J-E-T-S, TITANS! TITANS! TITANS!

reppact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually would prefer their 1961 gold helmets over the navy, but still a good look.

Too bad the original helmets didn't have decals or jersey numbers, because it looks real bare to me. Navy, Gold and a hint of white are a can't lose combo IMO. Hopefully thats also the case on the field for the Jets.

True enough.

Setting aside current manufacturing limits, however, those are beautiful. Hope they win, and win big.

I've never quite understood the idea of "current manufacturing limits". If NHL teams can work within the constraints of the Reebok templates and keep traditional looks, a football team can adapt to "current manufacturing limits" and produce uniforms that include actual shoulder loops instead of epaulets. That's right -- I'm looking at all of you, especially Peyton and the Colts.

BACK ON TOPIC -- These are nice looking, with the exception of the aforementioned problem with the shoulder loops. I love the old school block font, which reminds me of old photos of the BALTIMORE Colts.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Lets also not forget that many of these design elements that we all hold so close to our hearts are specific to certain seams and specific cuts of the fabric and jersey. Lets also face the fact that uniform design has changed for the better when it comes to materials and performance. As a result the design elements have changed accordingly.

One example, is the helmet stripes. Earlier helmets had a raised area to accomodate the single or multiple stripes. Modern helmets, which are far better for the safety of the player have all sorts of irregular raised areas. Not very conducive for a straight stripe or two. How long before we see a team design helmet stripes and designs for the new Revolution or Schutt helmet? It could happen. Maybe its happened already, wasn't the Panther helmet stripes designed for a new age helmet? What about the Raven's and Titans helmet stripes?

One example, is the helmet stripes. Earlier helmets had a raised area to accomodate the single or multiple stripes. Modern helmets, which are far better for the safety of the player have all sorts of irregular raised areas. Not very conducive for a straight stripe or two. How long before we see a team design helmet stripes and designs for the new Revolution or Schutt helmet? It could happen. Maybe its happened already, wasn't the Panther helmet stripes designed for a new age helmet? What about the Raven's and Titans helmet stripes?

No, if you look at how those teams place their stripes on a Revolution or even a "regular" (i.e. not DNA or ION) Schutt helmet you can clearly see that even their "new age" stripes were designed to be centered around the raised center portion of the good old Riddell TK shell that has been around since the 1950s. The Ravens and Titans stripes are short so they seem to place them okay, but with the Panthers you can clearly see that the stripes are closer together at the nose bumper on the Schutt Air helmets and they have to wrap oddly over the shape of the Riddell Revolution shell. I don't think anyone on those teams is using a Schutt DNA helmet, so I don't know what they would do with that shell design.

No, if you look at how those teams place their stripes on a Revolution or even a "regular" (i.e. not DNA or ION) Schutt helmet you can clearly see that even their "new age" stripes were designed to be centered around the raised center portion of the good old Riddell TK shell that has been around since the 1950s. The Ravens and Titans stripes are short so they seem to place them okay, but with the Panthers you can clearly see that the stripes are closer together at the nose bumper on the Schutt Air helmets and they have to wrap oddly over the shape of the Riddell Revolution shell. I don't think anyone on those teams is using a Schutt DNA helmet, so I don't know what they would do with that shell design.

Along those lines, I'm waiting for the Seathawks to modify their wraparound for Schutt DNAs. The logo ends much farther back on the helmet on those DNAs.

It's where I sit.

I actually would prefer their 1961 gold helmets over the navy, but still a good look.

Too bad the original helmets didn't have decals or jersey numbers, because it looks real bare to me. Navy, Gold and a hint of white are a can't lose combo IMO. Hopefully thats also the case on the field for the Jets.

Do you have a photo of them wearing gold helmets? I've never seen anything other than the blue with this set. What kind of striping pattern did they use?

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Do you have a photo of them wearing gold helmets? I've never seen anything other than the blue with this set. What kind of striping pattern did they use?

Here's a gallery of old football cards, which show the logo on the bottom right with gold helmet:

http://footballcardgallery.com/team/New+York+Titans/page/2/

Here's a poster with the old gold helmet:

http://www.conigliofamily.com/TitansJets.htm

But sorry, no game photos :(

Did a quick search and didn't see a thread for this.

The Jets unveiled/showed off etc etc etc their NY Titans throwback unis.

77241637.jpg

Actually they are playing so poorly they want to disguise themselves from their fans

Why would they do that if they look a lot like the Rams? The Rams aren't doing much better. ^_^

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The only disappointing element is the half-shoulder stripes. It's absolutely ridiculous that they can't make a jersey with full shoulder stripes.

Amen to that.

Somewhere in heaven, Harry Wismer is smiling,

FsQiF2W.png

Here's a gallery of old football cards, which show the logo on the bottom right with gold helmet:

http://footballcardgallery.com/team/New+York+Titans/page/2/

Here's a poster with the old gold helmet:

http://www.conigliofamily.com/TitansJets.htm

But sorry, no game photos :(

Thanks for these links -- love the vintage football cards!

I have to agree with Gothamite's subsequent comment, though -- I'm not sure if the graphics are accurate indicators of what the team actually wore.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

If teams would just do like the Rams and Panthers (I think both teams still have this anyways), and move the shoulder stripes over so that they're actually at the top of the sleeve as much as on the shoulder, they could make them work.

In many cases they still wouldn't go ALL the way around simply because the sleeve no longer goes all the way around, but they would at least go all the way to the bottom of the jersey material.

Archived