Brooklyn nets

TruColor

By average i mean that not every team sells out every game, there are always empty seats, especially in a working-class market like Northern NJ, most people can't afford to go. And even with the high prices, and driving the turnpike to get there, the place still gets 15k, 17k attendances. The average right now is 13,911, and that's not bad, circumstances considered. I'll guarentee you that Brooklyn will not do any better with attendance. May even do worse considering the Knicks have a firmer hold on a fanbase in Brooklyn than in NJ.

A high quality sports franchise in a highly accessible, state-of-the-art arena in a newly developed area with a fanbase that has the ability to support a major sports franchise (in other major sports) is better and more likely to draw large amounts of fans than a high quality sports franchise in an largly inaccessible (even without traffic) outdated arena in the middle of a swamp with a fanbase that has delivered year after year of financial losses for the franchise.

The way CableVision has been running the Knicks (up until, seemingly, recently) has turned off many casual Knicks fans (like myself) and it's more likely the Nets moving would negatively affect the Knicks than the Nets.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An arena in Brooklyn would be the same as an arena in Newark: A disaster. And i doubt Brooklyn can support a Major sports franchise, stick to the Cyclones.

And i've been to Brooklyn, many a times, and i don't know what you mean by "newly developed area"... most parts of Brooklyn look like Newark on steroids, or a glorified Beirut.

My guess is that the NJSEA will build a new Arena at the Meadowlands, and the Nets will stay put, so long as they aren't sold to this Brooklyn theif.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I supposed all of these arguments can also be made for les expos

The Expos are a completely different situation and just an awful mess. Not to mention MLB is deciding their fate. The NBA isn't in charge of the Nets...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

And i've been to Brooklyn, many a times, and i don't know what you mean by "newly developed area"... most parts of Brooklyn look like Newark on steroids, or a glorified Beirut.

The Arena is part of a development that includes luxury (read: overpriced) apartments, offices, etc. It won't be in the Beiruty or Newarky parts. Also, the proposed site is at the intersection of two Manhattanesque, relitavely high-end neighborhoods (mine included) that are anything but Beirut/Newark-esque.

The fact is, the Nets have had 27 years in New Jersey to build a solid, faithful fanbase and have failed. It's not all the fans' fault; the Nets were very, terrible for a long, long time. But, despite their recent success, they aren't generating support in New Jersey.

Brooklyn has been supporting other NYC franchises since 1957 and are more than up to the task of supporting our own NBA franchise.

(Just as a side note, as I'm going to bed now and I have a feeling it will be brought up in my absence...The reason the Dodgers left Brooklyn had nothing to do with fan support. Walter O'Malley was trying to milk a new stadium out of the city and highways and bridges czar Robert Moses would only offer them the tract of land near LaGuardia Airport now known as Shea Stadium. The city never took O'Malley's threats seriously and, when they blinked, O'Malley went ahead and ripped the heart out of the borough for generations to come. If you think I'm being melodramatic, say the name "Walter O'Malley" to any Brooklynite of any age and see what happens)

Can we get past the argument of whether or not they'll move, and try to come up with names in the chance they do move?

As has been stated before, this is the logos board.

I put my suggestions up, now let's see some others.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

My guess is that the NJSEA will build a new Arena at the Meadowlands, and the Nets will stay put, so long as they aren't sold to this Brooklyn thief.

The prospective owner is not a thief.  He would be paying for the team so that label is a bit extreme.

You know how the Nets would be able to stay in NJ with new ownership?  Have a NJ ownership group that is willing to keep the team there...

Why propose new names and colors? If the Jets and Giants can move to New Jersey and retain the title "New York," then the Nets can foolishly move to Brooklyn and keep the name "New Jersey"

ALthough if this does happen, I propose a tribute to the greatest Brooklynite of all-time, Gabe Kotter.

Kaplan.gif

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Why propose new names and colors? If the Jets and Giants can move to New Jersey and retain the title "New York," then the Nets can foolishly move to Brooklyn and keep the name "New Jersey"

ALthough if this does happen, I propose a tribute to the greatest Brooklynite of all-time, Gabe Kotter.

Kaplan.gif

Please tell me you're not suggesting the Brooklyn Sweathogs?!

