"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

And Florida joins the list of teams that looked ahead to next week and were punished for doing so.

Sorry, not just you, but I hate when people say this. People never like to give credit to the team that played better. I guess looking ahead can let the other team get off to a fast start, but if they are much better than the team they are playing, they should have no problem coming back. I am not a fan of either of those teams, but Auburn played better throughout the game, and deserved to win. This applies to everyone. For another example, I am a Michigan fan, and Michigan DID NOT lose to App State because they were looking ahead. If that was the reason, once App State had a lead, Michigan would have known to take the team seriously, and came back and won easily. That was not the case, App State played better throughout the whole game, and deserved their win, and deserve their credit for the win.

Yours is a special case. Oklahoma first let Colorado in late, and then gave up the win. If Texas was at all focused on the here and now, they wouldn't have let a team that upset them last year do the same thing again. I don't think it registered with Florida that Auburn could beat them until fairly late in the game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Coaches/Sports Directors Poll has been released:

1. USC (45)

2. LSU (14)

3. California

4. Ohio State (1)

5. Wisconsin

6. Boston College

7. Florida

8. Kentucky

9. South Florida

10. Oklahoma

11. Georgia

12. West Virginia

13. Oregon

14. Virginia Tech

15. Hawaii

16. Texas

17. Missouri

18. South Carolina

19. Arizona State

20. Purdue

21. Rutgers

22. Clemson

23. Nebraska

24. Cincinnati

25. UCLA

And meanwhile, the Connecticut Huskies are now 5-0. :woot: With all this movement, the Huskies just might crack the Top 25.

Gotta love them cupcakes.

Exactly, good luck the rest of the way. :D

------------------

AP Poll (as of 9/30/07)

1. LSU (33) 5-0 1,593

2. USC (32) 4-0 1,591

3. California 5-0 1,475

4. Ohio State 5-0 1,420

5. Wisconsin 5-0 1,271

6. South Florida 4-0 1,203

7. Boston College 5-0 1,172

8. Kentucky 5-0 1,143

9. Florida 4-1 1,031

10. Oklahoma 4-1 992

11. South Carolina 4-1 900

12. Georgia 4-1 885

13. West Virginia 4-1 861

14. Oregon 4-1 837

15. Virginia Tech 4-1 639

16. Hawaii 5-0 586

17. Missouri 4-0 561

18. Arizona State 5-0 497

19. Texas 4-1 449

20. Cincinnati 5-0 377

21. Rutgers 3-1 299

22. Clemson 4-1 265

23. Purdue 5-0 218

24. Kansas State 3-1 214

25. Nebraska 4-1 198

My Top 15 after "Upset" Saturday:

1.USC

2.LSU

3.Cal

4.Wisconsin

5.Ohio State

6.BC

7.Florida

8.Oklahoma

9.South Florida

10.Kentucky

11.Oregon

12.WVU

13.Texas

14.Rutgers

15.Hawai'i

It's a good thing you don't actually get a vote, because your rankings don't make much sense. How come Florida, Oklahoma, Rutgers, and Texas didn't drop farther than 5-6 spots when they lose to unranked teams? Why doesn't Oregon drop at all after they lose at home by a touchdown? And why does Hawaii jump over Georgia and South Carolina, despite these two having convincing wins?

And why wouldn't ASU be at least knocking on the door of the top 15 when they are 5-0 with all very convincing wins?

Maybe he has them at least knocking on the door...maybe #16. :)

I think this points to the effectiveness of reduced scholarships. The gap between Have and Have Not is shrinking. Ten years from nwo, a season like this will just be another season. That said, what a wild day. Speaking of my own conference, the entire Big Ten seems so bunched up. Indiana and Illinois look much improved. South Florida is a BCS contender as of now. I don't think I've ever seen such a top ten shakeup in one day (OK, weekend) of college football. And now Wisconsin's gonna be about #5. And I tell you, I doubt too many teams have a worse defense. Take a look at the big plays MSU had today. Look for Illinois to beat them next week.

Let that sink in for a minute... a directional school (from a state that doesn't have a direction) is in the Top 10.

It's a great time to be a fan of college sports.

Southern California?

Wow. USF as number six is pretty freaking incredible.

And if I can take solace in anything, it's that every team the UW Huskies has lost to are currently ranked in the coach's poll.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Who voted Ohio State #1? :huh:

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Who voted Ohio State #1? :huh:

Does Joe Tiller (Purdue's coach) have a vote?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1. LSU (33) 5-0 1,593

2. USC (32) 4-0 1,591

3. California 5-0 1,475

4. Ohio State 5-0 1,420

5. Wisconsin 5-0 1,271

6. South Florida 4-0 1,203

7. Boston College 5-0 1,172

8. Kentucky 5-0 1,143

9. Florida 4-1 1,031

10. Oklahoma 4-1 992

Except for OSU being in the top 10 compared to everybody else in the 10 playing a respectable schedule, wow. Would've never guessed that BC, Kentucky, and South Florida would be among the Top 10 teams of 1-A college football.

From #18 to #6? That's a little much, me thinks. I'm glad to see them up there twelve spots is a huge jump.

