The future of the UHL

rvrdgsfn

LAKE ST. LOUIS, MO--- The United Hockey League (UHL) announced on Wednesday that it will be announcing the future plans of the league live at its Annual Meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada on Wednesday, June 20. The live announcement will be broadcast via UHL corporate partner B2 Networks at 7:00 p.m. (EDT).

"We understand that there has been a lot of speculation about the future of the United Hockey League, and many of the fans' questions will be answered on June 20." stated Paul Pickard, UHL Chairman of the Board of Governors. "We are looking forward to sharing the bright, exciting future of hockey in this league with UHL fans across the globe on the live broadcast."

Fans can access the announcement approximately five minutes prior to 7:00 p.m. (EDT) at www.theuhl.com and www.b2livetv.com. A high-speed internet connection and Windows Media Player 9 or higher will be needed to view the live broadcast.

I think either a merger with ECHL or CHL or they're folding or they'll do one more season.

baltimoreravens.png

They will not merge with the ECHL for two reasons.

1. The ECHL already stated it is not accepting any more teams for the 2007-08 season

2 The ECHL schedule is already out

Signature intentionally left blank

I simply don't believe they'd say the "bright, exciting future" if they were folding either.

Now, it may not be all that bright or all that exciting, but I'll bet they have plans besides folding.

St. Louis (St. Charles really) had been rumored to be getting a UHL or ECHL (which apparently definitely is not happening this year) team back for this upcoming season, so perhaps they've got another market or three lined up.

Woot woot for my hometown being the headquarters and where all the press-releases come from, too. That's so weird seeing.

from CentralHockeyLeague.com

"The Central Hockey League?s annual summer meetings get underway Thursday as owners, governors and employees from each Central Hockey League club descend on the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort in Phoenix. Expected topics of discussion during the CHL Governor?s Meetings (Thursday and Sunday) include 2007-2008 alignment, playoff format and roster regulations."

This may be a possibility. This would really make the league grow. I remember when the WCHL merged with the ECHL which helped some of the struggling teams stay alive from WCHL. There are a lot of minor hockey leagues and combining a few together IMO would bring more interest from fans and have a true minor league for the NHL. Instead of 8-10 different leagues, maybe 2-3 based on age. Each current league would be a division in the larger umbrella league. I do enjoy the Memorial Cup championships between WHL, OHL and QMJHL. Sorry went off topic. I'll stop now.

2000Patch.jpg

er, wow talk about a feeling stupid moment. I totally didn't know that the ECHL schedule was made already. Can't always be perfect right? But more than likely, they'll either merge with the CHL or go one more season.

baltimoreravens.png

Well right now as of the CHL website, there are 19 teams. Wikipedia lists 7 more cities to possibly be added in 08-09:

- Yuma, AZ (pending an arena)

- Rapid City, SD

- Kansas City, MO (maybe if the NHL doesn't come knocking)

- Monterey, MX (highly doubt this would happen, but who knows)

- San Diego, CA

- Little Rock, AR

- Omaha, NE (another questionable one with the AHL Knights leaving)

Throw in the 5 UHL teams, and you'll have at least 24 teams (if none of the above join) and as many as 31 (if all of the above join)

Well right now as of the CHL website, there are 19 teams. Wikipedia lists 7 more cities to possibly be added in 08-09:

- Rapid City, SD

- San Diego, CA

- Little Rock, AR

Throw in the 5 UHL teams, and you'll have at least 24 teams (if none of the above join) and as many as 31 (if all of the above join)

The Kansas City team is most likely to be based in Independence, MO, at a new ~5,000 seat arena. Belton, MO voters first had the chance at this, but they totally smacked it down. This has nothing to do with the Sprint Center, though if KC does end up with an NHL team, it might be cool to have an affiliate in the area.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

The Kansas City team is most likely to be based in Independence, MO, at a new ~5,000 seat arena. Belton, MO voters first had the chance at this, but they totally smacked it down. This has nothing to do with the Sprint Center, though if KC does end up with an NHL team, it might be cool to have an affiliate in the area.

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the info.

"The Central Hockey League?s annual summer meetings get underway Thursday as owners, governors and employees from each Central Hockey League club descend on the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort in Phoenix. Expected topics of discussion during the CHL Governor?s Meetings (Thursday and Sunday) include 2007-2008 alignment, playoff format and roster regulations."

This may be a possibility. This would really make the league grow. I remember when the WCHL merged with the ECHL which helped some of the struggling teams stay alive from WCHL. There are a lot of minor hockey leagues and combining a few together IMO would bring more interest from fans and have a true minor league for the NHL. Instead of 8-10 different leagues, maybe 2-3 based on age. Each current league would be a division in the larger umbrella league. I do enjoy the Memorial Cup championships between WHL, OHL and QMJHL. Sorry went off topic. I'll stop now.

The alignment statement is not surprising as they added a team in North Richland Hills and Lubbock couldn't secure a new lease and may be moving to San Angelo.

- Rapid City, SD

- San Diego, CA

- Little Rock, AR

The League has been trowing out Monterey for years. I'd like to see it but I don't think it will happen.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I heard on another message board that the UHL will become the International Hockey League next season and Port Huron will join under new ownership and new name. Also Toledo will join and will play in a new small modular like arena to be built this summer. I cant see the Toledo thing coming together

Signature intentionally left blank

The alignment statement is not surprising as they added a team in North Richland Hills and Lubbock couldn't secure a new lease and may be moving to San Angelo.

- Rapid City, SD

- San Diego, CA

- Little Rock, AR

The League has been trowing out Monterey for years. I'd like to see it but I don't think it will happen.

The team that's in North Richland Hills isn't really new, per say. It's just the Ft. Worth Brahmas reincarnated as the Texas Brahmas with a new arena (NYTEX Sports Centre, formerly the Blue Line Ice Complex)

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

I heard on another message board that the UHL will become the International Hockey League next season and Port Huron will join under new ownership and new name. Also Toledo will join and will play in a new small modular like arena to be built this summer. I cant see the Toledo thing coming together

I kept hearing that rumour as well about toledo but its pretty much known that once the new arena is built, their will be an echl team, just not the storm. I would find it interesting if they rename theirselves the IHL though. Kind of stupid IMO

baltimoreravens.png

I've seen that as well, but I can't help but think that neither Toledo nor Port Huron would be long for this world.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I would like for the UHL to come to San Diego, that way, there'd be something interesting to watch at the Sports Arena.

You do realize this league is currently confined to Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan-right? :blink:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And we have a winner. The UHL is the IHL. Didn't see a new thread about this, so I'll bump this one up.

www.ihl-hockey.com

What a crappy website. The logo looks done in Paint. The bar at the top with the teams in it looks way unbalanced. It's cluttered as hell. I mean, c'mon. We know you're a 6-team Midwest league, but it's not that hard to have a professional looking website. At the very least, people would take the league a little more seriously.

Archived