:D

Kaplan.gif

In the same spirit, other Brooklyn names based on Brooklyn-native celebrities...

woody-allen.jpg

The Brooklyn Neuroses

The Brooklyn Woodies

barbra-streisand.jpg

The Brooklyn Barbras

The Brooklyn Yentls

sigler06.jpg

The Brooklyn Walnuts

The Brooklyn Mafiosos

photo_cast_steve.jpg

The Brooklyn Buscemis

The Brooklyn Weirdos

And finally,

quinn.gif

The Brooklyn Unfunny But Inexplicibly Employed Comedians

As someone from New Jersey, I want to say good riddance to the Nets. That's because I hate basketball, and want the NBA to collapse. But I don't want the Nets to leave because I don't know what would happen to my Devils, (who are far more popular in NJ than the Nets), although I am sure they would stay as Yankees, aren't trying to dump them like the Nets.

With that said, a team in Brooklyn would fail. Going into NYC (Brooklyn is NOT a city, it is a part of New York City), and directly competing with the Knicks is a bad move. People in the New York metro area are loyal fans, there not going to stop being Knick fans because there is a new team in the City. People in New Jersey won't like the team because they moved. That leaves you with a very small fanbase (smaller than what they have now), and the team would fail.

And Let's not use the Brooklyn Dodgers, They moved close to 50 years ago. Most people who remember the Dodgers are at least in thier 60's. Things have changed since then.

:P  People, people, who are we fighting here?!?!?  As a lifelong Knicks fan presently disgruntled by their owners' mismanagement, as well as an ABA-era Nets fan (Old School, Baby!!), modern pro sports is driven by & predicated by $.  You all know that; the Meadowlands arena is TOO 80's to generate the needed $.  IF the Brooklyn developers can find enough said $, we just might see the Brooklyn Nets some day.

BTW the Knickleheads have back-channel protested the potential move.  Also, have any of you seen the prospective Brooklyn arena models?  Some of the nicest sports architecture I've seen in some time, inspired stuff.  IF you're not a New Yawker or ever been to Brooklyn then it's charm & mystique can't be explained here.  Ask any Brooklynite & they'll likely tell you "Fahgeddaboudit!!"   :cool:

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

i agree with united waffles. true jqk, you have sufferd with the nets, but now that they are secceding, you fail to celebrate with them. the nets recent success has exposed the truth about the new jersey sports fan: he dosnt care about basketball (at lest when the team is winning anyway, which is the opposit of most cities). brooklyn may be part of nyc, but is its own city at heart. brooklyn sports fans only cheer for ny teams because they have no choice. if a basketball team moved to brooklyn, then the knicks would become the most hated sports team (outside the dodgers) in brooklyn, and the nets are just the team to move. dont worry jkrdevil, if the nets move, the devils will stay bnecause the nj fans care about them.

The Brooklyn Dodgers move is still by far the greatest crime in the history of sports.

Aw, the Brooklyn-to-Los Angeles move paved the way for baseball on the West Coast.  And even tho your papers don't print our scores, that's a damn good thing.

If we're talking moving franchises, I'd say the Colts' midnight exodus from Baltimore was a bigger shock.  As far as crimes go, swapping Babe Ruth and almost of century's worth of dominance for the funds to produce "No-No Nanette" was bigger by far.

If we put our minds to it, I bet we could come up w/ some more crimes worse than the Dodgers' move.

Jeez, I thought this was a logo board.

For a logo suggestion, I'd try something incorporating the Brooklyn Bridge - either the net-like appearance of the suspension cables, maybe even a ball "splashing" into the bridge a la the old Cavs logo.

Brooklyn Nets is a fine name, though they would probably lose more support from the other boroughs and NJ if they used that instead of NY Nets. They could also use New York Nets as the name, and keep the bridge in the logo as a subtle reminder of where the team plays (like the Mets). You would also have a nice three-letter acronym for a secondary logo - either "NYN" or "BKN". Plus, they could poetically complete the outer-borough fan axis: Mets, Jets, Isles and Nets. For some reason, there are only two types of NY fans: Yanks/Rangers/Giants or Mets/Isles/Jets. They can keep the colors - red/white/blue has been the Nets scheme since the ABA days.

As for fan support, they'd have a tough time, but even in the lowest depths of the Cablevision era, Knicks tix were really hard to come by. And NJ is not that far away, so they might not lose that many fans - my girlfriend's family is from Brooklyn and she always flies into Newark because it's easier for them to get to than either of the city airports. If they were really chicken, they could name themselves "New York/New Jersey" like the MLS MetroStars. If they moved to Brooklyn, they would most likely benefit from some NJ fans, lower-income NY fans, as well as people from Long Island (little-known geography: Brooklyn is actually the tip of Long Island).

Speaking of which, here's a crazy idea, somewhat off topic: any chance the Isles would move to this Brooklyn arena? That might be a hot idea.

Glad I could get this focused back on logos...

Archived