Tampa Bay Mutiny Logo

Diablo de Tejas

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a bat...

It's not just any bat. That is actually Lethorso, a famous 17th century pirate bat. Lethorso was first mate on the bat pirate ship Wingspeed. One day, the bat captain, the infamous bat pirate Darkshanks, started making odd decisions. Lethorso led the rest of the bat crew to make Darkshanks walk the bat plank. This failed to stop Darkshanks, as, being a bat, he simply flew off the bat plank. He fled, never to be seen again, and Lethorso's mutiny was complete--now HE was the bat captain. That's why he is featured in the Mutiny's logo.

You can read the full story on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethorso

According to the inaugural MLS yearbook, the logo depicts a "cybernetic bat, controlling the ball not with its feet but with it's mind". I kid you not. I can post the exact quote over the weekend when I can reference the book, but you don't forget something like that. :P

The logo depicted in the book has a soccer ball inbetween the thing's feet, and a solid color background. My memory is less clear on this, but I believe there is also a mechanical spider-looking logo. It's like a 3D, bright green robotic spider standing over a soccer ball. Again, when I can reference the book over the weekend hopefully I can be clearler and grab a scan.

Because of the Mutiny font, I always thought it was supposed to be a modernized "Space Invader," but now that I actually follow up on that and grab a screenshot, I'm not sure which one:

SpaceInvaders.jpg

Guess a simple font can throw me way off course. I need a bat captain.

I see a bat...

It's not just any bat. That is actually Lethorso, a famous 17th century pirate bat. Lethorso was first mate on the bat pirate ship Wingspeed. One day, the bat captain, the infamous bat pirate Darkshanks, started making odd decisions. Lethorso led the rest of the bat crew to make Darkshanks walk the bat plank. This failed to stop Darkshanks, as, being a bat, he simply flew off the bat plank. He fled, never to be seen again, and Lethorso's mutiny was complete--now HE was the bat captain. That's why he is featured in the Mutiny's logo.

You can read the full story on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethorso

No wonder the team failed.

As I've said elsewhere and before, they'd have done better to resurrect the Rowdies name (and possibly colors/kit) than to go with a cybernetic bat who controls the ball with his mind.

"Who were the ad wizards who came up with this one?"

It is what it is.

A group of Bats is called a "Mutiny"...so it's probably a slight play off of that.

Huh. I learned something today.

And I dunno, I always liked the Mutiny's look, and I own a '97 and '98 jersey of theirs. It's just so frickin' out there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wait, someone posted a Mutiny thread and didn't inform me? :D

But yeah, it's a bat, and I actually had that spider-like T-Shirt back in the day. I also have their best kit (1997, nabbed it on eBay after they folded) and their 98-99 jerseys.

Sweet. I have the jersey worn by keeper Aiden Brown in the last ever game. It's a tight fitting, long sleeved, neon green monstrosity but it has a special place in my jersey closet.

Archived