I'm a Big East backer, but I agree. Had not every other top ten team lost, I doubt they would have made it that high. But when they have a perfect record and beat the no. 5 team and the team that beat the no. 3 team, it's pretty justifiable.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Whoa, Nelly. (Boy, I feel cheap for that)

UK, USF, and BC in the top ten? Above Florida and Oklahoma?

Never knew the NCAA had such a parity "problem". I, for one though, absolutely love it. With their schedule left, teams like the Bull or the Wildcats have a very decent shot at the BCS. Heh, Kentucky (being in the SEC) has a legit shot at a NATIONAL TITLE if they keep rolling.

:shocked:

What's next, George Mason crackin' the top 25?

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Well, you know I-AA teams can now recieve votes... ^_^

EDIT: Although a quick check reveals they don't have a football team.

Today, we are all otaku.

Whoa, Nelly. (Boy, I feel cheap for that)

UK, USF, and BC in the top ten? Above Florida and Oklahoma?

Never knew the NCAA had such a parity "problem". I, for one though, absolutely love it. With their schedule left, teams like the Bull or the Wildcats have a very decent shot at the BCS. Heh, Kentucky (being in the SEC) has a legit shot at a NATIONAL TITLE if they keep rolling.

:shocked:

Folks that follow the SEC aren't too suprised with Kentucky's showing this season. They've had this explosive offense for two seasons now, the defense is a little better, and now they're getting all their scholarships back from the Mumme Regime. Their QB Woodson was the consensus pick for the All-SEC in the preseason polls.

We'll see just how far along their defense is with their next three opponents: @ South Carolina, then home to LSU and Florida.

From #18 to #6? That's a little much, me thinks. I'm glad to see them up there but twelve spots is a huge jump.

I'm a Big East backer, but I agree. Had not every other top ten team lost, I doubt they would have made it that high. But when they have a perfect record and beat the no. 5 team and the team that beat the no. 3 team, it's pretty justifiable.

You're right. And it couldn't possibly have worked out any better for them. Beat the #5 team the same week that all these teams ahead of them lose? That's perfect for them. But even with all the losses I'd have said 9 or 10 and I thought that'd have been a stretch. I'm glad to see it, though, they're the Florida team I've found myself cheering for the most since I moved down here about two months ago. Huge jump but upon further review, it probably was justified.

IUe6Hvh.png

If Texas was at all focused on the here and now, they wouldn't have let a team that upset them last year do the same thing again.

Okay, this is just bullcrap. First of all, Texas hasn't played well all year around, it isn't a matter of them not being focused for that one game. I know a Texas fan who wouldn't have taken me up on an avatar bet because he's been that unimpressed with Texas. Second, Kansas State has had a solid football team since 1990; there have even been years when the team was great. I fail to see why people can't concede that K-State just stomped on Texas and would have done it even if Texas had all the time in the world to prepare. Look back to when Carson Palmer was at USC, two years in a row K-State smacked them down. Look at the massive beatdown K-State put on a great OU team a few years back. It happens every damned year and every year people are surprised. It's time for people to wake the hell up and stop being surprised.

cttdolphins2.png

If Texas was at all focused on the here and now, they wouldn't have let a team that upset them last year do the same thing again.

Okay, this is just bullcrap. First of all, Texas hasn't played well all year around, it isn't a matter of them not being focused for that one game. I know a Texas fan who wouldn't have taken me up on an avatar bet because he's been that unimpressed with Texas. Second, Kansas State has had a solid football team since 1990; there have even been years when the team was great. I fail to see why people can't concede that K-State just stomped on Texas and would have done it even if Texas had all the time in the world to prepare. Look back to when Carson Palmer was at USC, two years in a row K-State smacked them down. Look at the massive beatdown K-State put on a great OU team a few years back. It happens every damned year and every year people are surprised. It's time for people to wake the hell up and stop being surprised.

People are down on them because they've had a few bad years recently, and the coach who was responsible for that upswing has retired since then. In addition, Texas is the better team on paper, and should theoretically have a reason to take horrible revenge on the team that put them into a swoon last season. Couple that with a Big Twelve North that is usually beaten down by the South, and then you get some of the shock and awe. That, and I'm trying to delude myself into thinking that Missouri is the only threat to Nebraska in the division this year. Although yes, the signs should have been there when Texas has struggled all year.

And anyway, you can't respect a team

:P
Today, we are all otaku.

By and large half the team is still Snyder's. Yeah, they didn't have a great year last year, but that's because Kansas State has shaken the habit of heavily padding their season with soft teams, so naturally the first year with a first time head coach is going to be a so-so experience. Couple in the fact that the Big 12 is a lot like the AFC East, where a division game is up in the air now matter how good or bad the teams are that are playing. And the noted annual big team beatdown. K-State victimizing somebody was a giving going into this schedule, it just so happens that the team screaming "police!" is Texas.

cttdolphins2.png

Fact of the day:

3 of the teams in this week's AP top ten weren't ranked at the beginning of the season, and they've only played five weeks.

Say what you want about the BCS, but teams have the ability to go from low in the rankings (or not in the rankings at all) up to the top during the course of the season.

Archived