2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

Can we all drop the insecure fan stuff now and limit this discussion to the logos and uniforms, please? I thought that was something we left on the other thread. You over there like one team, you on the other side like another team. Done.

The Senators' logo is perfect - it evokes the world of the nickname without having to be overly literal. Works great on a thematic level, and the new 3D rendering is outstanding.

That was a perfect response. Far too many people want design and logos to be exactly literal. I thought design was about evoking a theme and feeling. Who cares if it's not exactly literally correct?

So yes, can we please bury this argument somewhere? It's always the same people digging it up and then stomping on the grave some more.

I'd say the same argument works with the Canes' secondary logo with the triangle and the flag. Forget that it's not TWO flags. The logo looks great with one and it still evokes the idea.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we sure the 3D version is going to be the primary and go on the front of the jersey?

I love the new 2D version. It would make a great chest logo.

I also like how the Canadian trademark site calls the logo a man knight.

Go Ottawa Man Knights!!!!

Everyone loves a roundel.

The "Ottawa Senators" was removed beacuse all new teams must have a generic logo should they re-locate at a later date - hence if Hamilton had the Preds, or any other city

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! That is the silliest thing I've heard on here in a while.

And just to add some more fuel to the fire. If this "rule" is in place how on earth did Columbus get away with a 'CBJ' logo and now the Ohio state flag? Both of those just scream "generic".

This mysteriously appeared in the newspaper this morning:

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senators/200...416156-sun.html

At least the new uniforms are still a mystery!

I think it's also confirmation that Chris Stevenson trolls hfboards (or maybe even this board?)... :P

Actually, I met him a number of times when I worked part-time in the press box at Sens games a few years back (yeah, I got PAID to go to games :P). He's a really nice guy.

I'd say the same argument works with the Canes' secondary logo with the triangle and the flag. Forget that it's not TWO flags. The logo looks great with one and it still evokes the idea.

I hate to disagree, since you were kind enough to back me up, but there is a huge difference between the two.

The single flag has a separate and distinct meaning from the more correct two flags. That's the only reason I have a problem with it. Shame, because I really like that alt logo.

The "Ottawa Senators" was removed beacuse all new teams must have a generic logo should they re-locate at a later date - hence if Hamilton had the Preds, or any other city

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! That is the silliest thing I've heard on here in a while.

And just to add some more fuel to the fire. If this "rule" is in place how on earth did Columbus get away with a 'CBJ' logo and now the Ohio state flag? Both of those just scream "generic".

I heard the name was removed because of something to do with the large Francophone population in the area being upset with it. The "generic" thing is obviously either a joke, or he is severely misinformed.

Since the wings are going with a slight change they should use these numbers:

RedWings3.gif

But you already know what I think

Those are the numbers that the Wild should be using on their retro-throwback red alternates. If you're going to do an old-timey jersey, you should use some old-timey font. Damnit!

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I heard the name was removed because of something to do with the large Francophone population in the area being upset with it. The "generic" thing is obviously either a joke, or he is severely misinformed.

Yeah, I remember that. The francophone community was not too impressed that it only said Ottawa Senators and not "Senateurs d'Ottawa" on the jersey. To this day, many francophone fans still cheer for the Habs because they feel the Sens are "une equipe d'anglais". (a englishman's team)

I must say that the Stanley Cup run last year did alot for the Sens' popularity, with both french & english fans.

I'm french-canadian & I've been a fan since the first game against the Habs in 1992. I, personally, was not offended that they only wrote Ottawa Senators on the jerseys. But I could see why they would change it for marketing purposes.

thecatch.jpg

the ottawa senators was taken out of the ring in the first place because it wasnt bilingual.... in french its senateurs d'ottawa...

The Anaheim Ducks have a problem then...

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

the ottawa senators was taken out of the ring in the first place because it wasnt bilingual.... in french its senateurs d'ottawa...

The Anaheim Ducks have a problem then...

What about the Tampa Bay Lightning that came in the league the same season as ottawa?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

30.gif

28.gif

1736.gif

Yeah, I'm sorta doubting the "generic logo" theory.

Sorta? The guy who mentioned the francophone reason was right on the money. Had nothing to do with ease of franchise moves (not like a logo would impede anything like that anyway)

I know. My two posts were meant to completely annihilate his theory about franchise moving, and then follow it up with an understated doubting sentence. I try not to be the guy who does the "IN YO FACE, BIZNATCH!!!!! PWN3D!!!!!" thing. I hate that guy. :D

In terms of why the Senators logo was changed to remove the name and city. I think when you shrink that logo down to a certain size it makes it really hard to read. You have to do this on a design to design basis - but even that current remake without the laurels in would seems like a little blob when shrunk down - it is almost too much detail. Keep it simple!

I like this new era of putting a new spin on old logos. Updating logos keep a sense of tradition alive and also the identity of a team intact. It is very hard to rebrand any kind of company - all sports teams who's logos are good examples of design should continually upgrade their iconic designs.

No, it was changed because for the Senators, everything must be bilingual (in french & in english). Got to www.ottawasenators.com if you don't believe me, you will find a webpage in both of Canada's official languages. It was deemed a better idea to simply put the laurels on the logo, rather than having an english only logo. It has nothing to do with design & aesthetics or the team being ready for relocation.

thecatch.jpg

No, it was changed because for the Senators, everything must be bilingual (in french & in english). Got to www.ottawasenators.com if you don't believe me, you will find a webpage in both of Canada's official languages. It was deemed a better idea to simply put the laurels on the logo, rather than having an english only logo. It has nothing to do with design & aesthetics or the team being ready for relocation.

And seriously, pretty much every team I can think of right now has modified the logo post-move anyway (those that kept the same team name anyway). What would be the purpose of such a "rule"?

In fact, the only teams I can think of that even kept their team name post-move were Calgary (for reasons passing understanding) and Dallas (although modified from "North Stars").

Archived