Top 10 Worst Names in Sports

VC//

Top 10 worst team names

... because marketing departments like a challenge

By SUN MEDIA

Some of the worst sports team names include the Redskins (left), Maple Leafs (top), Tigers (bottom right) and Suns (middle). (Sun Media files)

Lame Names Gallery

What's the worst team name?

It's no coincidence that the Anaheim Ducks weren't able to win the Stanley Cup until they dropped the "Mighty" from their name.

The hockey gods might be able to stand for Sun Belt teams winning each of the last three Cups, but they couldn't possibly let hockey's greatest prize go to a team named after a Disney movie. Which is why the Nashville Predators won't become the Kitchener-Waterloo Little Mermaids any time soon.

But even though the Ducks no longer have the most cringe-worthy handle in sports, there's still no shortage of brutal team names out there.

10. Stanford Cardinal

Nothing against Stanford ... they're just the most prominent team with the annoying "singular" nickname. Whether it's the USFL, the XFL or the WNBA, you know a league sucks if it has several teams without an "s" at the end of their names. Yet another reason to hate the Utah Jazz (see below).

9. Phoenix Suns

It must have been very cloudy, or the middle of the night, when they came up with this one. Because otherwise, a quick look out the window would have confirmed the fact that, yep, there's only one sun. The exception to the plural-names rule.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs

Don't cheer for the Leafs, kids -- it's bad for your grammar. Last time we checked, the plural of "leaf" was "leaves." But like Tie Domi always said, "We ain't real big on book learnin'. "

7. University of Alberta Pandas

Nothing against the U of A, but in this age of supposed gender equality, why do some universities give their female sports teams a different name than the male ones? Is a panda somehow more feminine than a golden bear? We say no -- they're both godless killing machines.

Actually, Stephen Colbert said that, but we agree wholeheartedly.

6. LSU Tigers, et al

Any U.S. college that calls its sports teams the Tigers gets an F for originality. The NCAA has a whopping 45 schools playing under that name. The same goes for Eagles (51), Wildcats (32) and Cougars (30).

Bo-ring. We'll take the University of California-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs instead.

5. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Coming soon: the Milwaukee Packers of Green Bay, the Ottawa Senators of Kanata, the New York Islanders of Uniondale and the Carolina Hurricanes of Who Gives a Rat's Ass.

4. Utah Jazz

When the team was in New Orleans, this name made sense, but when they moved to the whitest city in America, it was time to change. Even worse, the city of Salt Lake decided to compound this blunder by naming their other pro teams -- the Starzz, the Buzz, the Freezz and the Grizzlies -- in similar fashion. Call us crazzy, but "Zz" doesn't seem like the best way to brand your city. Then again, most of them aren't allowed to drink coffee.

3. Houston Texans

The laziest team nickname since the Shelbyville Shelbyvillians on The Simpsons. If they had spent an extra 30 seconds thinking about it, they might've come up with something better ... like Tigers.

2. Butte Pirates

It must have been a far simpler time when the people of Butte County, Idaho, decided to name their high school sports teams the Pirates. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

1. Washington Redskins

Unlike the Cleveland Indians or Atlanta Braves, for instance, there's no way you can explain away this nickname as a tribute to First Nations people. It's nothing but a flat-out racial slur. Completely indefensible.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Washington Redskins

Unlike the Cleveland Indians or Atlanta Braves, for instance, there's no way you can explain away this nickname as a tribute to First Nations people. It's nothing but a flat-out racial slur. Completely indefensible.

...this name made sense, but when they moved to the whitest city in America...

Nice to see they're consistent.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

1. Washington Redskins

... meh, it's Sun Media.... it's not like they have much credibility anyways.... :oops:

I saw, I came, I left.

By the way,does anyone remember what the Stanford college nickname used to be?

Indians.... :oops: I guess the Sun doesn't like the Harvard Crimson, Cornell Big Red and Dartmouth Big Green.

Or even worse, my high school's Penn Hills "Big Red" Indians. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh....php?team_id=16

1477000977_l1.jpg

(defending WPIAL runner-ups baby! [definately wouldve gone state if we had won])

(and yes, we also stole the tomahawk chop)

oBIgzrL.png

Penn Hills... ewwwwwwww. Just kidding, I was a Central Catholic Viking back in the day.... the late 90s. Lot of good games between those two schools.

Anyway back on topic. This list is pretty bad, but I do agree that Redskins is a racist name from a bygone era. Insert any other color than Red, say Black or Yellow, and it wouldn't be excepted by 95% of the people in this country. However, I'm also not going to be one of those people demanding change, its a sports mascot, in the grand scheme of things it means very little.

Penn Hills... ewwwwwwww. Just kidding, I was a Central Catholic Viking back in the day.... the late 90s. Lot of good games between those two schools.

Anyway back on topic. This list is pretty bad, but I do agree that Redskins is a racist name from a bygone era. Insert any other color than Red, say Black or Yellow, and it wouldn't be excepted by 95% of the people in this country. However, I'm also not going to be one of those people demanding change, its a sports mascot, in the grand scheme of things it means very little.

I think you mean "accepted" ;) Otherwise, you are getting a completely opposite meaning across here ;)

2. Butte Pirates

It must have been a far simpler time when the people of Butte County, Idaho, decided to name their high school sports teams the Pirates. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

HAHAHAHA that is so awesome

my school plays a team called the marauders and since a marauder is basically a pirate we call them the buttpirates

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

As a guy that is a real Indian (born in Canada, family is from INDIA)...i'm no longer offended by the idiocy that is naming aboriginals/natives/(enter tribe), naming the teams Indians with an aboriginal/native..etc logo anymore. I just ignore it like the idiot at a restaurant that laughs too loud.

This was an article in jest...it was fun to see how many people splooged over trying to defend team names.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Stanford used to be the Indians right? Its kinda sad they decided to just go with the color when changing.

Eastern Washington used to be the savages but went with the totally original Eagles when they re-named.

I think this could be a thread, names of teams that have switched from native american imagery.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

I think you mean "accepted" ;) Otherwise, you are getting a completely opposite meaning across here ;)

See, I have to stop posting after being up for 20 hours, start making silly mistakes like that. I feel shame. :cry:

1. Washington Redskins

I really hope you're not implying that stating the factual demographics of Salt Lake City is somehow as offensive to white people (or offensive, period) as Redskins is to Native Americans.

Stanford used to be the Indians right? Its kinda sad they decided to just go with the color when changing.

I think it makes perfect sense. Nicknaming themselves after a color goes right along with the Stanford's wannabe Ivy League status...

I thought this would be for players.

Then the #1 spot would go to Wang Dong (Chinese soccer player).

As did I...

Although I'd have to nominate former NBA player, Frank Brickowski... never good when you're a hooper with "Brick" in your name...

Archived