Atlanta awarded a WNBA Franchise

nyk

Did the owners just sit around and think of a great way to waste their money?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

What should Atlanta's new WNBA team be nicknamed? Here is what some folks had to say on Tuesday's blog:

Matt: The Atlanta Empty-seaters, because that's what the arena will look like.

Mike N.: The Atlanta Wings, paying homage to the world's busiest airport.

anon: Anything will do fine as long as it doesn't relate to a bird: We don't have a ton of luck with names like Thrashers, Hawks, Falcons . . .

Doc Hollidawg: How about the Atlanta Peaches.

BuzzedinGwinnett: Name the team the Atlanta Foldintwoyears.

David: Something truly associated with the metro. The ATLANTA TRAFFIC JAM.

NASCARfan: The only name that makes any sense, and is ironic in its historical hilarity, is the Atlanta Blaze.

Wilson: In keeping with the rest of Atlanta sports, we should call the new team the Mediocrity.

Dee: The Dirty Birds!

Wealthy People Make Bad Decisions: The Chapter 11's.

JAR: The Atlanta Belles.

Ebenezer: The Atlanta Scarletts (oh, let's think about this tomorrow).

FALCON CREST: I thought Atlanta already had a professional women's basketball team ... the Atlanta Hawks.

CDS: You want a name, how about the Atlanta No-shows?

ATLFashionista: I like the Atlanta Heatwave or the Atlanta Sirens.

KC: How about the Atlanta U-hauls. Like U-haul us out of here after 1 year.

RJ: Lady Birds. I've been wanting Atlanta to get a WNBA team, so I'm happy to see it finally happen!

ryan: The tax write-offs.

Chick: We've got the Big Chicken. How about the Tall Chicks?

Some of these are okay, some are funny. Nothing that really stands out though.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Well... as long as they're doling out teams to cities where the points will outnumber the fans, send one to Milwaukee. Not because I'm that big of a women's hoops fan, but because some of the best sex I ever had was with a 6'5 former WNBA player <_<

I have to admit that Atlanta came as a shock to me. I surely would think Knoxville/Tennessee would be a much better option. Maybe their though is that Atlanta is close enough to Tennessee to possibly draw from them, while also drawing from a different market.

Over/Under on the WNBA in the ATL...3 years; what do you think?

Knoxville would be too small for a team unless it was made up entirely of former Lady Vols (in which case, it'd probably be the biggest draw in the league). But I always thought Nashville would be a perfect fit for the WNBA. Especially now since the Gaylord Center (or whatever its called now) is probably gonna be looking for a flagship tenant soon.

Knoxville would be too small for a team unless it was made up entirely of former Lady Vols (in which case, it'd probably be the biggest draw in the league). But I always thought Nashville would be a perfect fit for the WNBA. Especially now since the Gaylord Center (or whatever its called now) is probably gonna be looking for a flagship tenant soon.

And Uncasville, Connecticut is a booming metropolis?

philly.png

All of Connecticut is part of the Boston, Hartford or NYC metro area.

Ahh, good to know that chauvinism is alive and well.

The best suggestion out of that was Blaze. I really like that idea, actually.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ahh, good to know that chauvinism is alive and well.

The best suggestion out of that was Blaze. I really like that idea, actually.

So do I, since Atlanta Blaze is the name of a fantasy football team I created back in '97. It would fit right in with the New York Liberty fantasy basketball team I made up in 1990. Damn, I wish I had given thought to trademark registration and the like when I was younger.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Jeez, Bri... you'd think you really wanted them here. At least you'll be easy to spot when they televise games. Are they gonna make you pay for the entire section?

I'm not going to take offense at Philadelphia not having a WNBA team. In fact, I'm more than OK with it. I can't see myself going, and not having a WNBA team here rids me of any potential guilt David Stern would try to make me feel for not supporting two lousy pro hoops teams in my fair city. I can go back to ignoring the one "pro" team we have with my peace of mind intact. Better to allow them to flush money down the toilets in other cities.

By the way... how 'bout them Flyers? :D

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived