Home Run Derby!

pcgd

While I was driving to a wedding yesterday, I started thinking about the home run derby.

I have always loved the HR derby. I know its not the purest form of baseball, but how many of you would sit in your backyard with a wiffle ball bat or one of the Big Red Bats and play home run derby on a 50 foot field?

Or as you got older, always want to have home run derby's in little league and through HS?

I know I did.

So as the derby is approaching, I thought I'd see who you'd like to see in the derby this year.

The first list I thought would be active players you'd like to see. Doesn't matter if they only have 10 HRs this year. Just what would entertain you the most? Because that's what it is all about. Also, some people think that it screws up a players swing for the second half. Don't restrict your lists thinking this could happen. Assume nothing will effect their swing for the second half.

Same Rules as the All-Star HR derby, 4 players from each league. Lets try to keep it to one player per team. You can justify if you'd like. Also, I don't care if you have Homer picks either. I have Pujols and he's not having the best year of his career. But I still think him hitting is so much fun to watch.

NL

Barry Bonds

Ryan Howard

Albert Pujols

Prince Fielder

AL

Alex Rodriguez

Sammy Sosa

David Ortiz

Gary Sheffield

I don't know, but if that line up was out there I think it'd be entertaining as hell.

And now, if you could have an all time HR derby, who would you put on it. Whomever you want, from any period of baseball history. Steroids, live ball, nothing is off limits. If you look at my list, I have a player from the Negro Leagues and one from Japan. So doesn't matter if they played in the MLB or not. I think the top 5 or 6 will be on everyone's but the last 4 will be entertaining.

Lets do 10. Leagues don't matter.

Barry Bonds

Babe Ruth

Hank Aaron

Willie Mays

Josh Gibson

Sadaharu Oh

Mark McGwire

Dave Kingman

Harmon Killabrew

Reggie Jackson

Ted Williams

Any one else have thoughts?

Well it didn't mess up Ryan Howard's swing. I think that theory is garbage.

I'd add Griffey to the NL team, just 'cause.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Abreu suck(ed)(s).

Maybe we can interest the Yankees in a worthess leftfielder this year...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Who's in my Home Run Derby?

Lindsay from Accounts Payable - I know I can take that deep, over and over...

*runs away*

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Top 10 All Time Home Run Derby Candidates

1. Babe Ruth

2. Mickey Mantle

3. Hank Aaron

4. Willie Stargell

5. Willie Mays

6. Ralph Kiner

7. Josh Gibson

8. Hank Greenburg

9. Mike Schmidt

10. Barry Bonds

I think I would want Frank Howard in there some how too, maybe instead of Schmidt.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Top 10 All Time Home Run Derby Candidates

1. Babe Ruth

2. Mickey Mantle

3. Hank Aaron

4. Willie Stargell

5. Willie Mays

6. Ralph Kiner

7. Josh Gibson

8. Hank Greenburg

9. Mike Schmidt

10. Barry Bonds

I think I would want Frank Howard in there some how too, maybe instead of Schmidt.

Good to see some Senator love. They have some of the seats that Howard hit in the FAR outfield seats of ol' RFK painted in white, and boy are they far.

AL:

A-Rod (Leads league in HR)

Ortiz (Can hit it out of the park)

Thomas (500 HR's)

Guererro (Can hit it anywhere)

NL:

Bonds (Home Field)

Griffey Jr.(Best swing in baseball)

Fielder (Young Star)

Howard Young Star #2)

saBS.png

Abreu suck(ed)(s).

Maybe we can interest the Yankees in a worthess leftfielder this year...

But then who'd I boo every time I go to a Phillies game? :therock::P

I may not be a Phightin's fan, but getting rid of Pat "The prettiest one-handed swinging third strike, that is, if he swings, in baseball" Burrell would be great for them.

Oh, and to answer the topic:

AL: Vlad, A-Rod, Papi, Big Hurt

NL: Howard, Bonds, Griffey, Prince

1. A-Rod

2. Fielder

3. Griffey

4. Morneau

5. Howard

6. Sheffield

7. Bonds

8. Pujols

9. Dunn

10. Vlad

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

If it's me, they bat in this order.

1. Alex Rios, TOR

2. Miguel Cabrera, FLA

3. Torii Hunter, MIN

4. J.J. Hardy, MIL

5. Justin Morneau, MIN

6. Ken Griffey Jr., CIN

7. Alex Rodriguez, NYY

8. Prince Fielder, MIL

LvZYtbZ.png

For me the HR Derby should be the 4 best HR hitters in the NL versus the 4 best HR hitters in the AL!!! That is all! No reguards of team!!! As of now it would be...

Prince

Dunn

Griffey

Howard...

For the NL

AND,

ARod

Morneau

Pena

Sheffield

For the AL!

As far as all time...

Ruth

Aaron

Mays

Jackson

For the OLD SCHOOL!

McGwire

Sosa

Bonds

Canseco

For the NEW SCHOOL!

It would probably be like 12 hours for the HR Derby if all were involved haha.

The only thing this YEAR. Is that the damned game and HR derby are in :puke: Bonds' backyard. So Barry gets in on a HUGE technicality!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So Dunn or Howard HAVE to take a backseat to him :rolleyes: I'm a Brewers fan, but you can't argue with who's leading the league in homers now!

Sorry just my $0.02

Kyle

packchampionslfroh.png

For me the HR Derby should be the 4 best HR hitters in the NL versus the 4 best HR hitters in the AL!!! That is all! No reguards of team!!! As of now it would be...

Prince

Dunn

Griffey

Howard...

For the NL

AND,

ARod

Morneau

Pena

Sheffield

For the AL!

As far as all time...

Ruth

Aaron

Mays

Jackson

For the OLD SCHOOL!

McGwire

Sosa

Bonds

Canseco

For the NEW SCHOOL!

It would probably be like 12 hours for the HR Derby if all were involved haha.

The only thing this YEAR. Is that the damned game and HR derby are in :puke: Bonds' backyard. So Barry gets in on a HUGE technicality!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So Dunn or Howard HAVE to take a backseat to him :rolleyes: I'm a Brewers fan, but you can't argue with who's leading the league in homers now!

Sorry just my $0.02

Kyle

Nice to see that we mostly agree. However, traditionally one does not appear in the Home Run Derby unless they are an All-Star, leaving me with the team I have.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived