2008 MLB Premier Jackets

Royals Insider

Are those a flannel like material? similar to a letterman's coat? They almost look like that but its so hard to tell from web images...

If so, very nice. I'd actually sport one of those if its made of that.

The only problem I've had with the Satin ones is...they just don't look that classy when worn out and about, and same goes with the, for lack of a better term, plastic ones of recent years. Are the satin ones "baseball"? Hell yes. They just don't look all that sharp to me when they are worn by Joe Fan. Just personal opinion.

Disagree completely. There's something iconic about a classic satin baseball jacket, it transcends any MLB team.

To me, what doesn't look classy is Joe Fan wearing the latest Majestic travesty-of-the-year that looks dated a few month after purchase - and these new duds certainly qualify...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we can guess with some certainty that these are another space-age synthetic material, neither flannel nor letterman wool.

Wool! That's the term I was looking for. I racked my brain for like 5 minutes and all I could think of was flannel.

Most likely you are right, they just have a nice textured look to them.

P0121620.jpg

Wait, are the Yankees seriously ditching the satin jackets for The Stadium's final season? That's a travesty.

I doubt it. Every time they come out with a new model they always make and sell Yankees ones in the new template but the team still uses the satin jackets. I'd bet this will be no different. BTW, here's the Mets one.

P0121619.jpg

Even less blue than before unfortunately.

mets.png

P0121620.jpg

Wait, are the Yankees seriously ditching the satin jackets for The Stadium's final season? That's a travesty.

I doubt it. Every time they come out with a new model they always make and sell Yankees ones in the new template but the team still uses the satin jackets. I'd bet this will be no different. BTW, here's the Mets one.

P0121619.jpg

Well, the Yanks news is a relief. However, the Mets may soon need to change their name to the New York Emos.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

P0121620.jpg

P0121619.jpg

Well, the Yanks news is a relief. However, the Mets may soon need to change their name to the New York Emos.

Good one. That is very funny. I don't think emo people usually like sports though. Correct me if I am stereotyping, though. I am sorry if I have offended any emos on these forums.

P0121620.jpg

P0121619.jpg

Good one. That is very funny. I don't think emo people usually like sports though. Correct me if I am stereotyping, though. I am sorry if I have offended any emos on these forums.

emu-2.jpg

offended.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

P0121620.jpg

P0121619.jpg

emu-2.jpg

offended.

elmo.jpg

ditto.

I saw, I came, I left.

These look heaps better than what they're replacing. And I'll take a matte fabric like this over satin any day, all else being equal. Those old satin jackets looked fine and worked great -- as long as they were worn by ballplayers in a dugout in a televised game. In all other uses, they were pretty terrible. Not particularly good jackets -- at least if you expect your jacket to stop wind and/or rain -- and not very practical. Too puffy, shows dirt too well, easily torn.

Of course, "all else being equal" is the rub, since the post-satin jackets have mainly been rococo messes of gaudy, templated ornamentation. By comparison, the satin jackets, no matter how useless they were as practical jackets for non-players, were lessons in the power of simple design to make a strong statement.

Anyway, I have a question. On this jacket, it looks like the arm stripe may connect under the arm to the side panel:

P0121604.jpg

Whereas the arm stripes on other jackets, such as this one:

P0121620.jpg

Appear to stand on their own.

Does anyone know what these things look like if you raise the arm? Is there a thin stripe connecting the arm stripe to the side panel?

If not, then I'll call these the best warm-up jackets since the old satin jackets were retired. But if there's some kind of pointless under-the-arm stripe, then these will be little more than slight improvements on the hyperornamented jackets they're replacing.

20082614447.png

I think that you're seeing side panels there. Some teams, like the Yankees, seem to have those side panels in the main body color (as the Red Sox have the side panels and the sleeve panels in their main body color).

I hope you're right, but if you look at the Braves sleeve, the stripe on the right sleeve (left side of the pic) seems to be flat on the bottom all the way around but to curve up on the top on the inside of the sleeve. It looks very much like the stripe on the sleeve has some sort of unseen feature rather than being a simple uniform-thickness stripe around the sleeve. This apparent sleeve-stripe detail is distinct from the strip of color created by the side panels.

20082614447.png

First jacket I've seen without a wordmark crossing the zipper (I was worried):

Won't let me post the image, but the Cubs jacket is here: Cubs store

Wasn't sure if this was answered already, but the material is mentioned in the description: "The jacket is made out therma base material which insulates while maintaining temperature control."

Still waiting on that Sunday alternate.... :D

I love that Giants wordmark, which they seem to use only on dugout jackets.

... Because they're not the Dodgers. So it's a good thing they only use it on the jackets. Good wordmark on its own, but it would be a disaster for the team to wear it onto the field in the NL West. Nice jacket for the Giants all around, though. Same for the Dodgers. And what are you complaining about with the Brewers? :P I'd easily put their jacket in the top rank of the 2008 models, alongside the Yankees, Dodgers, and Giants.

Big disappointment on the Twins. It's becoming almost impressive how the team keeps finding new ways to muddle their visual identity. Enough with the drop-shadow "Twins" script, please. Nationals, unremarkable. It's not terrible, but it makes them about the only team for whom I think the new jackets are a step down from the gaudy old ones.

The Padres are also big winners here, especially when compared to their current jackets.

I think a number of these jackets, starting with the Nationals, could have been significantly improved just by substituting a cap-logo emblem on the left breast for the script, more like a traditional letterman's jacket.

20082614447.png

Archived