to disagree" with some degree of mutual respect. If we can't express our opinions - whatever they might be - without "talking down" to our fellow posters, said opinions are better kept to one's self.

In short, debate and discuss to your heart's content. However, if the barely concealed disdain in posts continues, this thread is bound for the Graveyard.

Thanks.

This is where it becomes no longer worth discussing with you.

Whether it's a good idea to move the Preds to Hamilton or not (although, I personally think it is), the NHL would be stupid to reject Balsillie.

The value of the Preds has been estimated at about 134 million. If Balsillie buys them for 240 million, he is drastically overpaying and is causing all franchise values in the league to skyrocket. For this one reason, Balsillie will get approval.

Balsillie is making it very clear that he fully intends to move the team to Hamilton. So, the only thing standing in his way, after getting ownership (which he will), is breaking the lease in Nashville.

Nashvillians have it easy right now. All they have to do is have 14,000 people show up and actually pay for tickets and they can lock their own team into the lease. My guess is they won't do it and the Preds will be gone after next season, or the following one at the latest.

Whether it's a good idea to move the Preds to Hamilton or not (although, I personally think it is), the NHL would be stupid to reject Balsillie.

The value of the Preds has been estimated at about 134 million. If Balsillie buys them for 240 million, he is drastically overpaying and is causing all franchise values in the league to skyrocket. For this one reason, Balsillie will get approval.

Balsillie is making it very clear that he fully intends to move the team to Hamilton. So, the only thing standing in his way, after getting ownership (which he will), is breaking the lease in Nashville.

Nashvillians have it easy right now. All they have to do is have 14,000 people show up and actually pay for tickets and they can lock their own team into the lease. My guess is they won't do it and the Preds will be gone after next season, or the following one at the latest.

I disagree, I think getting the NHL to approve the sale to Balsille will be the biggest obstacle.

He has more then enough money to pay off the lease to Nashville, regardless of if the team meets the 14, 000 minimum. He has more then enough money to pay off Toronto and Buffalo for territorial rights. In short, he has more then enough to move the team to Hamilton should he acquire ownership. It's getting the sale approved that's the problem. The NHL owners, with a little coxing from Bettman, can very well deny the sale. It's the one aspect Balsille can't solve with his money. Regardless of that the team will probably do better financially in Hamilton, regardless how much his overpaying for the Preds will boost the value of the NHL as a whole, Bettman and co. have proved over and over again they're capable of making bone-headed moves.

Archived