ALLSTAR 2008 NBA LOGO

Hoopskid

W.e

Yah when I first saw the logosheet. I was like, nice, primary is awesome. Wordmark could use some work, it's more of a logo, I see wordmarks being wider...

Then I look at the last logo in the set, a crawfish. I thought it was brilliant, kinda like what Houston used in 06, the Guy with a jet pack.

But overall, very nice job by the NBA and New Orleans, a successful logo.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice alternate logos. As an area resident, the whole package gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling......

I can see how one can 'feel the love' for the crawfish design, but for me, it's not to the point of changing the name/logo of the team to this exactly. Firstly, "crawfish" are best know as something you eat. Not necessarily an intimidating or even inspiring team name, like Timberwolves, Grizzlies, or even Hornets. Maybe for a baseball team (see Hickory Crawdads, Columbus/Carolina Mudcats, or Montgomery Biscuits) but not an NBA team. Secondly, IF you were to go with that crawfish logo, the colors would have to be changed. A teal crawfish? Looks diseased, spoiled or maybe mutated..... Before you cook'em, they're usually a dull brown/gray/black with some green highlights; once cooked (like lobsters) they turn a nice shade of red.

While I think locals would love a name/colors change (as has been posted a bazillion times before, the best would be the three-way Bobcats/Jazz/Hornets switcheroo) you can bet that as long as Shinn owns the team, they will continue to be named "Hornets" and will always feature in some shape or form, TEAL.

It is what it is.

Am I the only one who really feels that these logos don't work well together at all? They all seem like they originated as concepts for the main logo itself and they threw them together afterwards...

Personally, I see them all going together fine. They don't have a common specific theme, like crawfish, stars, or horns...but their common thread is simply "New Orleans." Because of te simplicity of that idea but broadness of scope, I think they all work together quite well.

And I also agree that Mr. Crawdad needs to be the center of some team's branding scheme, teal or not. I don't see the teal as a problem, because Grizzlies aren't blue, nor Honets teal, nor Hawks that shade of red (with blue, no less). Do I feel the Crawfish need to be a Hornets rebrand? Not necessarily. I'd definately prefer Jazz/Crafish/Crawdads to what they have now in the much ballyhooed, much needed swap, but a D-League Baton Rouge Crawfishfranchise would suit me fine also.

I'd also like to point out, though a stretch, that the Crawfish forms a crescent, maybe a subtle nod to NOLA's "Crescent City" moniker. This entire logo set is a thing of beauty. Long-live the 'dad logo!

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

1. what does "NOLA" stands for? "new orleans _______ _____"

2. the idea of using the hornets colors for the all-star game logo is a bad idea for the simple fact that the all-star game is a neutral event not a hornets event. i perfer them to use their original jersey if not just substitute the colors for re,white and blue.

The last few seasons the NBA allstar game colors have been influenced by the team in that city. Houston, Denver and now New Orleans.

However, the Uniforms have always used some sort of blue, red and white combo. I doubt that this years jerseys will be purple or teal, instead they'll be blue and white. Of course the jerseys will use purple, teal and gold, but not as a color for the actual jerseys.

1. what does "NOLA" stands for? "new orleans _______ _____"

2. the idea of using the hornets colors for the all-star game logo is a bad idea for the simple fact that the all-star game is a neutral event not a hornets event. i perfer them to use their original jersey if not just substitute the colors for re,white and blue.

1. "NOLA" stands for New Orleans, Louisiana.

2. The event is in New Orleans, and the Hornets' team colors are very much inspired by the traditional Mardi Gras colors. Also, most of the recent All-Star events have featured colors inspired by the host city's team, why should New Orleans be any different?

Any predictions for ALL-STAR 2009.

I think that the possibilities are:

Boston - New players, New hope, the city is revived I guess.

Washington - The capital, they've made the playoffs a few times the last few years, they seem worthy.

Portland - #1 pick altho I'd imagine they'd wait till 2011 or so, until Oden is an allstar.

Toronto - Spread basketball across canada, now that the raptors are good and people actually care.

Phoenix - If they can't win a title, they at least deserve an allstar game.

Of course any team can get it, any city, but I think these are the most probable.

Any thoughts?

Washington - The capital, they've made the playoffs a few times the last few years, they seem worthy.

Portland - #1 pick altho I'd imagine they'd wait till 2011 or so, until Oden is an allstar.

Toronto - Spread basketball across canada, now that the raptors are good and people actually care.

Of course any team can get it, any city, but I think these are the most probable.

Any thoughts?

It won't be Phoenix (1995) or Washington (2001) because they've hosted the game recently. I could see the NBA playing the game in London or Paris with their new stadiums built. I think that would be cool and the NBA is really moving that way with their International Marketing. Maybe Vegas again (as long as Pacman Jones is not invited)? But, if they stay in the League...I can see Boston, Toronto, and maybe a warm-weather team like Dallas, Miami, or Charlotte as possible candidates.

In 2010 or beyond though I wouldn't be surprised to see Brooklyn, Orlando, or Oklahoma City as possible hosts, because of new arenas or new teams. Hopefully...OKC won't, but you never know. The NBA might award it as the Thank You for babysitting the Hornets.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I love the crawdad. I agree that it should find its way into the everyday scheme for the franchise and why not the name? The NBA isnt so formal that a playful name wouldn't work. they aren't that imposing, bu they are imposing looking. they do have claws. Suns, Clippers, Nuggets, or Knickerbockers don't really inject me with fear

Am I the only one who really feels that these logos don't work well together at all? They all seem like they originated as concepts for the main logo itself and they threw them together afterwards...

AS08_logo.jpg

AllStar08AltLogos.gif

Isn't that the point of alternate logos?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Any thoughts?

It won't be Phoenix (1995) or Washington (2001) because they've hosted the game recently. I could see the NBA playing the game in London or Paris with their new stadiums built. I think that would be cool and the NBA is really moving that way with their International Marketing. Maybe Vegas again (as long as Pacman Jones is not invited)? But, if they stay in the League...I can see Boston, Toronto, and maybe a warm-weather team like Dallas, Miami, or Charlotte as possible candidates.

In 2010 or beyond though I wouldn't be surprised to see Brooklyn, Orlando, or Oklahoma City as possible hosts, because of new arenas or new teams. Hopefully...OKC won't, but you never know. The NBA might award it as the Thank You for babysitting the Hornets.

Last I heard Toronto wanted to host a game after 2011 to coincide with the renovations going on outside the Air Canada Centre

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Any thoughts?

I know the Suns have been trying to get the '09 All Star game to setup the following:

2008 - Super Bowl XLII

2009 - NBA All Star Game

2010 - MLB All Star Game

2011 - NHL All Star Game (Originally '06 but scrapped due to Olympics and they didn't get it for '10 for the same reason)

Time will tell if it works out for the Phoenix area.

arizonawildcatsbs4.png

Archived