Name the Team

Mac the Knife

The amateur sports organization I serve as Executive Director of is making preliminary plans to launch another men's softball team for 2008. We likely have the players, but need a name for the team and I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas in this area.

Historically we've used prefix names (Carolina, Raleigh, Capital City, etc.) and intend to do so with this team, so something along the lines of our current and former teams (Carolina Colts, Raleigh Red Devils, Capital City Chargers, Raleigh Ravens, etc.) would be best. Our board has been leaning toward "Raleigh Robins" with a Baltimore Oriole-like color scheme, but frankly I think we can do better.

Anyway, if you have any ideas, post them here. If we wind up using one of those that are posted here, I'll send whoever posts it a team uniform shirt as a token of appreciation once we have them made up next spring.

nav-logo.png

Raleigh Wolves (for reasons that are probably obvious)

Raleigh Monkeys (I know someone suggested that in one of your other threads, but I'm tossing it out there again)

Capital City Goofballs (I'm sure a lot of you will get that one -- and that it will get shot down)

Raleigh Flyers ("First in Flight" and all that)

Carolina Flyers (Ditto)

Carolina Pilots (Ditto)

Chapel Hill Rams (or is that a BIG no-no in Raleigh?)

Carolina Pines (or is that more the other end of the state?)

Raleigh Capitals (for more reasons that are probably obvious)

There, that should do it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more and post them if I do.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Carolina Cals? Carolina Cars? Carolina Dixie Sox?

Better I must stop taking my medicinal prescription against muscle pains... I didn't know that my brain was a muscle. :D

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

* Raleigh Caps - I could see the logo for this name being very "old school" in style. It would be a 3/4 view depiction of a baseball cap, the crown of which would be rendered to look like the dome atop the North Carolina State Capitol building. An interlocking "RC" device would be positioned on the front of the "cap".

* Raleigh Oaks

* Triangle Triplets

Keep 'em coming, guys!

Just a few comments on the ones above... unfortunately some I have to shoot down just as a matter of avoiding legal entanglements with past/current local teams: Carolina Cobras, Raleigh Flyers, and Raleigh Capitals all either are or have recently been in use by local sports teams... as has "Raleigh Fingers," before anyone chips in with that little gem.

Carolina Pines, strangely, is the name of one of the parks we play at... it'd be cute, but probably would seem weird to our players after a while. Who do you play for? "I'm a Pine!"

Dixie Sox? Unusual. Colorful.

Raleigh Oaks? I can see it.

Raleigh Monkeys? Another one that goes with Carolina Pines. Cute for a while, then... meh.

Raptors and Critters I can shoot down. There weren't many raptors in the area to my knowledge, and critters conjures up images of the Beverly Hillbillies, which isn't quite what we're trying to project. :)

nav-logo.png

Raleigh Burgers.

There you go. You'd even have someone to pay for your uniforms. (Or is it Checkers there?)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Raleigh Reb Sox (Combining the "rebel" theme with a nod to one of baseball's most traditional naming conventions.)

It's a home run!!! B)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived