Top 10 Worst Names in Sports

VC//

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indiana University of Pennsylvania Crimson Hawks.

WTF?

Don't get me started on that one. I actually think that Mighty Oaks or Fighting Squirrels would have been better choices.

I'm surprised the NCAA didn't stop at making them drop the Indians. I thought they would have made them change the name of the town too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Indiana University of Pennsylvania Crimson Hawks.

WTF?

Don't get me started on that one. I actually think that Mighty Oaks or Fighting Squirrels would have been better choices.

I'm surprised the NCAA didn't stop at making them drop the Indians. I thought they would have made them change the name of the town too.

Well, that at least would've been an improvement. When I lived there I hated trying to explain it to people unfamiliar with the area.

The high school team (and my alma mater), meanwhile, remains the Indians. I guess all the nicknames that evoke kids who think their :censored: doesn't stink compared to everyone else in the area were taken.

nav-logo.png

By the way,does anyone remember what the Stanford college nickname used to be?

Indians.....

Wasn't there a time when they went by Cardinals (with the "s" at the end)?

Yes.

Now, where do I pick up my "Shortest Post of the Day" award?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

By the way,does anyone remember what the Stanford college nickname used to be?

Indians.....

Wasn't there a time when they went by Cardinals (with the "s" at the end)?

Yes.

Since, you added "Now, where do I pick up my "Shortest Post of the Day" award?" to your post, then it no longer qualifies for the "Shortest Post of the Day" award....

I saw, I came, I left.

Wow, I think Leafs, Redskins are two of the best names in all of sports. I disagree big time with whoever wrote this.

I'm the least politically correct person I know and even I find 'Redskins' to be somewhat over the line of acceptability. No matter how you cut it it is, in fact, a racial slur. But then, is there any love for the Fightin' Whities?

Yes.

Since, you added "Now, where do I pick up my "Shortest Post of the Day" award?" to your post, then it no longer qualifies for the "Shortest Post of the Day" award....

:cursing:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

But then, is there any love for the Fightin' Whities?

I had no idea my underwear had any fight in it.... :oops:

Nine years of use takes quite a toll. Think back to how resilient it was back in 1998.

As a guy that is a real Indian (born in Canada, family is from INDIA)...i'm no longer offended by the idiocy that is naming aboriginals/natives/(enter tribe), naming the teams Indians with an aboriginal/native..etc logo anymore. I just ignore it like the idiot at a restaurant that laughs too loud.

Why would you have been personally offended in the first place?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Yes.

And in between the Indians and Cardinal(-s) era, they were known as the Thunderchickens.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Penn Hills... ewwwwwwww. Just kidding, I was a Central Catholic Viking back in the day.... the late 90s. Lot of good games between those two schools.

At least someone on this board understands that. :D

was at the semifinal game this past year when we beat you guys. Lost my voice for the whole weekend afterwards. Happens when you beat the Notre Dame of the greater Pittsburgh area in the playoffs, I guess.

oBIgzrL.png

Their criticism of the tigers nickmane might have been in jest, but it was also on point. But he left out the other heavily used college nickname: Bulldogs. I think 42 other schools have that nickname in just D-1A and D-1AA.

Yes.

Hey! Now you have won the award. Go to Sectort 7-G to pick it up.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yes.

:boogie:

Yes.

I saw, I came, I left.

Yes.

Are a comma or a single quotation mark smaller than a period? This may be relevant to future awards.

Archived