Top 10 Worst Names in Sports

VC//

Stanford used to be the Indians right? Its kinda sad they decided to just go with the color when changing.

I think it makes perfect sense. Nicknaming themselves after a color goes right along with the Stanford's wannabe Ivy League status...

I thought this would be for players.

Then the #1 spot would go to Wang Dong (Chinese soccer player).

As did I...

Although I'd have to nominate former NBA player, Frank Brickowski... never good when you're a hooper with "Brick" in your name...

I went to the Olympics in 2000 and had a bit of a laugh when this guy was playing for Italy in the basketball.

381659.jpg

Gregor

First name Gregor. Second name won't get through the swear filter, so I won't bother.

One of the broadcasters almost went to air with a practical joke that amongst the team they called him 'Mudda'.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washington is the whitest? city in America? Really? Look past Capitol Hill. . . . The worst name in sports has to be the Los Angeles Lakers. How many lakes or lakers are there in Southern California? They couldn't think of a better name in a place where most of the world's movies are made. Use some imagination and stop using the legacy of the Mpls. Lakers.

L'etoile du nord

Indiana University of Pennsylvania Crimson Hawks.

WTF?

They've changed again? They were the Indians, then the grizzlies or bears or whatever. Now the Crimson Hawks?

Nah, they never adopted anything bear-like officially, though some team logos inexplicably incorporated a bear into their designs. Although I do wonder if the rugby team is still referred to as the "Tooters."

nav-logo.png

I totally agree with the sentiment about the Redskins having a horrible, racist name. It is horrible that in the 21st century a team is still named the Native American equivalent of the "N word". Anyway here is my list.

10) Red Bull of New York...Metrostars was bad enough, but to have a name that is for a product that taste like watered down battery acid is even worse.

9) Boston Celtics...not the name, but how it is pronounced, the name of the ethic group is pronounced "Keltic".

8) Hofstra Pride........goofy, goofy goofy. They used to be the Dutchmen, this had character and showed the history of New York. The Pride is stupid...I live on Long Island and I wince when I hear "The Pride play Penn today". It actually makes my alma mater's choice of Stony Brook Seawolves look halfway decent....(actually Blech! but you have to stick with the school)

7) New York Yankees.....A Yankee is from New England.

6) Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim at Santa Ana Not That Close to San Diego...etc........I don't like team names that take up a paragraph.

5) Toronto Raptors....I study archaeology, Jurassic Park sucked (archaeologists don't dig dinos)...go back to Huskies. Stop trying to cash in on a mediocre movie and dull book.

4) Houston Texans..I know there is tradition...but IN DALLAS...Also, we know Houston is in Texas. Would be like a team from the Bronx calling themselves the New York New Yorkers.......WE GET IT...Don't mess with Texas...maybe if you got a better team.

3) Pittsburgh Penguins.....I saw March of the Penguins....not exactly a kind of creature that comes to mind when you think Syd Crosby or Mario......Pittsburgh Psychos...there is a name to fear!

2) Philadelphia Phillies......Two things come to mind...1) Blunt Wraps.....2) a female horse (filly)...I know it is supposed to be about people from Philadelphia. *see "Houston Texans".

1) Washington Racial Slurs......Also Atlanta Braves and Cleveland Indians (nice cartoon logo guys....have 7th inning minstrel shows too?)

brock-2.jpg

By the way,does anyone remember what the Stanford college nickname used to be?

Indians.... :oops: I guess the Sun doesn't like the Harvard Crimson, Cornell Big Red and Dartmouth Big Green.

Or even worse, my high school's Penn Hills "Big Red" Indians. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh....php?team_id=16

1477000977_l1.jpg

(defending WPIAL runner-ups baby! [definately wouldve gone state if we had won])

(and yes, we also stole the tomahawk chop)

Ugh, Penn Hills. Woodland Hills is so much better... :P I actually designed the new Wolvarena field!

There was a town in North Dakota -- Tower City -- whose high school team name was the Clams. That name died when the Tower City merged with neighboring Buffalo and became the Maple Valley Raiders.

Another high school in North Dakota was called the Wahpeton Wops. They changed it (to Huskies) partly because it was offensive to Italians but mostly because it was just plain silly.

Clams and Wops. Say what you want about them, but they weren't the overused nicknames like Tigers, Eagles or Cardinals.

7) New York Yankees.....A Yankee is from New England.

Wow, I couldn't resist looking that up--and he's correct for the most part. New England is specified in the primary definition in more than one source, although the word has since become a synonym for "Northerner" or "American".

In other countries Yanks, and formerly Yankees, are any Americans.

Even someone from the deep south would be regarded as a Yank, Down Here or in the UK.

To me the name means the same as Canadiens or Canucks do for the Canadian teams. People from a whole country, not a particular region of that country.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

By the way,does anyone remember what the Stanford college nickname used to be?

Indians.... :oops: I guess the Sun doesn't like the Harvard Crimson, Cornell Big Red and Dartmouth Big Green.

Or even worse, my high school's Penn Hills "Big Red" Indians. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh....php?team_id=16

1477000977_l1.jpg

(defending WPIAL runner-ups baby! [definately wouldve gone state if we had won])

(and yes, we also stole the tomahawk chop)

Ugh, Penn Hills. Woodland Hills is so much better... :P I actually designed the new Wolvarena field!

I'll ignore your allegiance to Woody because your sig honors one of the features of the Mellon Arena that the new arena MUST keep. :P

oBIgzrL.png

The guy who wrote this doesn't know much about sports. Redskins, Texans, Celtics...are all good names.

Nobody with half a brain can defend "Redskins". End of story.

It's referring to fair-skinned people who forget sun block, correct?

Archived